Old 11-05-2008, 01:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/175/150

Height: 5'5

Default Just made 4th trip to kids candy bowl.....

Hit a plateau so I decided to cut out sugar for awhile to change things up. Did great all week (2 days - haha!) and just now convinced myself that one candy would be okay -even though I knew I shouldn't and then took 3 more trips back - small kit kat, small bag peanut M& M's, mini 3 muskateers, and a single Reese Cup - not a mini. AAAArrrgh! I know those things won't kill me - but it's the not being able to control myself makes me SO mad!!! I wish I could just keep my commitment to myself when I say I'm going to do something...!!!
skinnyinsideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

you are doing so wonderful! look where you are! 71 lbs lost. Amazing! Go for a extra long walk later to burn off the extra calories. Don't let a few candies get you to down!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

You are doing great...but are sabotaging yourself. Come up with a strategy to deal with the candy, you might even want to throw out the candy. The kids don't need it, and right now I suspect that you are eating more of it than they are! That bowl will continue to taunt you.

You have done so wonderfully, don't let this get to you.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #4  
=D

Grrr! I know your frustration!

I find it really hard to resist sugary treats, especially when I take the first bite.

Try to keep yourself distracted. Good luck - you can overcome this.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

you've come a long way baby, don't let that stupid bowl of sugar control you and don't beat yourself up over a handful of candy. Like suggested already, do some extra exercise and a few cut backs here and there and it'll be like it never crossed your mouth! if it's too big a temptation for now, I agree to toss it or take it into your work and dole it out -- there's a ginormous bowl of kit kat bars on my desk right now LOL better they eat it than me!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:13 PM   #6  
No description available.

You've gotten some practical advice (and I need to take some of it!!!).

I kind of used to feel that way....compulsive eating. I had an aha moment one day while driving to binge and telling myself that I couldn't stop myself. Of course it was ridiculous. I am a grown woman in charge of my choices. I control my car, my hand, my wallet, my mouth. And so do you.

And sometimes I do want candy...or chips....or a bacon cheeseburger. And sometimes I eat them, cause they do still taste good to me. But I take responsibility for my choices.

The candy you listed won't throw all the weight you lost back on. It can trigger cravings, and I don't mean to underestimate the power of the cravings. But the bottom line is that you are in charge of your choices. It's okay to eat some candy. Most people like candy. You don't have to be perfect. It's not going to sabotage all your effort so far as long as you get back on your plan. So give yourself permission. Tell yourself "I am making the decision to eat this candy. I can choose to eat it or I can choose to put it back. But I am in charge of that decision." Either choice is not the end of the world. But it might help you to grasp the power of the situation---the power that belongs to you. You ARE controlling your choices. You ARE controlling your legs. It's okay to admit, "Yes I just want to eat this." Then eat it and move on, but take ownership of your choice and your actions.

You can do it!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

My advice would be to have your kids each pick out 3 or 4 treats that they want to keep. Tell them to put it in their rooms and out of your face. Throw out (or give away) the rest of the candy. Tell the kids why you are doing this and that you are not punishing them, but protecting yourself. If they are old enough to eat candy, they should understand the concept. Thankfully I don't really get tempted by candy, if I'm going to "cheat" it's going to be on fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy...lol

Last edited by Lori Bell; 11-05-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248/240/167

Height: 5'6

I am still in Halloween candy ****. I decided to throw away the fun-size Snickers candy bars that I froze. Did I stop eating them because they were frozen. Oh heck no. I did fine on Monday and Tuesday until around 11:00pm last night. After watching the election returns there I go like a sleep-walker on automatic pilot to the fridge. Whatever.
aliciag57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #9  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I too am dealing with the candies!!!! jeeze, what a giant PIA!!

Even with my children... the one candy treat per day is dominating their and my life!!

-just a few mintues ago I was telling DH I got a hold of myself and took some control back today but the damdamdam candies are a PIA. (pain in the a$$)

yep, I sooo get it!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #10  
You can call me Chantili

S/C/G: 227/225/130

Height: 5'6

I went through a bag of those mixed candy bars in a few days! I was so angry with myself. So I chose to dump every last piece of candy I had left over at the end of Halloween night into the last person's trick or treat bag. I felt like I had made huge progress in doing that.

I have read lots of really good words of wisdom. I am certain that you can do it, especially after all that you have already lost. Don't let this slight fallback slow you down!

(now I need to work on taking my own advice!)
Monkeybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/278.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Candy is such a huge weakness for me, too. It bothers me so much how little control I have exercised over myself. Today was pretty good, and tomorrow will be better. You can do it, skinnyinsideout; we all can! I just want to second what borntofly said: You've lost 71 lbs! Way to go! Seriously, what a wonderful accomplishment. Relish in that, and don't stew over it for too long. You had two good days; shoot for two more and then two more... Remember, you rock! And you're worth it!
schmalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I am wondering why it is that mothers think it's OK to raid their kids' Halloween bags.

My mother used to do this, and it made me so mad! I would be saving something to enjoy later, and she would eat it. She wouldn't even ask.

Of course, the unspoken message was, you better eat everything now before mom gets to it.

Maybe it would help to treat the kids' candy as being not yours?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 AM   #13  
Gone, baby, gone

S/C/G: 274/212.6/134

Height: 5'1"

I gave myself permission to eat as much candy as I wanted...and then one more piece. After not eating chocolate for about 6 months, it only took about 7 pieces of candy to give me a stomachache. The 8th piece was like icing on the chocolate cake, and turned my stomachache into an all out chocolate hangover.

The bad news? I used about 15 of my WW flex points on the candy. The good news? I dumped the rest of my candy into my roommate's candy bowl and don't even want to think about it!

It might not work for everyone, but I knew that was the only way I could deal with it!
staja is offline   Reply With Quote