Old 08-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #1  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Default 300 calories day-insanity

I was just reading some posts on a WLS board out of interest and someone was asking if they were taking in enough food- 5 weeks post surgery (2.5 oz yogurt, 2 tbsp chicken salad on 3 crackers -2x day). I was waiting for the next posts to say- no way. But they didn't. One poster said her doc recommended 300 calories per day for the first three months. 3 months!!! I know they can't handle quantity due to their stomach size but the rest of their body doesn't know that- I can't believe they aren't passing out. This absolutely cannot be healthy. I am hoping this is just one doc- I thought most WLS patients had to take in a significant amount of protein and their calories were under 1000 but close and they ate more often. I know that I have some days where i feel crappy (fatigue, headache) due to reduced calories and exercising- this does stress your body. I can't imagine how you would feel after undergoing surgery and eating 300 calories per day for any significant period of time. I doubt I even do that when I have the flu (ok-maybe on the worst day).
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I may be wrong but i am pretty sure that they are also instructed to take vitamins so their bodies arent suffering. Alsi they are under strict medical supervision so it is safe. And you have to think they have to start off slowly. At first only being able to consume liquids. Then pureed food. Its a big shock to their bodies and they would reverse all the hard work if they were stuffing their little stomachs. Ive seen reccomendations from 400cals all the way up to 1000.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Wow. That just sounds dangerous. How can you possibly get all the nutrition you need on 300 cals a day?

I mean I can see that maybe for a few days after surgery or even *maybe* a week. But for months?

That's wrong. Seriously wrong.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

I don't know enough about weight loss surgery to be able to properly respond. Perhaps you could direct your questions to those in the WLS forum who have experience with the subject.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Maybe I can help....

Most doctors are not worried about calories a few weeks post op. Their main concern is healing, hydration and vitamins. It can take several weeks before the swelling goes down so to put 1000 calories in a tiny tummy is not easy to do for some people, plus for a few weeks after surgery, no matter what you put in your stomach, it could be rejected, make you sick, or just plain ol hurt (but thats not the case with everyone).

A 300 calorie diet for months is ridiculous and I personally do not know anyone who's doctor has recommended they follow that. Maybe the patient heard the doctor wrong, maybe it was 300 calories per meal .

A lot of times patients do not get the proper dietary information from their doctors so they are confused what they should and should not do after surgery.

The girls on the WLS board would be happy to answer any questions you may have... come pay us a visit

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I also don't much about WLS but I do know that protein is key for them. Meaning, they need protein to help the healing process and throughout their lives it is a major emphasis. 300 calories/day for months obviously wouldn't get them the calories they need or protein they need to help them heal so I don't know why any doctor would recommend that. Perhaps Leenie was right and the patient heard wrong.

I remember when I went to a doctor who gave me acne medication but I thought she told me to put it on a sore I had. I ended up putting it on the sore and when I had my checkup, she started laughing because I had totally misheard her.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/150

Height: 5' 11"

Wow, 300 cals a day. That seem so little! I am hungry at 1,400 - 1,500 a day.

I know some people think that WLS is a quick fix - but I think some of the WLS patients go through very tough times. I wish them the best.
Findmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I agree, WLS is NOT a quick fix!! But I have to say that I don't think 300 calories a day is accurate.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote