Old 12-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #1  
Loser :-)

S/C/G: 273/251/175

Height: 5ft8

Default I got a dog!! Plan on dog walking for exercise!

I got a 6 month old rottweiler puppy. Actually my boyfriend moved in Friday and I gained a dog in the bargain. He's huge and exuberant and needs tons of exercise. I'm planning on putting on my tenny shoes, grabbing an umbrella, snapping on the leash and let him drag me around the block a few times.

I've had rotts in the past so I'm used to big dogs but this guy is something else. He has no manners and hasn't learned to walk on a leash. I kept saying to the bf "we need to train this dog, we need to teach him some manners, we, we, we...." but in 4 days we've not really done anything. So today I am starting his kindergarten.
Michelle98272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:29 PM   #2  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Congratulations and good luck!
We have a large hound dog that keeps me moving on days even if I don't feel like it. She gives me the sad hound eyes until I pick up her leash. Needless to say, she is a very good motivator! Plus, there is no love like the unconditional love of a animal.
Training is always a treat but it will be very rewarding for you. Have fun!
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #3  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

I love rotties! I used to have a very sweet rottie girl, I miss her.

Clicker training works really well - especially for a large dog that physically overpowering using the old school correction training methods (slip collar and leash) would be difficult.

I adopted a pit bull who had been abused - I'd grown up using the choke collar method so I tried that with her. As soon as I put the slightest pressure on her she'd lie flat on the ground and refuse to move. I investigated clicker training and it worked super well.

Karen Pryor is one of the prominent people who has written about it. I highly recommend it.

And interestingly you can use clicker training with any animal - my niece is trying to train her hamster to do tricks with a clicker.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #4  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Nothing like sharing a walk with a dog...Such a bonding experience and great excersise. I just love a win-win situation! Have fun!
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

OldDogFoxy talked me into a walk when I got home last night from my Christmas party.
We walked and she reveled in the snow - got to one little mound, and she buried her entire head into it, when she pulled it out, I called her the Abominable Snow Puppy, since her whole head was covered.

I just wish I'd taken on more of the dog-walking tasks when it was a little warmer.

But get that puppy trained! It is harder to teach an old dog, and people who seem to be afraid of big dogs are more comfortable when they are well trained.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Sounds like you will have a walking/jogging buddy that will be willing to go whenever you are. My jogging buddy is a cranky teen that never goes willingly, but I make him do it anyway. He has fun despite himself
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 262/262/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm jealous! I'd love to have a dog (can't at my apartment), and the extra motivation to exercise that having a dog provides would be a wonderful added benefit! Have a ball walkin' the pooch : )
Nixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

Lucky you! I wish I still had a dog .
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

I love rotties!! We used to have a really big one and he was the love of my life. Sorry, but DH, came second to the dog. He was the best walking buddy. Although, he had no mercy when it came to the freezing cold or wet days. He didn't care, he wanted to walk. He'd lay by the front door, rest his head on the front step and lay there patiently until I relented. Gads, I miss him and those walks. Congrats and enjoy that bundle of fun!
Terri in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #10  
One pound at a time...

Congrats on the new puppy! I know personally with having a dog you pretty much have no choice as they need a walk every day.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM   #11  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Yay!! Dunno if I would have ever started walking if it weren't for my trusty Dobie.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 288.6/288.6/188

Height: 5'3"

Walking with dogs is SO FUN! We have two and they pull, ahem, walk around the block with us. It makes it more like playtime and less like exercise.
skinnymrs is offline   Reply With Quote