3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Who are you putting out of business? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/134859-who-you-putting-out-business.html)

shelby897 02-19-2008 03:35 PM

Who are you putting out of business?

So, since you started your weight loss journey, whose stock will be going down? :D

My top 5 --
1. McDonald's has lost quite a bit of money from me, since I now consider them diet poison but used to visit them probably twice a week.

2. Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies -- LOVE THEM -- but they are obviously not diet-friendly.

3. Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream (multiple flavors) -- I think I will miss them the most -- but I've finally learned that no, a pint is not "single serving size"!!

4. Any makers of cheese danish -- not even interested in you anymore -- you always made me sick anyway because I had to eat all of it!!

5. Cheese nips white cheddar -- not sure why, but can't have these in the house or I would eat the whole box.

So -- I calculated the other day and found out I'm saving approximately $20 to 30/week by not eating my trigger foods -- wish I had the resolve to actually put it away for something.

Amarie2pt0 02-19-2008 03:44 PM

I LOVE this post!

I am causing financial distress for the following business:

1. McDonalds - Ditto. They miss my money, I do not miss them.:carrot:

2. My local coffee shop - Sorry folks, I love you, but I CAN NOT have anymore of your calorie-laden pastries or fatty sandwiches.

3. Taco Johns - see item 1.

4. Walmart (Oh, I wish) - I don't have to buy bigger clothes every month anymore.

:D

nelie 02-19-2008 03:45 PM

1) Lane Bryant :) (Although I am boosting others business)

2) Indian restaurants (sigh, for the love of Naan)

3) Dreyers (this is old school because I haven't had them in YEARS but before I started losing weight, I used to buy ice cream quite a bit. I'd also say I used to love 'Fat Boys' too)

4) French bread and cheese makers (used to love eating that combo, although any type of bread would do)

5) More recently, Dairy, egg and meat producers industry. I've given up all animal products which I used to eat quite often.

BrandNewJen 02-19-2008 03:50 PM

Shelby--- I agree----- anyone who says it's "expensive to diet" is CRAZY! The amount of money I was spending on JUNK is sooooo much less than I'm spending now!!! Plus, due to the SHEER LARGE AMOUNT of food I was consuming, I'm spending less now that I'm acutally following portion recommendations and portion control.

1. Ice cream makers (haven't bought a 1/2 gallon of ice cream in a LONG time... before it was 1 or 2 a week!!!)

2. My local bakery--- those "mega muffins" were KILLER delicious... and killer on my arteries, I'm sure!

suitejudyblueeyes 02-19-2008 03:53 PM

:lol: This is a fun thread!

1) Coffee shop 1 block away from my office -- I was going there every day for a latte and a cookie. For afternoon "energy." I'm pretty sure it was putting me to sleep instead... And draining me of $4/day.

2) CTS - The city bus service. I'm walking more often so they miss out on at least $0.75/day from me! (Gonna do some damage with that one, huh?)

3) The little Chinese Buffet place down the street. Was going there regularly with coworkers. The food was never that good anyway... and that's $7 in my pocket every time I say no!

4) I'm pretty sure I was single-handedly supporting my neighborhood IHOP. The staff there recognized me. I stopped going when I was waiting for the bus one day and a guy came up to me and started talking as if he knew me... and I realized it was a waiter I had at IHOP.

5) The Reese's Miniatures industry. The grocery stores can't figure out why they have a surplus in stock--why aren't they selling as many as they used to?

I was going to say the guy who resized my wedding ring repeatedly... Unfortunately he profits either way -- I stop spending money on getting it sized UP, only to have to go pay to get it sized DOWN. :/

bigtxmomma 02-19-2008 03:58 PM

Hahahah! Greatest thread. Ever.

Their stock is falling sharply:

1. Sonic -- Holy cow. My favorite fast food place. I really liked their burgers. They had this great burger with fried jalepenos and a weird sauce. So good.

2. Frito-Lay -- Sweet, sweet chips!

3. Cocoa farmers everywhere -- Yea.

4. Anyone who makes onion rings -- Another weakness.

5. Martha Stewart -- Sorry, Martha, but I just can't make any of your foods that tempt me so delightfully when I read your magazine.

PhotoChick 02-19-2008 03:58 PM

Oh goodness.

Frito Lay - Mostly sour cream and onion potato chips and Cheetos.
Pizza Hut - Ordering pizza for dinner was at *least* a once a week thing for us
McDonalds - "a large order of fries and a diet coke, please"
Sonic - 2 corn dogs, an order of cheddar peppers, and a late night sundae. Whoa baby!

The deli downstairs from my office: pasta bar on Tuesdays, taco salad bar on thursdays, homemade mac and cheese on Mondays (a large, please), and throw in one of those extra large chocolate chip cookies for dessert - sure!

(had to edit to add Sonic - which is 1.2 miles from my house *sigh*)

FB 02-19-2008 04:15 PM

Ha!
Hooters. I was crazy for their buffalo shrimp.
My local Indian restaurant.

shelby897 02-19-2008 04:22 PM

Whoever/whatever company decided it was okay to charge me extra because my shirt has an "x" on the end of its size!!!

SCraver 02-19-2008 04:33 PM

Lol! This is great!

1. Willington Pizza and Stafford House Pizza - when I do order - it's only a small to share with Hubby - not a large!!

2. Kraft - I have cut out almost all of the American cheese I was eating (two pices on my breakfast, two on my sammich for lunch... two more if I had a sammich for dinner, etc.)

3. The TA Travel Center Diner - Since I haven't been drinking in excess on the weekends - there has been no need for that extra 2 a.m. meal of breakfast foods.

4. Combos

Lyn2007 02-19-2008 04:36 PM

OMG.

Cheetos stock has seriously suffered with my dieting. I used to eat a whole bag a week, with hot dogs...

Hebrew National hot dog company is also wondering what happened. I used to eat 5 hot dogs at one SITTING and then finish off the pack later that evening (with Cheetos of course).

And what did I have to drink with my hot dogs and Cheetos? Coke!! 2 or 3 or even 4 cans a day. I have not bought a soft drink in quite some time...

McDonalds and Arbys, a close tie. Used to buy their meals as a "snack" plus got it for dinner for the family once a week. Yikes! The drive thru lady is wondering, "hey, what happened to that fat lady who came thorugh here every day pretending she was talking to someone in the back seat so it wouldn't look like she was ordering all that food for herself?"

And pint ince cream makers. There is something cute and petite about buying a teeny little pint of deluxe double dark chocolate ice cream. It's so SMALL, right? I can sit and eat the whole thing because it is a serving, right? I think Ben n Jerrys and Haagen Daz are wondering where I am....

kimmieone 02-19-2008 05:10 PM

Anybody that uses trans-fats.

blueyedlvrgirl 02-19-2008 05:24 PM

Lyn--
FYI...Hebrew National makes 97% fat free hot dogs that are only like 45 calories each. I often use them with 99% fat free chili, whole wheat buns and 2% cheese to make KILLER chili dogs that are actually a decent meal. If you ever want a hot dog, these are pretty much guilt-free.

aerotigergirl 02-19-2008 05:25 PM

Great idea for a thread!

1.) Barilla---I love your pasta. I know you miss the days when I would eat pasta 3-4 nights/week.

2.) McDonalds---Our secret little late night rendezvous are no longer an option for me. Regardless of how much it hurts your bottom line.

3.) Lane Bryant---Who will you get to buy your librarian-esque over-priced fashions now?

4.) Bristol-Myers-Squibb---I no longer have to hand over ridiculous amounts of my hard-earned money to pay for anti-depressants that make me fatter to cure the depression that I suffer over being fat!

Cate426 02-19-2008 05:29 PM

OMG. This is such a great thread lol. Let's see...

1.) Good ol' Mickey D's. I used to go about once a week... they haven't seen me pull up to the window for a while.

2.) Edy's. They are wondering why the sale of "Dibs" has suddenly gone through the floor...

3.) The dollar store. Yes, I used to buy candy there (Like ten pieces) because they would sell them 2/$1. Not anymore, thank you very much.

4.) My local grocery store. I used to spend $30 in just junk food when i went there once a week!! They haven't seen me in a while either... I'm sure they are wondering why pop tarts suddenly stopped selling...

Purplefirefly 02-19-2008 05:30 PM

1. Taco Bell! I went there at least once a week for the burrito supreme combo with Dr. Pepper, 2 extra hard tacos, and a nachos bel grande :yawn: I think close to 2000 calories once I looked it up, and then all i was good for the rest of the day was sleepwalking.

2. Golden Coral, the kid's fav restaraunt and we stuffed ourselves there about every weekend. Now they never ask for it anymore, they are eating salads with me at home :D

3. Little Debbies and store brand gummy worms...I still stare at these and I can't walk down that aisle anymore.

4. Any bakery anywhere that has cakes, cheesecake, danish and donuts.

Dang...no wonder I was FAT!

fiberlover 02-19-2008 05:54 PM

Lane Bryant and Fashion Bug Plus - I don't even look in their windows anymore.

Chickens - although it's more that they get to keep their wings now LOL! I haven't had a chicken wing in probably 8 months now, and could eat a dozen in a sitting (complete with bleu cheese)

General Mills - no more of their sugary cereals for me.

2beautiful2Bfat 02-19-2008 05:58 PM

Every bakery in town.

All major chocolate manufacturers

Twizzlers ( I had a bad pack a day habit!!)

All makers of jujubes!!

LittleMoonRabbit 02-19-2008 06:03 PM

:) This is a good thread...

1. Freihoffers- LOVED their little chocolate cookies

2. The makers of sunchips- they aren't THAT bad as far as chips go- only I never had restraint to stop at a single serving... I usually ate a 1/3 of the bag in one sitting

3. Chinese food places- My all time favorite junk food. Forget Mickey D's- chinese was my weakness. General Tao's chicken and eggrolls were my favorites. Now I have found low fat, low cal microwavable egg rolls that are the perfect side to my slimfast shake in the afternoon- and that's all the chinese I need.

4. Gorton's (well, kinda)- They make two killers: potato crunch and beer battered fish fillets. Oh man, I loved those! however, I have traded them in for the grilled lemon and grilled garlic fillets- only like 120 calories, flaky, and filling.

Noelani 02-19-2008 06:16 PM

Taco bell - I would have it 2-3 times per week for lunch. I haven't had it now for over 6 months. Yea for me!

Mars candy - You name the candy, I'd overeat it. LOL

Doritos - Cool Ranch you are my enemy.

Mama Rosa's Frozen Pizzas - Nuff said.

Sonic - Chili Cheese Tater Tots are evil.

Starbucks - Caramel Macchiato's so good but oh so bad.

The list could go on forever but I'd say that's a pretty good snapshot. Hehe.

RealCdn 02-19-2008 06:24 PM

Although some of these were given up before the others, they all still apply:

1. McDonalds and Wendys - for the double drive-through sandwiches (no fries, no drinks)

2. Tim Hortons - for the late night cookies on the way home from my shift that ended at midnight

3. The local bulk food store - because if you buy macadamia nuts and chocolate coating discs, then only the sour gums are really the junk food

4. The local grocery store - which I stocked up on Friday nights for the weekend's junk fest (not always, but usually B&J and Pringles). Some of the stuff there was only borderline bad, but eating to excess was the problem.

See Spot Shrink 02-19-2008 06:26 PM

My local pizza parlor! They actually sent me a postcard with the message, "We Miss You!" and an offer for a free pie. :jeno:

Uh, yeah, that's just a little embarrassing! :o :lol:

mandalinn82 02-19-2008 06:30 PM

1. Wendys. It was what I ate by default...at least twice a week, every week, for dinner...the same thing every time (Double cheeseburger w/ lettuce and pickle only, biggie fries...ugh). The thought of that meal literally makes me nauseous now.

2. Starbucks - I've replaced my caramel frappucino with a much cheaper and healthier Americano.

3. Taco Bell - I don't even want to talk about what my regular order was. Ick.

4. The bakery at my local supermarket...loaves of french bread, cupcakes and cookies and pastries...oh my!

nelie 02-19-2008 06:31 PM

Actually I love my local pizza parlor and try to visit there often. I think they are almost perfect, if they offered whole wheat crust, they would be perfect. The other night I made pizza myself though.

ClearBlueWater 02-19-2008 06:35 PM

Fastfood restaurants like McDonalds, Subway, Quiznos and Taco Bell. Choosing the worst options from each. I was spending about $40 a week there which is about...$160 a month! Wow. That along with eating whatever was at home.

Now I'm saving all the money and treating myself to a nice little vacation in December as a reward. :D

Jennifer 3FC 02-19-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by See Spot Shrink (Post 2062967)
My local pizza parlor! They actually sent me a postcard with the message, "We Miss You!" and an offer for a free pie. :jeno:

Uh, yeah, that's just a little embarrassing! :o :lol:

:lol3:

For me:

Starbucks. Mmmmmm Mocha
Panera Bread. Mmmmmmm Mocha
The candy machine guy.
The asian restaurant down the road. (Isn't Japanese food the worst for calories!)

Lyn2007 02-19-2008 06:47 PM

oh man, and don't forget the Schwann's guy. I used to buy boxes of chocolate covered ice cream bars... one box for ME, and one box for my 5 kids and DH to share!!! (I think the Schwanns guy misses me).

BillBlueEyes 02-19-2008 06:54 PM

Kfc

KFC - My autobiography will be titled, From KFC to 3FC in 80 Pounds.

Haagen Dazs - Vanilla Swiss Almond in the single serving size, LOL.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - Brand varied.

nelie 02-19-2008 06:55 PM

Although I never cared for fast food restaurants, I have to say I was always in love with Taco Bell's bean burrito. I didn't eat it very often but once in a while I'd get that craving.

Also, I was in love with my local deli for a while. They make the best bread and sandwiches (and desserts). When DH and I moved into our townhome, we went there often while we were moving and the weeks following. You can't really beat a good new york style deli.

I'd also say I'm putting the makers of motrin out of business. There used to be a while that I popped motrin like candy.

Also, Coke and Pepsi are probably struggling because I lived on diet sodas since like the age of 10.

mandalinn82 02-19-2008 06:58 PM

The makers of Pepcid. All that fatty food made my stomach all acid-y, then I had to medicate...

Also, the makers of Aleve, which I took to control the pain in my joints from all the extra weight.

GirlyGirlSebas 02-19-2008 07:13 PM

Hershey's - I'd eat a whole bag of kisses at least 3 times a week.
Sugar manufacturers - used at least 3-4 tablespoons (yeah, you read that correctly) in my 4-5 cups of coffee each morning. Breakfast of champions, right? Not to mention the other tons of sugar I consumed each and every day.
Krispy Kreme doughnuts - I don't care how sugar-detoxed I am these days, I swear I could devour 3-4 of these in two minutes flat!
Papa Johns - I still miss that garlic dipping sauce.
Mylanta - My bottle a week habit is gone. One bottle last me approximately three months now.

Tonia 02-19-2008 07:13 PM

Seespotshrink - That is too funny!

Hmmm..who am I putting out of business?

Frito Lay...loved those chips!

Snickers, licorice, Jujufruits, licorice, skor bar, heath....I think you get the picture (who makes that stuff?!)

Starbucks...actually, I still go to SB and I plan for it weekly! it is a treat but it is getting harder to drink 200 calories so I may have to give it up. :(

Any Italian restuarant within a 10 mile radius of my house.

Sigh...any Mexian restaurant within a 20 mile radius of my house OR work...Sigh (I sigh not because I miss the food, but because I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MUCH MONEY I HAVE SPENT ON THIS CRAP - FOR YEARS!)

Beverlyjoy 02-19-2008 07:28 PM

Well..for me...

Hershey's Dark Chocolate and any other dark chocolate makers are missing me.

- Wendy's - I loved their Frosty's mixed with candy (I don't know if they still do it)

- Iacono's Pizza

- Hagen Daaz vanilla ice cream bar - covered in chocolate and almonds

- Diet caffeine free Pepsi wonders why the stock went down.

Funny....now the farmers LOVE me!

Janis427 02-19-2008 07:37 PM

Starbucks - loved those Frapps!
Yogurt companies- I used to eat the big containers in one sitting
Local bakery- I had no control over the white creame filled donuts
Schwans- Loved thier mint chip ice cream
Planters nuts- one can was never enough
coffee creamers- 1 seving was 2 Tbls, my serving was 1/2 cup

Lyn2007 02-19-2008 07:50 PM

Ya know, it's funny how quick we can STOP a certain food given the right circumstances...

I used to get Taco Bell almost every day! Chalupas galore. Two or three of them, and a supreme nachos and 2 hard tacos with a giant cherry pepsi.

One day I was sitting in my car, shoving my chalupa into my mouth when something went.... "crunch." A really screechy, icky sounding crunch. Not a sound chalupas usually make. Then the taste hit.... it tasted literally like something dead and rotting smells. I nearly hurled the contents into the paper and then the smell hit me... dead animal smell... and there was a big chunk of something very dark brown and unusual looking. OMG, I seriously got out of the car and was SPITTING and CHEWING the nachos and spitting them in the parking lot trying to get the dead animal taste out of my mouth... rinsing with coke, gagging.... you get the picture.

I have NEVER, EVER even CONSIDERED going to a Taco Bell again. I would rather STARVE.

nelie 02-19-2008 08:34 PM

Lyn,

We had a taco bell on campus at my college. I had a friend who loved taco bell (he was a skinny little guy too). He got food poisoning. The next day out of the hospital, he went back to taco bell.

kasmin 02-19-2008 09:36 PM

Great thread!
For me, I would say the suffering businesses are:

coca-cola--I lived on this until I figured out that caffeine was one of my triggers:^:
pizza-hut/dominos/papa john's--if it had tons of cheese, I was ordering it in family size:?:
nacho chip and salsa manufacturers--for some reason, I can just eat TONS of chips and salsa without feeling in the least bit full. Alas, I have done so many a time. Those companies are certainly feeling a big crunch in thier sales (no pun intended:p)

Thank god I'm no longer in that frame of mind/health!

bluex 02-19-2008 09:52 PM

Lane Bryant - I actually liked their clothes, jeans in particular, so I kinda miss them. But not that much hee. I know they're missing me!

Little Debbie - Sounds so innocent but their cheap treats can do so much harm. Nutty Bars were my sin...

Jack in the Box - Not sure how many of you have those, but the sheer variety of food made it my favorite fast food place.. I am sure they miss me.. a lot!

rockinrobin 02-20-2008 06:06 AM

So, a trip down memory lane.........

-Wesson Oil - man I used to cook with a ton of the stuff
-Jason Bread crumbs
-Ronzoni Pasta
-My local Chinese Take - out BIG TIME, in fact they recently went out of business, I can't help but feel partially responsible - sorry guys, you DID have the very best Wonton Soup and Fried Rice. General Tso's chicken too. Oh gosh, those were the days
-Sbarros's
-Edy's
-Peanut M &M's and snicker
-Entemann's
-Pepperidge Farms
-Mylanta
-Ibuprofoen

tamaralynn 02-20-2008 08:25 AM

Taco Bell - oh god I'm a sucker for mexican foods... I make my own healthy versions now

McDonalds - I'm a chicken nugget and fry fan - I only eat their chicken and fries, never their beef - YUK

Frito-Lays/Doritos, I'm a chip fanatic. I also loved making baked nacho chips (with cheese, salsa and chips). I now use baked lays, salsa and low fat cheese... it's okay but still not the same.

Tim Hortons - I like their donuts, never been a huge fan of Krispy Kreme... but I don't mind their plain glazed.

Chinese food restraunts - I'm going Korean & Japanese - healthier ways of cooking (or not cooking) their foods.

Red Lobster - I'm a HUGE seafood fan. I now make healthier alternatives at home.