3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I Could Cry (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/112522-i-could-cry.html)

BethIsLosingIt 05-13-2007 01:28 PM

I Could Cry

I went to my SIL's baby shower yesterday and someone wanted a picture of the 2 of us and said oh how cute a picture of the 2 pregnant mommies. I didn't know what to say or do "umm I'm not pregnant I'm fat". I feel awful about it today!!1:(

phantastica 05-13-2007 01:39 PM

Oh! That really stinks. I assure you, whoever said that probably feels just as bad as you do. I think you responded perfectly. Sometimes it's difficult to say point-blank "I'm fat", but I feel it's an important part of losing weight.

How did the person respond?

I'm sorry that happened. :hug:

shrinkingchica 05-13-2007 01:45 PM

Oh :hug:.

Just keep in mind that people aren't always the best at thinking things through before they open their mouths. :foot:

rockinrobin 05-13-2007 02:04 PM

I am sooo sorry that happened to you. Probably won't make you feel any better, but it has happened to me, many years ago. Funny enough in a very similar situation. I was with my SIL and we banged into a friend of my MIL's and she said something like, "It's so nice that you're both expecting together." Of course my SIL actually WAS pregnant, me, yup - I was just fat. And it was a long time ago, but I believe that is essentially what I said to her.

Please don't let this woman make you feel awful. She's the one that should feel awful. I'm just not sure why anyone would say that to someone unless they were told by a reliable source that you are 100% infact pregnant. Or of course, they see a baby coming out of your body.

DesDiamondS 05-13-2007 02:15 PM

:hug:

I'm so sorry that happened to you. People tend to speak without thinking.

nicolen 05-13-2007 02:21 PM

I know it's probably no consolation, Beth, but she probably feels as bad as you do - if not worse.

I ran into someone I know slightly yesterday - we have a mutual friend - and a couple of weeks ago I'd been told she was pregnant. I asked how she was keeping and when she was due - you know, all the usual questions - and she told me she had miscarried. I felt as dreadful as that person probably did...

Sending lots of :hug:

squishy1 05-13-2007 02:22 PM

:( Poor thing! :hug: I'm sorry that happened to you! I've never understood why people will say things like that, or ask random people in public when they're due, etc., when they don't even know if the person is pregnant. They just assume. Grrr, I hate that. :mad:

I went to an old friend's baby shower this past Tuesday. While I was there I had someone take a picture of the 2 of us, and when I got home and uploaded them on the computer I was like, "Oh my gosh, you can't hardly tell which one of us is pregnant!" :dunno: But it got my exercising kicked into gear!!

suzie76 05-13-2007 02:56 PM

Beth,

I'm so sorry! Sending hugs to you!!!!

Sherry

melsfolly 05-13-2007 03:30 PM

I agree with the others - she probably feels as bad as you do for her goof. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there (and I can be one of them!) who has a problem with words coming out before the brain processes them.

royalsfan1 05-13-2007 04:32 PM

Oh, that stinks! Believe me, I know how you feel! It's happened to me, too. Don't let it get you too down, you can lose fat, she can't lose dumb!

lilybelle 05-13-2007 05:18 PM

I'm so sorry that you had your feelings hurt. That stinks. I've also had many people over the yrs. ask me "when's the baby due?" when I was not pregnant.

My DH has a distant cousin and he knew she was pregnant. We saw her at walmart and my DH said "the baby should be here anyday now, huh?" She said "No, he's 3 months old now". My DH felt horrible. He still brings it up sometimes and this has been over 5 yrs. ago. Sometimes people just plain don't think. Believe me, I'm sure the person that said that to you feels horrible about it and will Know better in the future.

blondeblueeyedbeauty 05-13-2007 05:44 PM

Hey Beth, I'm really sorry that happened to you. The others are right, the person that said that feels a lot worse than you. My mom actually said "When are you due?" To somone about 10 years ago. To this day, she still brings it up with regret, and vows never to say anything like that EVER again.

hellokitty81668 05-13-2007 06:36 PM

I don't think you are alone, not by far. I have had this experience alot over the years( I carry most of my weight in the stomach and hip area), I really do look like I am pregnant. The first time I met people they would ask if I was pregnant and I would say no. I have never said I am fat, but I agree it is a good step.
I am sorry this happened to you, and I am sorry you feel bad, but just think this is another reason to loose the weight, it would be nice not to be looked at as a pregnant women, rather a healthy, sexy women.
cheryl

LWM 05-13-2007 08:53 PM

Ugh! I'm sorry that happened to you. It was very brave of you to share that experience with us...now just soak in the positive comments and good vibes! :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

~Laura

PrettyGoodYear 05-13-2007 09:41 PM

I had someone ask me when the baby was due a few months ago... she thought I was wearing maternity clothes. I had actually thought I looked stylish and put together that day. Sorry, it does make you embaressed. But that was yesterday and all we can worry about is now. You know what??? I am pregnant in a sense-- I am giving birth to a new "Me". And what do pregnant women do? Eat HEALTHY and take care of themselves. Treat yourself as good as you would treat a baby inside of you. You are worth it!