Old 03-04-2008, 04:41 AM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Question Treadmill Question

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem with your neck hurting after being on the treadmill for 2 or 3 days? I have noticed if I get on it and walk at a good pace the next day my neck will ache....any suggestions or solutions? I carry my work stress in my neck so it gets stiff sometimes.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #2  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

What are you doing with your arms while you walk? Are you pumping them too hard or raising your shoulders? Try to keep your arms about waist level and don't swing too hard. Also, watch your posture...keep your chin up and don't slump.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #3  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
What are you doing with your arms while you walk? Are you pumping them too hard or raising your shoulders? Try to keep your arms about waist level and don't swing too hard. Also, watch your posture...keep your chin up and don't slump.
I second that! Don't read anything while on a treadmill either.

If you are doing all this, and still having soreness, why not work those neck muscles? If you are at the gym, grab the heaviest dumbbells that you can handle. Arms lowered, lift up your shoulders to your ears (technically, not literally) and do 10-12 reps of these shrugs. Increase the weights and do another 10-12, etc. If your gym has a machine that can do rear deltoids, do this as well (this will work your trapezeus and your delts). My trainer explained to me that these neck muscles are usually overlooked. Everyone is concerned about their shoulders, etc, and neglect this muscle
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #4  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

I think I will concentrate on my posture and go slower with out pounding down. I will also do my old neck stretches before I get on and see if that makes a difference. I really like the elliptical better but I know I have to get my endurance up some before I get on there. Sunday or Monday I will go back to the gym and try it.

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by DollyR; 03-05-2008 at 04:35 PM.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

I read recently that you shouldn't cling to the handles cause that can cause you to sort of hunch over. I agree, try to swing your arms naturally.
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Ya burn more calories if you don't hold on, too.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote