Old 07-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default A Note to Newbies (and Oldbies, too!)

Just wanted to remind especially the new people to take a before photo. So many of us avoid cameras (I know I did!), but it's important to get at least one photo of yourself as you start your weight loss journey. If you've looked at people's before-and-after photos, you know what an inspiration they are, and one day you'll be there, too, and you'll want to inspire people with your own before-and-after.

What I did was have my DH take a digital photo (front view and side view) and store it on the computer in a file. After I'd lost 50 lbs, I think, I had him do another front and side view, then I finally looked at the before photo. Yes, it was shocking, but I was so glad that I had done it (and I recently entered a Weight Watchers contest and needed that before photo!).

Another tip is to take your measurements. Again, this is really, really hard, but it's such an important tool, especially if you plateau, but are losing inches. Knowing that you're losing inches can be very motivating.

I do hope this inspires you to take those photos and measurements before you get too far along on your weight loss journey.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #2  

I'm gonna take my before picture myself. Just standing in front of a mirror.

That way I can avoid posing for someone else.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

YES! It's the best feeling in the world to whip out your "before" photo and see the astonishment on people's faces! And even us "olbies" are inspired ourselves by new successes!!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Great advice Sheila. I actually had to purposely do this. There were so few photos of me throughout the years, we had to make a special point of doing this.

It pains me to see the photo. I look so very .... sad in it. But I am glad I have it. I never, ever want to forget just how far I've come. And just how easy it is to get to that weight. I want to remember that sad woman and all the pain she was in. Because I never want to "be" her again.

Okay, Sheila - so when do we get to see some before and afters of your very successful self? Hmmm? I think we'd all love to see them.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #5  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

My before pictures were, unfortunately, the ones taken of me at my brother's wedding on January 6th. They were the ones that woke me up to what I was doing to myself. So, my before pictures will be immortalized in family history forever. Great.

That's a good idea to take progress pictures. I'll do that when I get halfway. Less than 5 lbs to go... woohoo!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

I think its an awesome idea to take pictures of yourself. My DH took my picture when I started and seeing myself made me so mad that I was even more motivated to get ride of the tummy.

I plan on taking front and side pictures every 25 pounds. That way I have a slideshow type thing of my body shrinking.

I haven't done any measurements yet. What body parts do you guys measure? Do you do it yourself or have someone help you?
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 AM   #7  
trgeorg

S/C/G: 289/289/189

Height: 5'8

I saw my best friend for the first time in 7 years last night. She had bypass surgery and looks wonderful. It was so wonderful to see her, but it reminded me of how big I am now. She wants to take pictures of me and her new baby and I am so reluctant. I know that I need before pictures. I did video tape myself (boy that was eye opening). I guess that I should take the pictures. It will make me even more determined to lose this weight, so that I can replace those pictures. I almost hate to see us together in a picture. This will be the first one of us together, with her thin and me fat.
trgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I have way too many pictures of my fat self. My brother's wedding, vacations, Christmas morning. I have hated having my picture taken for ten years.

So you can imagine the looks I got from my husband and daughters when I brought home Old Navy flag shirts for a pic on the 4th of July. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm pretty happy with the way I look. What a nice state of mind!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Good advise Sheila, I had thought about posting the same suggestion. I happen to let someone take a picture of me alone while on vacation last January just before I joined WW. I'm really glad now that I did. It was a real boost to my moral when I put it next to one taken recently when I reached onderland.
I wish I had measurements from the begining. I joined Curves in August and they took them at that point.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #10  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

i always take the before shot and put it next to a current shot that really helps!
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I like that idea, Nessa. So here's mine, Robin, just 'cause you asked so nicely. These are the photos I turned in to Weight Watchers for a contest. They are (or maybe already have) choosing 100 people in each region to receive a prize, and then some national winners or something like that. Wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shebefore&after98lbs.jpg (57.3 KB, 39 views)
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Wow, Sheila! You look SUPER! I love the victory pose!!!!
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #13  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Great thread Sheila! I wish I had had the nerve to take a "before" photo when I started out, but I didn't. And thanks for posting your before & after photo's! I have always wondered what you looked like. You look great!!!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Wowzer!!!!! Incredible transformation. Just incredible. You look so fit and healthy and sooo much younger and happier. Amazing. Thanks for sharing - since I asked so nicely and all.

Oh and I don't know how they are choosing who gets the prizes or not - but you're a shoo in for sure. Let us know.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #15  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Wow Shelia I LOVE the after photo. You look great - so fit! It's also nice to put a face with a name.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote