Old 07-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 304/280/150

Height: 5'5"

Default It's more than just weight loss

I wasn't sure if this fell into the NSV thread or not, so forgive me if I should have posted this there instead. I don't think it's a NSV...it's more like my personal epiphany.

I used to shlump around, not really caring what I looked like. I'd throw on whatever was clean and at least halfway matched. Toss my hair back into a ponytail, not bother with makeup, etc. My attitude was "who cares anyway?" Until I read it here, I hadn't ever heard that "like putting lipstick on a pig" comment, but that really describes how I felt towards myself, I just didn't have a term for it. But, with this new attitude shift of mine, I have realized it's much more than losing weight. Yes, that's my main focus, for both my health and my appearance. But, it's also about taking care of ME. I did pretty well yesterday, for my first official day. I didn't go overboard on food, water could have been better (still trying to adjust to all the potty breaks!) and I did the 2 mile WATP video. I also didn't mentally beat myself up when I looked at my journal at the end of the day and say things like "well, that was stupid, you shouldn't have eaten that popcorn." I looked at it, made a note of where I'd like to improve today and resolved to do it. Then, instead of just splashing my face...the "beauty routine" I had fallen into lately...I pulled out all my "goodies". I sell Avon, so I have a ton of products. I did the whole bit, the face wash, the eye cream, the lip cream, the toner, etc. (I figured I have them, might as well use them!) Today was a bad hair day (lol!) so up into a ponytail it went, but at least that was a last resort after fighting with it rather than a why bother. I also made it a point to go through my closet and put away all the clothes that are shapeless, ugly, and unflattering. I have some cuter things that currently fit, but I for some reason, after I bought them I hardly ever wore them. I guess it was another case of a why bother attitude. I'm wearing one of them today. I'm GOING to lose this weight and get myself to a healthier point, but until I get there, why shouldn't I love who I am while I am on that trip? This is a real change for me. In the past when I've thought about losing weight, my attitude has been don't bother doing x (wearing make-up, dressing nicer, whatever) until you are xx pounds lighter. I'm so happy about this whole realization that my attitude has shifted that I am crying. Happiness tears are a good thing. I just felt compelled to share.

Christy
ChristyDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #2  

Thank you for the beautiful post. You are so right! I have found myself in exactly that category. I didn't even own make-up anymore, and now I have purchased a few things, and try to wear some most days. I have refused to buy anything hideous just because it will cover my body and is cheap - completely different from how I used to shop. I never specifically went shopping for clothes, but if I saw something marked down really low for clearance, I might pick it up.

And you know what? I think it's all so closely related. I could never lose weight when I put everyone else's needs ahead of mine. I now insist on exercising and having proper foods available to me. The interesting thing is now I feel so much better and so much more energetic that I am able to do more for my kids than before. I've heard countless times that you can't take care of others unless you're taking care of yourself. It's about time I started believing it.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

Christy, your post is very touching. It took alot for you to reconize and admitt how you've been feeling. Attitude is everything. We all know what we need to be doing to lose weight, having the right attitude is what makes it successful. You sound like you are ready to do this. Best of luck to you. Keep putting on that pretty face and clothes.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #4  

Christy-
You are so right!! What a great post!
Thank you!!
Best of Luck to you - I am sure with this great outlook you won't need any!
KM
KiDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I think you're very right. You have to care enough about the person you are right now to make any permanent changes for the better. I also think weight loss is a mind thing. You get yourself in a good place mentally where you expect to succeed. You start eating the grilled chicken salad (for the 4th time this week) because you know it's the right thing and you want the right thing for yourself. You're satisfied with two bites of something because you don't deny yourself, but you don't gorge yourself, either. You start thinking ahead so you'll have a good plan because you are worth the effort. I overheard my husband tell someone who asked about our weight loss that we were just thinking better and living better. I think that's a good description of a lifestyle change.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

That's a wonderful epiphany!!!

It's not only one that will have you looking better now, but if you realize you ARE worth it, then I think that makes the weight loss journey a little easier. It's never easy, but I know when I had that epiphany I fought myself a lot less over not eating food I thought I wanted. I wasn't saying no to the brownie, but YES to me!

Keep your post in a place you can find it easily and pull it out whenever you need a boost!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #7  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

You made me teary too! What a lovely post. I wholeheartedly agree with what you've discovered. In fact, the three things I strive to do everyday are eat well, exercise, and do at least one nice thing for myself. I had totally gotten out the habit and had come to believe that I didn't deserve it anymore. Not true, I now understand!! We have an enormous capacity to influence our own moods for the better or for the worse. I'm still working on how to control this, but taking care of yourself is the first, and the easiest, step!! Thank for for posting this-- I'm so proud of you for the change in attitude!!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:47 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh Christy, I'm so happy for you. That really was a great post. I'm glad that you're feeling that way. You're gonna do just fine on this journey - I just know it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

That whole putting lipstick on a pig thing totally struck me. That is the first time I've heard that but wow is it ever my thinking towards myself. Kinda sad. I'm still struggling with putting this concept into action. Although I agree that putting on make-up, doing my hair, dressing well is something I deserve in practice I find it a lot harder to feel convinced I am worth it.

Thank you for reminding me that I am worth it.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote