Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #1  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Default looking for a decent brassiere (a ladies' issue)

Hello, ladies:

I was thinking this morning (as I sweat in the shaper I'm using as an alternative to a bra) about a long standing problem I have. It's worse at my larger sizes, I know when I'm slimmer I'll eventually find something I can use, but... well... right now it's almost impossible.

I'm carrying a lot upstairs. Most retail stores do not carry my cup size, I have to make due with wearing a larger band size to get into a DDD, but this isn't really acceptable. It's uncomfortable and it doesn't really stay up very well - it will ride up in the back and fall in the front.

Another problem is that my shoulders are very narrow, so the larger band size has a tendence to slip down my arms if the shoulder straps aren't carefully positioned. For example, the t-shirt I'm wearing (an XL) is perfect across the shoulders, but I could use another size up for the tummy and another size up from the tummy for my chest.

Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone offer a good suggestion that won't cost me $300? I know that all my clothes will look better if I have proper support on underneath... this has been a thorn in my side for years!

thanks,
Tera
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hi sweetie. Check out my post on bra shopping:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131864

I totally have the same problem. I buy a 38HH from Freya's line. Some of their bras don't fit the same way as their OTHER bras so if I can't get them at my bra shop, I make sure the online store has a good return policy. My recommendation is find a bigger bra store. If you can't (and there aren't a lot of them so I understand), get sized by a seamstress (not someone working in a bra shop that DOESN'T carry your size) and try online.

Good luck. And yes, I feel and look so much better with a good bra.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #3  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

not sure how big you need but i was getting really nice really comfy very supportive 48DDD at lane bryant.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #4  
Paleo Diet & CrossFit

S/C/G: 300/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilit tera View Post
Hello, ladies:

I was thinking this morning (as I sweat in the shaper I'm using as an alternative to a bra) about a long standing problem I have. It's worse at my larger sizes, I know when I'm slimmer I'll eventually find something I can use, but... well... right now it's almost impossible.

I'm carrying a lot upstairs. Most retail stores do not carry my cup size, I have to make due with wearing a larger band size to get into a DDD, but this isn't really acceptable. It's uncomfortable and it doesn't really stay up very well - it will ride up in the back and fall in the front.

Another problem is that my shoulders are very narrow, so the larger band size has a tendence to slip down my arms if the shoulder straps aren't carefully positioned. For example, the t-shirt I'm wearing (an XL) is perfect across the shoulders, but I could use another size up for the tummy and another size up from the tummy for my chest.

Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone offer a good suggestion that won't cost me $300? I know that all my clothes will look better if I have proper support on underneath... this has been a thorn in my side for years!

thanks,
Tera

I just ordered and received (and put on) a $60+ bra in a G cup - off ebay. It is new, and a brand I would never afford to buy retail. I paid. $21.99, including shipping. I* could buy my size in a specialty store locally but these are an even better brand and cheaper. Now I'm going to order 2 more from the same seller.

Things I've learned: do your homework. Go slow. Learn what are the best brands and who are the reputable sellers. Really research your size (it is very contradictory). Never buy an *off* brand as some really cheap stuff is dumped that way. Expect to make a few mistakes so keep purchases small for a good while.

Boy/girl do I understand!

Delita
delitaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #5  
Keep on Walkin'

S/C/G: 320/*Ticker*/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
not sure how big you need but i was getting really nice really comfy very supportive 48DDD at lane bryant.

I have to agree with Ladybug, I have the HARDEST time trying to find something that holds these puppies up! I found a GREAT bra at Lane Bryant....They hold me up (42 DDD), they go up to 44 H, the straps arnt those massive wide ones and its pretty sexy looking too! You can wear them with any shirt or tank top and it looks great. I think the brand is called CACIQUE, its the Microfiber balconette bra. Online right now its $32. But check out the whole selection they have there, they are worth the few extra bucks and last a long time even without hand washing.
NiftyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #6  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

watch LB for sales too buy one get one half off

and they have matching panties...,

:::::::::runs off singing I feel pretty oh so pretty:::::::::::::::
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #7  
Keep on Walkin'

S/C/G: 320/*Ticker*/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugnessa View Post
watch LB for sales too buy one get one half off
yea they are buy one get one half off right now
NiftyTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #8  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by delitaagain View Post
...Things I've learned: do your homework. Go slow. Learn what are the best brands and who are the reputable sellers. Really research your size (it is very contradictory)....
You are not even kidding! I'm so confuddled!
  1. The websites I visit tell me to put my "best fitting bra on" - won't that just give me the size of my "best fitting" bra???
  2. Some websites tell me to add 3 or 4 inches to my "under bust" measurement to find my band size, others say 4 or 5. Why am I adding more than 2 inches to the measurement in the first place? isn't the measuring tape right?

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice. After measuring a 10" difference between my "top of bust" measurement and my "mid bust" measurement, it's clear that no bra off the rack is going to be attractive, healthy, or comfy. You Lane Bryant shoppers are so lucky!

Tera
twilit tera is offline   Reply With Quote