Old 02-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #16  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I was definitely a fast food addict. I was literally at McDonald's or Wendy's just about every day (sometimes twice a day). And I would get more than just a normal meal--I'd get like 2 double cheeseburgers (or 2 jr. bacon cheeseburgers), a large fry, and a milkshake (or Frosty). Sometimes, I would just order 2-3 kids' meals so they would think I was bringing it to kids, not eating it myself. It even got really bad at one point where the McDonald's on my way home from work did not have a drive-thru, so I had to GO IN to get my fix (Lord knows why there was no drive-thru--it's a stand-alone McD's, not in a plaza or mall or anything, but anyway...). I would usually take in a piece of paper with me so I could pretend like the food Iwas ordering was for multiple people, like I was reading their orders off a list

Anyway, for me, there is not a chance in the world I could find myself at a McD's ordering a salad. It was MUCH easier for me to cut it off cold turkey than to try ordering healthier menu items--the temptation was just too great, and honestly, I go to a fast food restaurant with one thing in mind, and it sure ain't their salads

I actually changes the route I took to/from work to take the highway instead of the normal roads so I wouldn't pass those restaurants. The drive was actually longer miles-wise, but it saved me both calories and money, so it was worth it. If that's not an option, then stop carrying money. I've done this in the past, too. I would leave all cash and debit cards at home and only carried an unactivated credit card for emergencies. Just be sure you have enough gas in the car before you leave home with no money

Oh, and like harpo, I watched Supersize Me, and it definitely did NOT turn me off of fast food. I mean seriously, before watching that, i already KNEW the stuff was full of garbage and bad for me--watching some guy puke it up out his car window certainly didn't change my mind--the food still tasted the same to me!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #17  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes, I'm definitely in fast food recovery. I'm determined to stay away as well. If I HAVE to go (which I haven't so far but you never know) I'll try to make the right choice, but it's tough with all the bad stuff staring back at you.

My best advice is just to avoid fast food completely. Carry healthy snacks with you in case of emergency. I always keep a couple of Zone bars or something in the glove compartment.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #18  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

My name is Tammy and I am a recovering fast food addict. I ate fast food every weekday for lunch for 5+ years. Many times I had breakfast there also. For me it was a case of the more I ate it the more I wanted it. Different things work for different people, but for me the best thing to do was to quit cold turkey. From the day I started over 1 and 1/2 years ago, I could count on one hand how many hamburgers I have had. I haven't had an order of fries since then. Honest to God, I don't miss it a bit.

If I had tried to eat smaller amounts of that I feel sure that I would have failed. I know I would still be 340+ lbs if I had tried to have a smaller burger and a small order of fries instead of my supersized whopper and fries because the cravings would have eventually led me to start overeating again. If you try eating smaller amounts and still have cravings that won't go away, don't give up. Try going cold turkey instead. For me, after a few days of eating whole unproccessed foods, the cravings were gone.

Good luck!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #19  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Fast food was part of my lie to myself.

I have a very physical job. I'm an archaeologist, my job was to basically go and walk muddy, uneven corn or soybean fields all day. As I was munching down on a quarter pounder and considering the apple pie I would wonder why I was so fat. I mean, I literally walk about 6 hours a day at a good pace. But, I would eat fast food every lunch because, well, when the wind chill is about 0, the last thing you want is a salad.

It took me a bit to realize 1. I don't burn many calories while walking. I had to buy a HRM to figure this out.

2. How many calories I was stuffing into my face, five days in a row.

No. I can't go inside a fast food place anymore. I can't even look at them.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote