Old 08-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/249/135

Default Sleepless....

Ok, so another question.
I feel like I've used up my limit almost ;-)
Hopefully I will be alowed one more...
It has been almost 3 weeks of exercising and changes in my eating.
But I've not been able to sleep at night.
Majority of my work-outs are intense 1.5-2h, about twice a week I do a double work out of 2-2.5h total for the day. I don't eat at least 2hrs before bed. I try to wake up between 6 and 6:30am for the moring workout BUT I stopped sleeping. I just lay there with closed eyes and in the morning I am exhausted.
Yesterday I decided to give my body some rest from exercise, and went to bed around 6:30 feeling tired and sleepy. Yet again laid there with closed eyes. Later had a sleeping pill, which did not work for 3 hours. I even went to check whether the one I took was a sleep-aid, not an energy boost to prevent one from falling asleep ;-) Around 1am I finally fell asleep.
Did anyone else experience anything like that? What is wrong with me?
CBETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Well I've got no clue cause I fall asleep if I blink too slowly, but I just wanted to say that all the questions are great. Somebody's always got a new perspective and we all learn something.

Are there other issues in your life around family or work that have your brain running overtime? I can't imagine that working out in the morning could have any negative effect on your ability to fall asleep at night.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:02 PM   #3  

I don't suppose there is anything on the surface that might be causing frustration or sleepness nights related to my work and/or family.
I think a sudden change for the body did occur when I switched from sedenterary life style with thousands of calories to 1200 calories with 1000 calories worth in exercise....But can that be effecting me so directly? anyone else is struggling with sleep?

p.s. I don't feel hungry before bed, I kicked that habit of eating before bed a couple of years ago.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #4  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 01:43 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #5  

No multivitami, though I should start taking one.
I do exercise in the morning 70% of the time.
I don't want to do the pills as well, and that's why I am concerned.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Well I've got no clue cause I fall asleep if I blink too slowly
Me too!

However, that doesn't stop me from having the getting up in the morning problem. I think partially lately it is the heat - that can really drain you.

Have you added anything into your diet that might have caffeine? Some pain medications have it if you are taking anything for exercsise soreness.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #7  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Have you added any more caffeine to your diet. A friend of mine a few months ago cut out all the pop she usually drank, switched to unsweetened iced tea. The pop she was drinking before was caffeine free and switching to the iced tea gave her a huge jolt of caffeine a few times a day making it impossible to sleep.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBETA View Post
Ok, so another question.
I feel like I've used up my limit almost ;-)
Hopefully I will be alowed one more...
There are absolutely NO limits. Ask away........

As for your question, I wish I had a better answer. Is this sleep pattern new to you, like since you started eating differently and exercising?

You mentioned that you went to bed at 6:30. Isn't that kind of early? Could it be that you just went into bed a tad too early and therefore couldn't fall asleep?

Are you eating sugary things?

Is your room dark enough? Temperature comfortable? Maybe a nice bath before bedtime? A little pampering. Get you in the right frame of mind.

As far as the exercise goes, IMO you've got a tough schedule there. One that would be very difficult to continue with. Is it possible to do less exercise per day, but more days per week? That might help you out a lot more.

I'm a very poor sleeper. I fall asleep easily enough, I just don't STAY asleep. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck to you figuring this one out.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #10  

Thank you so much for your guys comments and suggestions. I will implement some of them :-)

Here are some answers:
Caffeine: I did not have any before, and did not add any now. I stopped drinking tea before bed a long time ago, and still don't do it. I do have tomato juice from time to time with dinner which might be as early as 5:30 pm and as late as 8pm, but still at least 2 hours before bed, and sometimes 1.5 hours before the workout.
Exercise: I did come up with a tough routine, trying to fit as much as possible. And over the last 3 weeks
1st week: 4 days out of 7
2nd week(last week): every single day, 3 out of 7 days had 2 times
3rd week (this week): Mon, Tue, took a break on Wednesday and is going back today.
Weights: I've been spending about 50% of the time on weight training, and was recommended to let each set of muscells to rest 48 hr, so I will change my weights workout.
Papmering: I like the idea, and will try it tonight.
Additionally tonight I am going to LA, so that I can spend sometime by the ocean over the weekend and get some swimming in.
Room: My room is dark, and cool, with a nice pillow top bed.
Work: No stress there, instead last 2 weeks were more relaxful and therefore I had more time on my hands to post....may be that's the reason :-)
Old 08-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #11  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 355/see ticker/265

I have to watch my B vitaims cause they boost me up. So your change in diet may have added vitaims you didn't know about.
Outland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #13  
ShellieTerese

S/C/G: 274/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

CBETA, I don't know how old you are; could it be hormonal? Sleep problems were my first noticeable symptom of perimenopause, and continued through menopause. I can't take any of the OTC sleep aids -- melatonin wires me. I might as well crank up as take melatonin. So bedtime tylenol, etc. are right out, for me. Nyquil, however, puts me right out! When I started taking vitamins I had trouble sleeping for a week or two, but then I adapted and all was fine.
Bouncing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/250

Height: 5'5"

I am also experiencing sleep loss, I just thought it was the change in diet. I get sleepy early and then at regular bedtime I am wide awake until at least 2 am. I get up at 6am every day except Sat and Sun which is around 7am. I am starting a p/t job next week and need to get more sleep. I don't take vitamins, don't exercise except regular household duties, and don't eat sweets. I hope to walk to work some days and see if that helps, although it will be early afternoon and don't know if that is too early to help me sleep. Will this sleepless pattern get better with time, I am just starting my 4th week of diet changes.

AuntChuChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I can't offer a lot of help myself - just some sympathy. I've battled with poor sleep & insomnia since I was a teenager. It comes & goes & about the only time in my life I can remember sleeping really well (& falling asleep easily) was for about 6 months last year when I was on Remeron.

Be patient, although it is hard when you are over tired. Your body will adjust to the changes in time. Try not to put pressure on yourself to fall asleep (which I know can be impossible). Nap if you need to. When my insomnia is at it's worst I seem to be able to nap just fine - I think it is because there is no pressure/expectation that I MUST sleep.

Good luck - I know firsthand how frustrating insomnia can be. Remember, "this too shall pass."
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote