Old 09-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'7"

Default A "Scaley" Question

Hi!
I have a question regarding scales....
I usually weigh in at my health coach's clinic once a week. I did this morning, and it showed exactly the same weight as last week. That is fine, but I noticed that I can wear clothes this week that I couldn't last week!!
An hour or so later I went to the Blood Bank to give blood. In their restroom they had a scale.......
You know it...I had to check again (I wonder if they found a strain of OCD in my blood...)It showed 6 lbs lighter than the scale at the clinic!!! I asked them if their scale was right, and they said yes. Of course...again I checked and it showed the same thing!!!
Did I lose 6 lbs or not??? Like I said, my clothes are looser, so I would think I had....
In the scheme of things, I know it really doesn't matter, but just wondered what some of you thought.....
Thanks!
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #2  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

My mom always says you need to pick one scale and go by that. Not all scales are made the same. Also, you fluctuate weight through out the day. That is why it'd unhealthy to weight multiple times a day because you'll drive your self crazy with 3-6 pounds weight gains and losses.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 PM   #3  

What scale did you first weight yourself on? What does it say now? That is how much weight you have lost. If you get a new scale, or start weighing in on a different one regularly, adjust your starting weight accordingly.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #4  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Sounds to me like you lost some fat and then gained an equal weight in MUSCLE!! Since it weighs more but also takes up less weight, you are seeing a smaller body but a static weight. It's still a good thing though! It just means that you are now buring calories faster than ever with your new LEANER mass!
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #5  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It's more likely just fluctuations in the things you are carrying combined with the difference in scales. For example, 2 cups of water weighs just over 1 pound. Blood weighs something too, so if you weighed after giving, that would cause some small change too. So restroom visits, drinking liquids, etc. all cause fluctuations throughout the day. Plus as others have already said, you are better off sticking with one scale's readings. That way, even if the scale is wrong, it's still going to show you net changes that should be accurate. Clothes fitting better is a better measure in my opinion! Various factors can cause the scale to react negatively, but you can trust your clothes (and tape measure).
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #6  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Ahhhhhh.........the dreaded scale!!! I have the same problem. There is a scale at my gym, at work, at the drug store and etc. I want to weigh on all of them, but it drives me crazy. So I just weigh on one. Now the thing is I dont trust the one I use, so i am always unsure if it lies to me or not!!!! Look at my signature!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #7  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Chances are you've lost inches, but your scale weight has stayed the same. Happens to all of us, which is why people advise you not to weigh yourself too often. Me, I still get on the scale every day, even though it's an exercise in frustration. But I also measure myself so I can see the difference in inches when the scale's not moving. You might want to start doing that to track *all* your progress.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

I weigh myself on 3 different scales in my home daily. I like to punish myself I think only one is accurate (the digital one), one weighs me 5lbs higher and one weighs me 5lbs lower! Scales are crazy and I don't care what they tell me!
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: see ticker

Thanks so much for the advice! I've done really well in only weighing myself at the clinic...but when the opportunity came for me to use another one....I went for it! It taught me a lesson. I'm just sticking to the one!
:-)
PeggyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM   #10  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

You may not have lost weight but I think that when you eat right and work out your body can change even if you dont lose weight.
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #11  
Believe

I'm disappointed! I saw the title and came here ready to give you all kinds of advice about scaly skin problems.

But since you don't need any home cures for dry skin, I'll just throw in my two cents and agree with others...pick ONE scale and use that scale as your official scale.

Last edited by melsfolly; 09-12-2007 at 09:43 PM.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote