Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 09:44 PM   #1  

Question Will you let me in?

I've been looking for some buddies to help me with my goal of weightloss but everywhere I go I'm always let down.

My goal? To lose about 140 pounds total.

Okay to tell you a little about myself: My name's Amanda and I live in SW Pennsylvania. I'm 17, soon to be 18 (April 16th!) and a senior in high school.

Okay, before someone says it... I'm going to cover this point. Why don't I go and visit the 'Teens Only' board? I've tried various times for a year and had no lasting success. It's depressing seeing girls saying they need to lose 15-25 pounds. They simply don't understand the boat I'm in! I did find a buddy finally who needed to lost about 100 pounds and things were going well.. about a month into the friendship, she got too busy for me and I just lost all hope. (At the time, I was also homebound. I had broken an ankle and was only able to hop on one leg with the help of a walker and was pretty much confined to one floor of my house and had to sleep in a rented hospital bed that had been installed in my living room. No way of exercising; no real outside time; not many friends. All I had was eating... BLAH!) I've posted a few more times looking for long-term weight loss buddies; I've got no responses except one IM simply telling me 'You're fat.' It's not like I need to be told... I KNOW! I also know with more encouragement I'll be able to stick to a program that's why I'm here to talk to others who are in it for the long haul and not just looking to lose ten pounds to fit in last year's summer bikini. Please don't turn me away?

I also look for encouragement in my family, but it's hard for them sometimes, too. They are in the same boat... My mom, my aunt, and I are both working on weight loss... and although you can get together and cheer each other on... we have our slumps together... so there's no one there to keep pushing us. So, I'm looking for the outside motivation to keep me moving, so in turn I keep my mom and aunt going. Does any of that make sense?

I could probably babble on all night, but I see that my beginning short memo has grown to an almost complete life story. So, I'll end here. I do hope to be posting here again, though.

'Manda
Old 03-29-2002, 08:57 AM   #2  
Losin It For GOOD!

Hey 'Manda,
of COURSE we will let you in!! There are no age restrictions on this board, it is for ANYONE who needs to lose 100+ lbs. Welcome!! I am sure you will find lots of great people, tips, accountability, and frienship here. I know I've only been here for a month, but I've made a few friends for life!!! I look forward to hearing what you have to say, I'm sure you can make valuable contributions to this board, as each and every person here does!! So a big huge

WELCOME BRWNEYEDGURL!!!!

We are VERY glad to have you!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 09:34 AM   #3  

My heart ached for you while reading your post. One of thoe worst feelings in this world to experience is to feel alone. Well, your not alone. You may only be turning 18 yrs old Manda, but you came across as a classy young lady. I am sorry that you haven't found any encouragement and support on 3FC in the past. But now..you've hit the jack pot. There are so many wonderful people here in this club, the support is amazing. I've been chatting with some of the same people for over a year, and I couldn't imagine ever losing touch.

This is much more than a weightloss support group. It's like family. Make yourself at home here and jump right in. There will always be someone here to inspire you, encourage you and support you. And even make you laugh. To feel that others do and can understand is a wonderful feeling. And support is key to losing weight. Post and read as much as you can, and believe me, you will be inspired to keep going. It is a long journey, but together, holding hands, we all can do it.

I am so happy you found us and you posted. I don't care how old you are or how much weight you have to lose. That doesn't matter here. When we first formed this group a long long time ago we shouldn't have named it The 100 Lb Club, we should have called it The Long Journey. Because it is. But it is a truly amazing journey not only physically, but mentally.

We all have different amounts of weight to lose.
We all follow different plans and diets.
We all are different.

But were all in it together. one lb at a time.

Welcome again!!! Wishing you the best along your journey. Believe in yourself. You CAN do it. It is possible.

Last edited by Jenniffer; 03-29-2002 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:47 AM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Wink WELCOME!!!

Well, Manda, I'm not sure that there is much more to say than what Miss Jennifer and Miss BethAnne have already put so well. I just wanted to chime in and say Welcome and we hope to see more of you!!!
Old 03-29-2002, 02:44 PM   #5  

Welcome!
Old 03-29-2002, 07:13 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Manda what a wonderful girl you are!!! I have a 16 almost 17 yrold Dd she does not ahve a weight problem but she has been helping me all along and wat a wonderful support. I can imangine how wonderful you are for your family. And to take this on. let them know they are welcome too. post often here and join us in our highs and lows. join me in my rededication for mohters day.

the goal is to stay OP and maintain our focus for the time till mothers day.

You will have ups and downs but if you have a day that you eat like a pig for a meal then well just get back up and brush off that sugar and fat and start again that very day.

you all need to forgive yourself and remember that we are humans and will make mistakes. I have lost 65 lbs and well i have been in a slump for a while and have gained some back just a few but motsly fluid now, but i have forgiven myself and am ready to get on tract with a vegence on monday (easter at grandmas, if you know what i mean) So I am ready and everybody can join me in the motherday recommitment!
Old 03-29-2002, 08:34 PM   #7  

Manda,

I want to hop in here (the pun surprised me - NOT intended, I'm sure!) and welcome you here, too. What these ladies have said is very true, and we will help you all we can.

I understand where you are coming from. I have been big all my life. When I was a senior, I remember thinking that the only job I'd be qualified for was the fat lady in the circus!! I sincerely hope that life does not seem that bleak in your mind, because it isn't. Life is wonderful no matter your size!

You are a very well-spoken person. I appreciated the eloquence of your post. Stay right here, and these ladies and I will help you in any way we can.

Just make sure that however you attack this journey, do it the 'right' way and keep yourself healthy.

Best of luck, 'manda.

And I hope everyone has a blessed Easter.

Love, Gayle

Last edited by velvet; 03-29-2002 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:20 AM   #8  
gbo

Welcome aboard Manda!!!
I wish I had had the good sense at your age that you do. Somehow I just always felt that there was soooooo much time.
Well my Darlin here I am at 48 fighting with my same weight problems. I am so proud of you for jumping in and doing something about it. Living life from the outside looking in is no fun!!! I congraulate you on you intelligence and determination to find a way. Success is by far more satisfying than any food on earth. Food may have been your best friend but now you have found great friends here. If one person gets busy there is always some terrific human being here to work with you and all on this board will stand by you through thick and thin. You are on your way!!!!!!!
Pam
Old 03-30-2002, 03:19 AM   #9  

Welcome Manda.....the people who posted ahead of me have said it so well. Everyone is welcome here. You seem extremely mature and know what you want to do. I think it is super you want to help your mom and aunt as well as yourself.

I have lost just over 100 lbs and truely believe that I could not have done it without the support of this board and the chat room. I look forward to reading more of your posts...so post often.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:16 PM   #10  

Welcome Manda. As everyone else has told you, you are very welcome here. Please keep coming back and posting. Together we are much stronger than we are apart. We will take one day at a time and we will succeed.

Carol
Old 03-30-2002, 08:40 PM   #11  
hot mom wanna be!

Angry Welcome!!

I just wanted to say of course you can post here--please post as much as you want, every day is fine. I find the more I post the better I do. It doesnt matter how old you are, really. We all have the same problems with eating too much and exercing too little. (or atleast some of us-now some are exercising like crazy!! )
I have lost 35 pounds last year and have kept it off for 9 months or so. I just recently joined Weight Watchers this week to lose some more. I need to lose 120 more pounds so I know how depressing it can be to need to lose so much!! I was just happy to keep the 35 off and not gain it back. Maybe you can set small goals for yourself like lose 10 pounds by the end of the school year and then 20 during the summer--dont get overwhelmed by the big picture--best of luck to you and God bless!!
lorelei
Old 03-30-2002, 11:05 PM   #12  
It's been so long...

S/C/G: 375.2/377/177

Height: 6'

Welcome Manda, glad to see you here, I've been fighting my weight off and on since I was about 17, (I'm almost 26 now, and at my all time high since the birth of my youngest daughter.) so I can totally understand where you're coming from. Stick with us, we try to be as supportive as we possibly can... and where we may not all run to you at once, you'll come to know us all :-)
Old 03-31-2002, 10:55 PM   #13  

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome. You've already made me feel so much better. I hope to get to know each and everyone of you through time.

Once again... thank you for letting me join your community.

'Manda
Old 04-03-2002, 08:50 PM   #14  
Highly Caffeinated

Manda,

I'm 22 years old and I'm in the same boat you are. It's good to know that not everyone near my age is a toothpick. I know what you mean with the teen message board and all these girls that have five pounds to lose (disgusting) and they have the nerve to call themselves fat. Anyways, I'm here for you, if you ever want to talk my AOL screen name is eleniinflorida, feel free to ad me to your buddy list. The support on this web site is phenomenal, I hope to see you here a lot.
Closed Thread