Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default More Research on Vitamins...

There was a thread recently on vitamins. Here's an article from the Chicago Tribune that discusses yet another research study which suggest that vitamins might be harmful, even for people who are healthy.

The title discusses "antioxidants" but if you read the article, it's clear they are not talking about naturally occurring antioxidants in food, but vitamins only.

Here's the opening, link below:

"Adding to a growing scientific consensus, a large study released Tuesday concluded that vitamin E and other antioxidant supplements provide no health benefits and may even produce a small increase in the risk of death.

The report in the Journal of the American Medical Association immediately was criticized by vitamin-makers and some researchers, but its findings are similar to other studies suggesting that supplements are not as quick and easy a way to improve health as their promoters claim."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/featur...l=chi-news-hed

If I have time, I want to search for more information on this, as I'm interested in the researchers method.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:09 AM   #2  

If anyone's interested, I did some follow up reading on this research, and it seems that there is some controversy among statisticians about the kinds of research studies included in the analyses. Here's a link: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=64058

I guess like many, I'm wondering what this means for lil ole me. The sense I get from a lot of the literature is that it is best to try to get our nutrients from our food, when we can, but that it is hard to know exactly what we're getting from our food. On the other hand, vitamins attempt to provide us the daily requirements, but it's unclear how these more artificial antioxidants really work in our bodies ... they might be harmful, but the evidence on healthy individuals is less well known.

I guess I'm going to keep vitamins around for days I don't feel I eat well, but continue to try to get my nutrients from my food...
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I've discovered that thanks to the internet you can virtually find pros and cons for any subject you want to look at! You just have to decide what is best for you and go with that, IMO.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #4  
Almost the Big 50!

S/C/G: Goal of 150!

Height: 5'8"

I take them and will countine as i feel much better about not eating the recommended daily servings
CyberGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #5  

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to dissuade anyone from using vitamins -- I'm not! In fact, I think I get more "supplements" in my food than I realize.

But I am very interested in the ongoing research on this topic. It does motivate to try to eat more fruits, veggies and whole grains.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Quadcrew View Post
I've discovered that thanks to the internet you can virtually find pros and cons for any subject you want to look at! You just have to decide what is best for you and go with that, IMO.

You are SO right on that. It can get so confusing. I think we all want to do what's right. What's right depends on who you talk to.. or sometimes, sadly, who yells the most!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I heard about this yesterday.. very interesting.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #8  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I had heard about the vitamin E. We were told to take big quantities for our heart. Now, they say those big quantities are actually harmful. Same thing with taking a aspirin each day(I know, not a vitamin, but many of us use this as a supplement) Now, they say it doesnt help prevent heart attacks in women under 65 and may actually cause bleeding problems and ulcers. Most of us want to improve our health and be in the best shape of our lives, but the information available to us changes constantly. Even the "professionals" can't agree on anything.

So, I have made a decision that works for me. I am eating a wide varierty of wholesome colorful foods, low fat dairy, whole grains and lean meats. I quit smoking, use sunblock and get my yearly physical and lab work. I take a multi-vitamin daily, only have an occasional drink and I am trying to get an hour's worth of cardio exercise at least 4 times a week. I have added calcium, folate and B-vitamin complex on the advice of my doctor. I am doing all I can to improve my health. The rest is in God's hands.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The biggest problem is there are always those among us who assume that if a little is good, a boatload is better. I've known people (like a roommate in grad school) who you wouldn't think had room for the meal, after taking all of her supplements before each one.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #10  

Rhonda-- I know what you mean. I find myself seeking to do the things that, for now, the information seems to be consistent on. Eating fruits and veggies seems to be a consistent message, as does regular exercise.

Colleen-- I always try to think about trying things in moderation, I think you're right that this is not always the case with many people for many situations...
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Rhonda, be sure you're getting vitamin D with that calcium. It helps with absorption. Many calcium supplements have it added (usually 200 mg. Vit. D to 600 mg. of calcium), but if yours doesn't, you'll need to take some along with the calcium. I have osteopenia and my doctor is having me take 1800 mg. of calcium (in addition to what I'm getting in food) and 1000 mg of D.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've yet to start taking any vitamins. I probably should. I do eat very healthy foods with high nutritional value. I certainly don't get a lot of calcium though, milk is not one of my favorites. My doctor did recommend that I start taking a daily multi-vitamin. Not that I think she is the end all be all for advice. I just hate the thought of taking pills, I also hate the thought of not getting enough vitamins. I sound quite decisive here, don't I. Just to add to that, I was thinking about taking a multi-vitamin with iron every OTHER day. Talk about indecisive. Sheesh.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
Rhonda, be sure you're getting vitamin D with that calcium. It helps with absorption. Many calcium supplements have it added (usually 200 mg. Vit. D to 600 mg. of calcium), but if yours doesn't, you'll need to take some along with the calcium. I have osteopenia and my doctor is having me take 1800 mg. of calcium (in addition to what I'm getting in food) and 1000 mg of D.
Thanks for the reminder. I havent really been looking at the vitamin D, but I checked my calcium and it does have it. Does your doctor also have you taking magnesium? My doctor didnt recommend it, but I've heard that it should be taken, also.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote