3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   What do you do when you want to snack? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/139894-what-do-you-do-when-you-want-snack.html)

Sandi 04-15-2008 02:32 PM

What do you do when you want to snack?

It's 1:28, I only ate lunch an hour ago. I am not hungry, but I want to eat. I have a drink here that I keep sipping, but it's not doing it. This is when I'd normally go get some cookies or a candy bar from the breakroom.

I am thinking that maybe I need to get some sugar-free hard candies?

This is only a problem on afternoons that I do not teach. I have an afternoon snack, but it's too soon and I want to have it at the end of the day because I am having a late day.

What do you do when you have the "i want to eat" brain?

Heidelitos 04-15-2008 02:36 PM

You could try chewing gum...it keeps your mouth busy!! Or perhaps you need to keep your brain busy instead and distract yourself. I've also heard that "protein water" fills you up a lot, although I've never tried it myself.

Good luck!

brn2bthn 04-15-2008 02:40 PM

Chew a piece of gum, find something to keep your mind occupied like doing a puzzle or reading, if you like celery munch on an 11-12 inch stalk, it's only 10 calories, if possible take a walk outside and enjoy the fresh spring air. Hope this helps some.

Ann Marie

Lovely 04-15-2008 02:40 PM

Distraction tends to work best for me. I focus on things other than food. Keep my hands & eyes busy. Usually I have work or chores to do anyways, so I quickly get to those.

jillybean720 04-15-2008 02:45 PM

You mentioned a breakroom, so I am assuming you're at work, so most "distractions" are off limits. Gum and hard candies are good ideas, as suggested. I like to brush my teeth when I feel the munchies at work (I keep a toothbrush, toothpaste, and plastic cup in my desk) because when I have that minty clean feeling, I don't usually want to eat, plus some foods just plain taste bad when your mouth tastes like toothpaste!

Another thing I might suggest is to prepare for this time by packing things you can eat that won't add too many calories and can take a while to munch on just to keep your mouth occupied. I'm thinking things like celery, sliced cucumber, or dill pickles. If you have room for some extra calories, nuts still in shells are good, to, because one serving can take a while to eat when you have to crack them open.

Lyn2007 04-15-2008 02:47 PM

When I feel like I want to snack but don't really need to or don't have the calories, I

1. Drink a glass of water
2. Have a cup of tea
3. Eat a piece of fruit, protein water, 6 almonds, gum, a hard candy, or a Viactiv Chocolate calcium chew
4. ride the exercise bike
5. paint my nails
6. clean the toilet (this really works well)
7. Take off all my clothes and stand in front of a full length mirror and ask myself what I want

midwife 04-15-2008 02:49 PM

When I really have the munchies and they are not going away, I will eat strawberries or an apple or carrots. Something crunchy and a little (or a lot!) sweet. Yeah, there are some calories but it is better than some other choices! A protein shake would be another choice. I like those viactive chew calcium supplements too. When I am craving something sweet and I have not had my calcium for the day, they hit the spot.

The other thing you could do is drink a glass of water and look at the clock. If you are still "munchy" in an hour, have a small snack. Hardboiled eggs or string cheese are nice options.

Popcorn?

I suppose one philosophy would be to suck it up and be strong. :lol: But when I have that little nagging at the corner of my brain, I tend to try to make choices that will satisfy the nagging but that are on plan.

Robin41 04-15-2008 02:50 PM

I always carry a reduced fat string cheese thingy for when I am just in a snacking mood. It seems like real food and the protein helps keep me full and satisfied till my next real eating time rolls around.

I understand that you're not really hungry but the little extra protein can really calm the cravings for the rest of the afternoon.

It's like preventive maintenance, for me. Keeps a little problem from turning into a big one.

famograham 04-15-2008 02:55 PM

I know the feeling Sandi :) :hug:

I agree, something really low cal, like celery, cucumber, dill pickles, baby carrots...etc..

Maybe pack a container of really low cal veggies cut up into strips, and take that to work with you in the morning. (no dip though, cause it adds up really fast!) That way you can munch when the need strikes, and not be eating many calories at all.

:hug:
Linda

findingfawn 04-15-2008 03:36 PM

really low cal snacks or gum. I keep a huge stash of Extra gum.. every flavor you can get your paws on..lol. I was all excited at the store last night because they had apple flavored..lol.

I have come to the conclusion that if I want to snack, I'm not gonna fight it because then when I do get to snack on something I wayyyyy over do it. I just try to make a wise decision.

Schmoodle 04-15-2008 04:08 PM

Sometimes, I can ignore it, drink water or tea, etc.
But other days the snack monster is ferocious! Usually this is the week prior to TOM. During that week I split my food up into all snacks, so I have something I can eat about every hour throughout the day.
I like the protein waters too, and lately I have been cooking up a bag of edamame in the pods and keeping them in the fridge. Shelling and eating these makes me think I'm eating peanuts or something fun. Plus they're yummy and full of protein which will help fill you up. I like the protein snacks because if I eat fruit or raw veggies, it might help for a minute, but then I just want to keep on eating.

barbygirl43 04-15-2008 05:30 PM

I too ditto the chew a piece of gum. I also will sit on it and tell myself that if I still want a snack in 15 minutes I will eat it. I've learned in times past that if I don't go ahead and have something small, then I'll end up binging later. Then if I'm still hungry when it comes time for when I would've had my snack I may have a small one then as well—I keep 100 cal. snack packs by my desk and usually have plenty of yogurt, bananas, apples, celery, cucumbers, carrots, etc. in the fridge at the ready. :) When it's TOM I automatically plan in two morning snacks and two afternoon snacks just because I've found that if I eat every 1 1/2 hours or so I don't crave as much.

Tai 04-15-2008 05:43 PM

I also chew Extra gum when the munchies hit. A few months ago I learned how to knit and that's been a lifesaver. It keeps my hands and mind busy!

GirlyGirlSebas 04-15-2008 05:48 PM

I plan plenty of snacks into my days as I've always been a snacker.

One word of caution....be careful of the sugar-free hard candies. Eating too many can really mess you up. Hubby gave me a bag of SF Werthers for Valentine's Day. I ate 6 or 7 of them. That evening, I had the worst diarrhea I've ever had and ended up in the ER with terrible stomach pains the next day.:dizzy: How embarrasing to find out that I didn't have a horrible disease afterall!

Schmoodle 04-15-2008 05:59 PM

Rhonda, I second that, I've had issues with those candies too, and if you have self-control issues and eat more than a serving, it'll really mess you up.

Apple Cheeks 04-15-2008 07:30 PM

I will sometimes have some coffee or diet soda (Moutain Dew Code Red), because the caffeine is an appetite suppressant. I don't do this often, though.

Other strategies I use are chewing strong minty-flavored gum (like Altoids), or drinking some water and waiting to see if it's really hunger I am feeling or was I just thirsty?

If I do snack, I will usually have a piece of fruit, or a veggie (like a tomato). I recently discovered mini-pitas (a serving size is 5 pitas, 140 calories), and I will dip them into salsa or hummus. Sometimes I will have peanuts, or a small package of beef jerky.

And sometimes I just ignore it and wait until my next meal to eat anything.

SeaWave 04-15-2008 08:06 PM

Like many, I find that my worst cravings are at my TOM. Then, something "substantial" like crackers and PB works for me. Most other times, I'm ok if I remember to snack mid-morning, mid-afternoon and evening, but the snacks have to be a fruit, vegetable and evening small piece of cheese or a few almonds. Otherwise, I get cravings to the point of distraction. That's when I dive for the celery, then the gum, then the tea, then the... you get the idea! As long as it's low-cal and not full of additives, I'll try it! ;)

math puppy 04-16-2008 02:35 AM

when i get that "want to snack feeling" at night, i go to bed as soon as i can. not only does sleeping keep me from eating, but i get to be exciting about waking up for breakfast! hee hee

well i know you cant got to bed at work, so this isnt much help to you. but just thought i would share anyways.

:D

rockinrobin 04-16-2008 08:13 AM

If you absolutely can't distract yourself, and get past the feeling, which usually DOES pass within a few minutes if you "get yourself out of the moment", I find a bag (I always have these with me) of raw string beans are GREAT for mindless munching. Really crunchy and satisfying.

Another great snack that I like is cucumber salad. I bring it to work with me every single day. Some sliced cucumbers, kirbys actually, vinegar and Splenda. Very yummy.

I also chew gum and I keep tic tacs with me. They're 1 1/2 calories a piece. Then of course there's the hot tea, a diet soda or water.

Beverlyjoy 04-16-2008 08:24 AM

For me...it's usually sf gum, a very small dab of natural peanut butter, hard boiled egg white, sf candy, fruit, tea, decaf coffee.........

Switzie6 04-16-2008 09:23 AM

I'm with Rhonda and Schmoodle on the sugar free candies. At work we once had someone bring in SF salt water taffy from the shore. There were 3 of us that ate 5 or more pieces. One person spent the afternoon in the bathroom. I spent the afternoon in severe stomach pain, and the other person felt sick also. One or two pieces is ok but watch out!

jillybean720 04-16-2008 11:58 AM

For the sugar free candies, just check the ingredients. It's usually the sugar alcohols that cause the, erm, gastrointestinal distress. You can find sugar free hard candies that are made with sugar substitutes and NO sugar alcohols, which should make your tummy much happier.

I also second the diet soda. The carbonation always makes me feel full with no calories and gives me a different flavor in my mouth and something to put in my hand, which is usually al I need when I'm having a mental craving and am not really physically hungry.

tamaralynn 04-16-2008 07:16 PM

I'll chew on gum. I love the new Stride gum, the flavor really truly does last! I put one in my mouth right after lunch today and kind of forgot I was chewing it until 4 when it was time to go home!

xGurlyGrlx 04-16-2008 10:30 PM

When I am feeling snacky, I want things I shouldn't even be thinking about! Usually I want something salty. So I eat green olives. They are really salty and I can't eat more than a few...and they are like - maybe 5 calories an olive. I get the big ones stuffed with different things - like garlic and jalapenos. I also drink crystal light for something sweet. That usually satisfies me.

jitterfish 04-16-2008 11:39 PM

When I want a snack I make myself wait five minutes to make sure that it is hunger and just my brain saying ohhh food. Of course this doesn't always work haha. Depending on what kind of snack I want will depend on what I get. I have fat free sorbet, great for after dinner when that "I just need something else" kicks in. I take time putting it in a glass (so I can see how much I eat and glasses are smaller than bowls), get out a long handled teaspoon and savour it. If its something salty then I often have a handful of pretzels or a glass of water (I don't crave salt often and find usually it is more I am needing a drink). When I just want something to give me some filling, a snack bar or a banana.

SuchAPrettyFace 04-17-2008 12:31 AM

I guzzle 16 ounces of water. I wait a bit & guzzle 16 more. I wait a little longer. If I am really hungry then it will have to be a snack. Peanut butter on a spoon, or some unsalted nuts and some fruit. Or a quick pack of oatmeal & raisins & cinnamon.

Also if you want the carbonation w/o the chemicals, seltzer is a great substitute & comes in a lot of great flavors.

And, yes, sugarless gum works wonders.

LittleBigGirl 04-17-2008 02:27 AM

I smoke but don't do that!:nono: Eat veggies as everyone said. Or I love 100-cal. Smart Pop microwave popcorn (1 WW point/ bag!!!). Also I always have my very moist and delicious 1 WW point cupcakes on hand:T. Here's the recipe:

1 box store bought cake mix ($0.99!)
1 (15 oz.?) can pumpkin puree (< $2.00!!)
1 cup water
1/4 c. egg substitute (optional)

mix all together until smooth. Batter will be thick. Follow the temp. and time directions on the box. You can do a cake but I recommend making 24 cup-cakes. 24 for $3.00!:eek: The pumpkin adds a ton of Vitamin A and you can't even taste it! :carrot: I make these all the time and wrap them individually in plastic wrap and store in an air tight container so they're like the 100-cal. packs that I can't afford to buy.

LittleBigGirl 04-17-2008 02:41 AM

Oh I forgot! I also get Light Baby Bell cheeses By Laughing Cow at Trader Joe's (only place I've found them). They're individually wrapped and have a wax coating that's fun to peel away. I carry one to the gym and have it with a banana after I swim. I've recently started to carry them to school with me so I can have a quiet snack while I'm studying in the library. 1 WW point.

AuntChuChu 04-17-2008 12:51 PM

I suffer from the same anxiety, eat then want something else. I won't be really hungry, just "want" something. I find that I am so weak that I sometimes give in and eat a no no.
Sandi, thanks for the ticker tips.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar091...0/150/287/.png

AuntChuChu 04-17-2008 01:03 PM

Sandi, I got the flowers to do, but now I want to erase the hearts.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar091...0/150/287/.png

traci in training 04-17-2008 06:22 PM

I think it's funny how we all do so many of the same things. Ditto celery, ditto green olives, ditto five almonds, ditto peanut butter, ditto popcorn.

The other thing I like is a tootsie roll. I can chew one of those things for ten minutes (especially hard old ones) and that chocolate seems to satisfy me.