Old 05-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #1  

Default why do I keep screwing up????

I am SO mad at myself. I was two pounds away from my Memorial Day goal. For the past two weeks, my eating has been TERRIBLE. I can blame a little on PMS, but certainly not all of it. I think I"ve gained back the eight pounds I've lost. I'm too chicken to get on the scale. I had started the Memorial Day Challenge and now there's no way I'm going to meet my goal to lose ten pounds.

I swear, there is something wrong with me-like I'm afraid to succeed or something. I keep losing the same five-eight lbs over and over again. Every time I get close to a double digit loss I slip up and keep sliding right downhill and crash! I don't know what is holding me back.

It's like there is this battle in my head-I know WHAT to eat (luckily I stick with exercise without a problem) but I"m rebelling like a spoiled brat for some reason.

Any insights, please? I'm going to be forty in two years, and I refuse to start another decade at this size!

Help!
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

FIRST OF ALL YOU ARE HERE. THAT COUNTS FOR ALOT. YOU ARE LOOKING FOR HELP.

I was once in your boat. Definitely my change has been more in my mind then body. I eat for my health and not for any other reason.
I used to set goal dates I always failed and felt like a failure.
I no longer set dates. I try to lose 10 lbs at a time when I reach that goal I go for another 10 lbs. It is not date specific. I'll get there. Some weeks I have no loss. I had no loss for more than a month one time. Then I lost 4 lbs. It will happen if you stay on your plan.
Don't beat yourself up if you go off plan. Go right on plan the next meal not the next day or next week. One meal or one mistake did not get me obese and I'm sure it did not get you overweight either. Be good to yourself. Coming here and asking is your first step of many to success.
Good luck you can do this. We are here for you.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I think you'll enjoy this poll. You are certainly not alone in having to take several stabs at this thing.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72763
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I will join you, I will lose weight, then start eating and gaining it back, loose it again and gain more back. I am working on not doing that again. I don't know if it is going to work,but I am doing my best. For me eating and emotions go hand in hand , once I learn to handle my emotions I will learn to handle my eating , hopefully.
I just know I don't want to be like this no more, and no matter how many mistakes happen , I will begin again until I get it right!!! cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't have any words of wisdom for you. I wish that I did. It took me 20 years to get to where I'm at now. So, I certainly know that it is not an easy thing to deal with.

It reallly is a decision one has to make. You MUST decide once and for all which is more important to you, some temporary fix of food, whether it's too high calorie or too high volume, or a healthier, trimmer and most likely happier YOU. Giving up all that food is really nothing, nothing in comparison to what you get back. The rewards far outweigh the sacrfices - I promise you that.

That being said, I think it's important to set yourself up for success by planning ahead. That means all of your meals and snacks should be laid out for you. It's much easier to stick to something that way.

Good luck. You are not alone. Don't ever give up the fight. One day it will "click" for you. You deserve to have the happiness that comes along with a thinner, fitter you. You really do.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #6  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Sherry, I have to agree with Robin about the planning ahead. Every snack, every meal. When I do that, I lose weight. When I don't, I gain. Simply stated fact. As you can see from my ticker, I haven't been planning, but for once I'm listening to my body and at least stopping when I'm full. That's a new one, but it only means I maintain.

That said, there really is no magic pill. I'm right there with you, though. Lose 5ish pounds, an "whoops!" there I go again right back up. I don't really know why, since as you knwo it's a rush to see the scale go down.

I wish I knew why I do that, why that "double digit" thing is so scary. But it is. However, we are stronger than that fear! We can knock it out!

The best thing you can do, is don't leave here and just start again with your next meal. This is nothing you don't know. Go for it!

Lynn
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Sherry, I think that part of it is setting too specific of a goal. I also made a Memorial Day goal and there is no way I will make it. It doesn't matter why, but I'm not going to make it. I don't think I deal well with added pressure and the constant thought of making a goal. I've decided to have goals without arbitrary time limits on them. My latest goal is to get into the 260's and that pretty much is the goal that I will probably go with each time, getting into a new "decade". I'd like to make it at Monday's weigh-in, but if I had written down a goal that it would be done by Monday, I wonder if I'd be freaking out a little. I know it is hard not to look at the overall amount of weight to lose, but try not to focus on that. I go for the little victories! It makes me happier and I feel a lot better about myself!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I suffer from the same problem. Once I start succeeding and I start to realize it, I start to sabotage myself. I think part of it is a feel of failure. Like if I fail NOW then later, I won't fail on a larger scale. Part of it is that if I can do it, then I have to continue and I'm scared of what that means.

I believe in you. I know you can do it. Now YOU need to believe in you. I think you should show yourself what you can do when faced with a challenge. For the next three days plan ahead and make it worth your while. You want to see those 2 pounds off.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Oh, Sherry, I can only agree with everyone here and give you a You WILL get there!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #10  
No description available.

Man, I can so relate. I can't even offer the wonderful advice you have been given, cause I am still in the same struggle as you are.

As long as you don't quit, there is hope. Some days, some weeks, some months will just be...ummm....less than what is hoped for. But get up and try again. I see over and over on these boards that for many people, it clicks. I know it will click for me someday. Maybe today! Yesterday was on plan and today is too. Make the next meal on plan. That's what you can do right now. And then the next. And then the next. Look ahead one meal, one day at a time.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 264/226/165

Height: 5'7"

Maybe this is just me, but the reason I go off plan is that I feel "skinny" for having lost some weight or being good for a period of time and believe that I can get away with some overindulgence. I'm still rewarding myself with food. Yes, it's much less than before and I recognize it now, but it's still there.
tancros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #12  

"celebrating a little too early" is what my friend calls it!
Stl Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/226/165

Height: 5'7"

ha! Exactly! In my case I'm no different than a person with a problem drinking or gambling. For me, a little success is dangerous because although most of the time it motivates me to keep going, it sometimes is all the proof I need that I have this weight thing licked and don't have to play by the rules anymore. I'm very thankful to be learning betters tools for dealing with food this time around, but I know it's a lifetime battle.
One of my counselors also said that many overweight people have low self-esteem and once they lose some weight they can think, "Well, I'm not where I want to be but this is good enough for me" - it's like settling for less than you know you deserve.
tancros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #14  

Hi,

I'm sorry I couldn't post sooner-we have dial up, and I couldn't get the site to load.

Thank you everyone so much for your responses-you're all so wonderful and supportive, as usual!

I started over again today. I'm staying off the scale until next Monday. I just can't stand to see whatever number comes up. I'm afraid it will send me into a bingeing spiral.

I'll keep posting and coming here.

Thanks and hugs!
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #15  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Height: 5'5"

Sherri - I agree with so many things people have said, and even though I've been successful in the month I've been eating well, it definitely hasn't "clicked" for me yet.... I'm trying the Dr. Phil "fake it till you can make it" philosophy! I agree that its totally in my head. And I'm not sure how to make the switch stay flipped in the proper direction.

But I will say this... 3FC has already helped me enormously!! Every time I did this previously, I always felt alone. Like nobody else had the food issues that I do. But now I know that there are tons of people who have overcome the same hurdles that I need to overcome. And to me - that means that success is possible!!!

I know I have much more weight to lose than you, but I'd be happy to "buddy up" if you think it would help.
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote