What do you eat for breakfast..

You're on Page 3 of 4
Go to
  • I always have either oatmeal or cheerios. What is steel cut oats, and what's the difference from just the plain quick oatmeal?
  • Steel cut are processed not quite so finely. Instead of being tiny flakes they are more like "cereal"....only not crunchy. When cooked up they are a little heftier...more to chew....less mush. Taste is no different. I love them!
  • I alternate between Special K (the new chocolate delight one...yummy!) and egg beater with Laughing Cow lite cheese on whole grain english muffin. If I'm on the go, I take a Kashi TLC bar with me. I love the honey almond flax ones and usually keep a couple in my bag.

Monica
  • Usually eggs, just whites, special k, or coffee.
  • Okay, so we know where to find them and what they are--but what makes steel cut oats any better than regular oatmeal? It's all whole grains (even instant), and as long as you check your ingredients for junk, does it really make a difference?
  • Quote: Okay, so we know where to find them and what they are--but what makes steel cut oats any better than regular oatmeal? It's all whole grains (even instant), and as long as you check your ingredients for junk, does it really make a difference?
    Not that I'm aware...I think that nutritionally speaking they're the same thing! It's just a matter of what you like better.
  • I personally find steel cut oats more filling. Is it in my head? Possibly.
  • I have any of the following:

egg white omelette made with 2% American cheese - stuffed with whatever I might have on hand (mushrooms, spinach, brocolli, etc).
    Sometimes, I'll add some turkey bacon.

When I'm struggling to get in all of my points for a few days, I might start out with 2 eggs, over medium with two pieces of toast (with a few squirts of ICBINB).

A quick, easy breakfast is 1 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with one cup skim milk. And, I'll usually add a banana to that (though, I usually share the banana with my 8 month old).

A cold morning breakfast (and one that I also eat when I feel like my milk supply has taken a dip - usually around TOM) I'll eat oatmeal. I usually add some fruit to the oatmeal.
  • I usually have a vitamuffin (chocolate) or a light english muffin with a wedge of laughing cow cheese. I am not a big breakfast person. I can make it fine in the AM with little food. Come 3pm though...watch out.
  • I had to laugh. I think we all have the same stuff in our cupboards! My two cents...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Morningstar sausage on a whole wheat English muffin with a slice of 2% cheese melted nicely in the microwave. If I'm "get over yourself" healthy that day I add a slice of tomato.

Second fav: Kashi Go Lean Blueberry Waffles! Great Fiber, great taste.

Third fav: Kashi Go Lean crunch, however since I recently cracked a tooth, I have been avoiding anything that goes crunch.
  • Jillybean720....could ya forward me the amounts you use in your breakfast drink? That sounds really good, but I'm terrible at guessing the quanity of items.
  • Quote: Jillybean720....could ya forward me the amounts you use in your breakfast drink? That sounds really good, but I'm terrible at guessing the quanity of items.
    I use 1 small frozen banana (I peel them and break them in half and freeze in ziploc baggies), 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder (which is almost 1/4 cup), and about 1.5 cups skim milk (I don't measuer it--I make my smoothies in a Magic Bullet cup, so it only makes enough for 1 drink).
  • I have good luck with high protein in the morning.. my staple right now is Ryevita with cheese. I love the Laughing Cow light cheese. and I love veggies (sorry) so I pretty often have V8 (a small 6 oz serving) first thing.. and a huge glass of water..

I also love low fat cottege cheese or plain yogurt with frozen blueberries and a splash of one of my Divinci SF syrups and a few walnuts or chopped Mac nuts..

I then eat fruit an hour or so later.. right now it's Banana..

I make a wonderful (this is my treat) cappuccino with skim milk made into a froth and dusted with a shot of cocoa. twice a day.. usually with breakfast and around 3:30 or 4:00pm..

I eat every couple of hours..
  • I finally found steel cut oats at my health food store. Any suggestions on how to prepare? When I am OP I like fibre one, fruit, and smoothies when I have energy.
  • Luna Bar