Old 11-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #1  

Angry Dumping denial

Hi, my name is Kathleen and I am in denial.

I swear, I could have introduced myself that way for the better part of my life. I am 42 years old and up until this past June or so, I really thought there was a good chance that if I ate right, exercised, drank water and moisturized, that when I lost all this weight, I would have nice skin. I am still over 300 pounds and have been there for many years now. I refused to look at the truth of the matter. But you know what? I am finally getting it. I am finally getting use to the idea of having loose skin when I am done. Around June I was on the WW boards, and it just finally started to sink in. I have also read some of the posts on loose skin here and they are so great! I think if I had held onto that notion, I would have freaked out long before I ever hit goal and would have quit and gained back a whole lot more weight that I had lost.

Another thing I'm in denial about: How fast I can gain weight when not working on weight loss. I just spent the last couple of weeks eating like a crazed woman and gained weight faster than I ever thought possible. I am back on track for the most part and it's coming off in the form of water weight. But how many times do I have to do that to finally get it?

Anyway, I just wanted to post these things and say that I am working on dumping denial. It has no place in my life, and I know I will never reach goal as long as I cling to these false hopes.
KathleenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:23 AM   #2  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Good for you! Denial kept most of us in the dark for a long time. Learning to deal with problems (perceived or real) will help you succeed on this journey. Most of us will have some loose skin after all is said and done. That's what comes of being 100+ lbs overweight. But, in this day and age we do have remedies. Expensive remedies, sure, but if it bothers you that much when you get there then it's available! I'd be willing to bet, though, that as you get closer to goal you'll be thrilled with how you look and not so worried about skin.

Keep on keepin' on, you're doing a great job!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh I agree, if we're ever going to get anywhere in this game of weight loss we must be brutally honest - no room whatsoever for denial. What would be the point? Denial gets us absolutely NO WHERE.

Don't let the thought of possible loose skin deter you. You get down to that healthy weight and worry about the skin later, if at all. Living a life with some loose skin is nothing like living being morbidly obese. They can not be compared. I'm glad you've looked around the Body Images Forum. There's some great stuff on there.

Congrats on the great realization. Keep at it. You're going to do just great, I know it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I'm scared of what condition my skin is going to be in once I lose that much weight....but you're absolutely right. I need to accept that there's a good chance I'll have loose skin, especially since I've never exactly been small my entire life.

-sigh- I wish I'd kept the body I used to have, or at the very least, not let it go so much.
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #5  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Lose skin does make me cringe, slightly. However, having skin puffed out like an over-blown balloon isn't much fun either. Right now no amount of clothing can hide that I'm a big woman, but with lose skin I can wear a body shaper under my clothes and look fantastic. Throw in the health benefits of being thin and fit, I say give me the lose skin.
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #6  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Hmm let's see.....loose skin or longer life?

No brainer decision, if you ask me.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I really haven't seen anyone on these boards that would say they rather have been at their highest weight than have the loose skin they have after losing weight. Some people have less loose skin than others just from better genetics. i have loose skin and I can't tell you how much I rather take the loose skin than weigh what I did before.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I have some loose skin and I'll never be able to show my stomach unclothed. That's a pretty good trade for all the great things I have in my life now, though. No one can look at me in my clothes and see that I have loose skin. Someone guessed the other day that I weigh 110 pounds! I'll take that, with my hidden loose skin, instead of looking and feeling the way I used to! Also, as someone else said, it's worth it just to be healthier! I was honestly afraid that I was going to die before I turned 40 with all that fat around my heart and the likelihood of developing diabetes. Now I'm healthy and fit and planning my 11-mile run for today. Loose skin doesn't really even enter into the equation.

I hear you on the denial about how quickly you can gain weight. I've done that too -- gone off plan for a few days and gained a HUGE amount of weight in a short time. I suppose it's good, though, because it shocks me back into the right way of thinking and I get right back on plan!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #9  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Congrats on taking charge of your life!!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #10  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

People tell me all the time, "Oh, you're still young, after you lose all the weight your skin will just go back to normal." Yeah, well, ok, thanks for the gesture, but I'm not buying into that crap. If that's what happens, great, but if not, then I refuse to set myself up for failure in believe that it's just going to go away overnight.

I would much rather have loose skin than be living like I was before, and still am to a lesser degree. If all else fails, I'll just have a plastic surgeon fix it and go on.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote