Old 07-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

Default Meat and Egg diet

Does anyone have any experience with the Meat and Egg diet? I just learned about it and it sounded like something I could try. Tell me the good, bad and the ugly of this diet

AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Do you mean Atkins? If not, it isn't one I've heard of. This opinion is entirely based on the title so forgive me if I misunderstand, but I'd be skeptical of any diet that limits you to a couple of foods (i.e. graprefruit, cabbage soup, etc.) People can rarely stick to them long term and it's easy to be deficient nutritionally if you aren't eating a well rounded diet.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

In my personal opinion, any diet you plan to start and then one day end isn't going to work long term. Losing weight is just step 1, keeping the weight off forever is the ultimate end goal. The only way to do that is to make permanent changes. I dont think living on meat/eggs is sustainable.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Yes, eating just meat and eggs might work for someone, as carbs are pretty much gone and for many it is a trigger food.
First off though one must remember that meat and eggs, will also have fats and proteins. It is all about the choice of meat when you are on this, because if you choose pork ribs, you will get more calories 9xgrams of fat! So doing meat and eggs has to be smart.
Further more it is all about permanent change. It might not be the worst way to go, if you feel that sweets ask for me sweets. Perhaps a week or 2 might not be bad, but after that you might want to invest your time in how to eat for the long term, yet with empasis on the same....close to south beach which stresses lean meats and reduced sugar.
My typical day is 50% protein, 25% fat, and 25 carbs. If I feel hungry I do reach for snack that is protein high as opposed to the other way, that actually curbs the craving faster, and less amount is required, at least for me.
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Anything with a name like "The [fill in food here] Diet" is pretty much guaranteed to be a fad and/or crash diet, both of which will not yield lasting results. If you want "meat and eggs," I highly suggest trying something like South Beach, which is much more well rounded, as it includes veggies and fruits and whole grains. But I also warn that whatever plan you chose, please chose one with a real book of guidelines to follow--too many people have created their own interpretations of plans online that get people all mixed up. For example, a lot of people think South Beach is almost the same as Atkins, but they have many differences, so you really do need to read the book for your chosen plan (most libraries carry lots of dieting books, or you can curl up in a chair at Barnes & Noble for a while ).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #6  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

The "meat and egg" diet is NOT an Atkins diet. I was on Atkins and read his books. He never said to go without carbs. His initial phase restricts carbs to only 20 grams a day and then you gradually add the good carbs back into your diet. Atkins didn't work for me but I know people who have seen great success.

The "meat and egg" diet comes from a diet called *******. It is highly controversial and in my opinion dangerous. You might lose weight on a fad diet, but the chances of keeping the weight off for the rest of your life is slim to none.

Read the stories from people like Glory and the other members here who have lost weight and kept it off and mimic them. That is what I'm doing because this isn't a diet, it is the way I will eat forever.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/145/145

Please listen to the very wise people that have posted. Fad diets are no good. The honest truth is that you have to find something that you can live with and maintain for life. There are no quick fixes. How do I know this? After 30 years of yoyo dieting and trying every quick fix and fad that came along. You have to find a food program that is healthy for your body and allows you enough variety that you can stick with it. I’ve gone on diets that have allowed me to lose 5-8 pounds in a week, but then gain it right back plus more. Please don’t fall into that trap.
tingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have tried it and you will lose, but I personally just couldn't eat eggs every day. If you want to try it do it for only 2-3 days as it is not a healthy diet.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 226/175/125

Talking ******* is not just meat and eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pita420 View Post
The "meat and egg" diet is NOT an Atkins diet. I was on Atkins and read his books. He never said to go without carbs. His initial phase restricts carbs to only 20 grams a day and then you gradually add the good carbs back into your diet. Atkins didn't work for me but I know people who have seen great success.

The "meat and egg" diet comes from a diet called *******. It is highly controversial and in my opinion dangerous. You might lose weight on a fad diet, but the chances of keeping the weight off for the rest of your life is slim to none.

Read the stories from people like Glory and the other members here who have lost weight and kept it off and mimic them. That is what I'm doing because this isn't a diet, it is the way I will eat forever.

I lost 51 lbs on ******* and I ate lean meats, eggs, chicken, fish, whey protein powder, yogurt, cheese, fresh veggies and EV Olive Oil. What is dangerous about that? I believe whoever told you that it is a meat and eggs diet was mistaken. This was the first time I was on a real low carb diet and lost 51 lbs in 4 months. The controversy is from former members who made up their own diet, failed and blamed the diet and its creator. I will eat this way forever! I feel great and my doctor approved the diet.
GonnaGetThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185/169/115

Height: 5'2"

Hello AuntChuChu,

I'm not at all knowledgeable about diets, but the first thing I thought when I saw your thread title was 'cholesterol'. My eating is now organised around reducing cholesterol, so I'm doing my very best to cut out meat and eggs, reducing meat to three times a week max and no eggs at all. I used to eat two eggs pretty much every day, and meat two or three times a day, I'm only 36 but6 my cholesterol is a problem. You should at least speak to your doctor before trying this diet, as I say I'm not at all knowledgeable but it would be good to get his/her okay before going ahead.

Good luck with whatever you do
tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:26 AM   #11  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I have to mention to have your kidney function checked out before you are going to have that much protein every day. It would not be me if I did not.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #12  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonnaGetThin View Post
I lost 51 lbs on ******* and I ate lean meats, eggs, chicken, fish, whey protein powder, yogurt, cheese, fresh veggies and EV Olive Oil. What is dangerous about that? I believe whoever told you that it is a meat and eggs diet was mistaken. This was the first time I was on a real low carb diet and lost 51 lbs in 4 months. The controversy is from former members who made up their own diet, failed and blamed the diet and its creator. I will eat this way forever! I feel great and my doctor approved the diet.

So, are you saying that your daily diet doesn't consist of any complex carbs, fiber, fruit, or veggies? If that is the case and your doctor actually approves of your diet then have at it. All I know is that I read a whole of negative that far outweighed any positive. But, we are all different and have to follow our own path to weight loss. Good luck to you.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #13  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Wow.. I had never heard of *******, and really didn't have any clue where to begin looking because I never learned the language of *, but my buddy google and I played around and figured it out. All I can say is "HOLY WOW!"

I can't believe anyone would consider eating like that safe! Anyone who believes in it more power to you, but OBVIOUSLY (as it has been demonstrated), it either 1. does not work, or 2. is totally unsustainable.

I really believe in to each their own, but I hope that everyone does their homework! Losing weight isn't just about losing weight, it's about learning to eat RIGHT!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 AM   #14  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
In my personal opinion, any diet you plan to start and then one day end isn't going to work long term. Losing weight is just step 1, keeping the weight off forever is the ultimate end goal. The only way to do that is to make permanent changes. I dont think living on meat/eggs is sustainable.
I totally agree! It's a life change. Not a quick fix. Yeah you probably will lose weight but you don't want to risk gaining it all back because you didn't teach yourself how to eat healthy. For me losing weight isn't just about the "weight" It's also a learning process for me. I'm learning how to eat right, and exercise. I hope this helps
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote