Old 03-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default didn't want to have to make this post...

but i think i may have fallen off the wagon, or at least one foot is off.

i've visited home more often than usual lately (i'm in college) and it tends to be pretty hard to control the food i get when i am there, though i usually do well with just watching my portions. the last time i was home though, i didn't. then i came back to school and had pizza two nights in a row. i didn't want to have to come on here and ask for encouragement to stay on track. i thought i had it in me to not fail.

i just don't know why i do this to myself. i know that that pizza was not near as satisfying as seeing the scale go down. i just wish i had it in me to resist these foods.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 267.2/254/150

Height: 5'6

Hey it really helps to right down your slip ups like today I had 3 cinnamon rolls The ones you bake. And after I think about me eating those im not even sasfied with them, they werent even that good and I just felt yucky after, I totally wasted a day. You'll be just fine girl ::
ThatsSpify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 02:11 AM   #3  

Does going home to visit trigger you? I know it does me -- I could do great for months but when I visit my family, I step back into some kind of creapy role I used to play, "the one who eats too much ". I've started bringing some of my own food to my parent's when I visit, so I know there will always be things I can have that keep me on plan.

Most importantly, move past your mistakes, learn what trigger them in the first place and hop back up on the wagon!!

Good luck
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #4  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

First of all, stop knocking yourself for being human.

Everyone has slipped up on their journey, some of us a few times more than we'd like to, but we always get back on track. It's ok to enjoy pizza every now and then, so think of it as one of your "treat" days, and just move on. I love Chinese food myself, and we go to a buffet once every month or 6 weeks. I let myself enjoy it- but I make sure I grab high protein and veggie stuff first, with a little couple of treats on the side.

If you love pizza, but have a hard time giving it up, how about allowing yourself a couple of slices once a week, so long as it is within your calorie range for the day? Just eat low calorie veggies and fruit that day, and enjoy the pizza for your dinner with a side salad or more veggies.

My oldest daughter is 16 and is dieting (she has 20 pounds to lose), and pizza is a staple in her diet. She sometimes eats it twice a day, but counts the calories of each slice and stays within her calorie limit. The rest of the day, she has a high fiber cereal, fruits, and veggies. Pizza is not off limits, so long as you count the calories. However, if it is a trigger food for you, you may need to limit it as to how much you have it while losing weight, hence why I said above, have it once a week or every other week.

As one great poster once said here (kaplods) "this isn't a race to the finish line." Hang in there, keep posting, and don't let yourself get discouraged. You CAN do this!!!!

Last edited by Steelslady; 03-29-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile Join the club (or at least the one I belong to)

I had the same thing happen to me when I returned "home" after not having been there for 3 years. I was returning because my Mom was critically ill but it brought up a lot of strong emotions even while we were taking off in the plane. Once I got there I felt so relaxed I forgot what my dieting goals were and my plans, etc. I hadn't had my favorite pizza ( a Mom and Pop pizzeria that makes the BEST PIZZA I have ever tasted!) in 3 years! I nearly ate a whole large. I bet if someone would have clocked me, it would have been in record time too! I even took a photo of it so I could put it up on my pc to look at. This pizza I have been having since I was 13 years old and that was a long time ago.....trust me!!

Yes, I felt the same way you did. I thought I was immune to failing but I wasn't. I just wish I would have eaten it slower because I don't know when I will be back for another one. We were all so hungry that night that we all were "inhaling" it.

I did make one decision though when I returned. I would rather wait and have my pizza there then have all of these delivery pizzas that don't hold a candle to this one. If you are going to "treat" yourself, make sure it is worth it! Next time I return home (and I do hope that it is this year sometime) I plan on ordering one large one just for me....and no I will not share!!!

I agree with what has been said here. If you are going to "cheat" or "treat", whichever way you look at it, at least, enjoy it!! Exhale every couple of bites or something.

I got back on track when I returned home and I guess now that there has been some distance between me and that meal, my overall weight lose efforts haven't been worse for the wear.

Forgive yourself and try to do "damage control" the next time. And, yes, there will be a next time----if you go into it thinking that way, you can PLAN for it and enjoy it "almost" guilt-free". Almost.

Last edited by pamatga; 03-29-2008 at 08:04 AM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Hey there sweetie... you didn't fall off the wagon, your wagon is just taking a different path. Darn those oxen for taking the trail you didn't want to go on, now get out your whip and set them straight! You are the wagon master and you can get back in control!

findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:48 AM   #7  
TBL Blue Team Member!

S/C/G: 294.5/ticker/170

Height: 6'0

Everyone has slipups! You are not alone. You just need to get back on plan and move on. Don't let a small slipup stop you from continuing on your journey! You can do it!!
Hopefulpinkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #8  

Height: 5ft6'

Here is the way I have to look at it when I slip up. Life is like a road trip. If you get off track you dont turn around and go home. You find the closest available exit and continue on. It may take you longer to get to your destination but in the end you still get there.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #9  

thank you guys so much. i feel about a million times better.

yes home does trigger my bad eating habits. i have a very high strung family who fights all the time and food is like my hiding place. and i guess to be fair the last time i was there my mom did make my favorite meal, so i was entitled to some of it. maybe not as much as i had though!

and i have been doing well on the pizza thing too. i get a thin crust and work the calories in. but the other night i ordered from a local place where i don't know the calories and shared it with my friends. i decided that i liked it so much i wanted to have it again... and shared it with only one friend. i used to eat stuffed crust pizza from pizza hut all the time... and not just a little of it either. i just find myself wanting it sooo much that i don't know if i have it in me to say no. cause it can only be ordered in a large, and i know if i even eat one i will want to eat the whole thing. thus why i haven't ordered stuffed crust since i started trying to lose weight.

and it does sound like a good idea to write these things down. i need to remember that as tasty as that obnoxiously large amount of pizza was, it's not worth it for how bad it made me feel.

thanks to all of you. i don't know what i would do without this forum.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

There is something about going to my parents that makes me want to eat too. My family doesn't push food on me, they really don't even have much in the house, we get along really well, but something about being with them makes me want to eat.

The slip-ups do happen though...we are only human. Diets are tough sometimes. I usually try to take some food with me...it's just easier.

Hang in there.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 189

Height: 5ft 1

Hi there , you just had a moment of weakness , which diet are you on ?
Just find your strong head and jump right back into it . After all we are only human :-)
brit40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 AM   #12  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Don't ever feel ashamed or that you are a failure because you need to come in here for support and encouragement!
That's why we are here. This is a tough, tough journey, but you don't have to do it alone!
What is your eating plan? Are you writing down everything?
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I'd be amazed to find anyone who hasn't had one of those moments. I don't care to count mine

That you are aware it's happened and want to change it is a huge step in the right direction. Next time you go home, why not try and plan out your meals in advance. Even if you are at the mercy of someone else for your "big meal" of the day, you can still plan to eat smaller, healthier meals throughout the day. You might also try to plan in some exercise—even if it's walking after dinner—so you will feel in control and not so out of control.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:33 AM   #14  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

everyone has fallen at least once! its ok! just as long as you get back up! you can do it!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #15  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

This is precisely why I LOVE calorie counting on fitday... Beforehand I would have just been like "hmmm... two slices of pizza... probably like 500 calories"

But now I have researched online just how bad (calorie wise) a standard, non-thin-crust piece of pizza is... and if I REALLY REALLY Want pizza for dinner that night, then I plan accordingly.

I type in everything I want to eat that day, I pack my lunch for work and eat ONLY that between 9-5... I sit at work on Fitday.com and punch in what I have for work-eating... what I will eat when I go home... and how much pizza I can "afford" to eat that evening.

If you want it--- you make it work. You just have to pre-plan what you really WANT. The one thing I have learned with calorie counting is that I cannot AFFORD to make impulse purchases. Nearly everything I eat is pre-planned. And it's AWESOME--- b/c that way I can eat what I WANT and know that I'm behaving and yet enjoying what I want.

(Hence why weekends are tough b/c I don't have that structure that I have during the work week!)

But it's worked so far--- 30 pounds since January 1st!!!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote