Old 01-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #1  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Default Any low GI dieters on here?

I very well may have missed a special place on 3FC for those doing the low GI diet, but if any of you know, please redirect me.

Just wondering if you recommend this diet, what you like/dislike about it, and any tips or words of advice.

I have hypothyroidism and I have read where this diet is the better choice for this condition. However, when I do research, there is SO much contradictory stuff. I knew that I could come here and get an honest assessment of this and tips/advice etc.

Also, do you know of a place where there is accurate info as well as recipes for this? Or any books you would recommend?

Thanks!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You could look at a couple places like south beach diet or sugar busters or also under general diet plans. I also eat fairly low GI but I don't follow a specific diet. I used to follow south beach but then I basically decided to do my own thing.

One good thing is it does help curb cravings. I make sure that I eat protein or fiber when I eat carby foods and I tend to stick with the complex carbs.

As for specific cookbooks, I don't really know other than South Beach Diet cookbooks which are fairly good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #3  
it's always something

Diets based on the glycemic index have always been controversial, and more so in recent years. The glycemic index of foods were determined in a lab setting, by having subjects fast for xx hours then feeding them single foods and testing their blood. Many dietitians complained about this, saying the GI of a food doesn't matter unless that's the only food you eat. Who sits and eats a plain bowl of pasta, or just plain sugar? Once you combine two foods, the GI changes. How many ingredients are in a recipe? Plus, how small you cut your food, how well you chew it, or how long you cook your pasta also changes the GI.

In 2005, the results of a major study were released that seemed to dispute the validity of the GI. The study was funded by the National Institutes of Health and was conducted at a university. They followed over 1,000 people over 5 years and found no connection between high GI foods and elevated blood sugar.

Apparently the GI of foods was determined in a lab setting after a fast and was very controlled, which did not mimic the real world. Once people are turned loose in their own kitchens, there are too many variables in place and the same results are not duplicated. They also determined that many of the chronic diseases that some people had tried to attribute to high GI foods, including diabetes and heart disease, were actually caused by obesity itself rather than the diet they consumed.

In another study, subjects followed either low or high GI diets for 12 weeks. Both groups were on reduced calorie diets. Both groups lost the same amount of weight. Both groups showed the same amount of improved insulin function, and it was concluded that the weight loss itself was responsible for the improvement, rather than the specific foods eaten.

On the other hand, foods that are lower GI are generally very healthy foods, with decent amounts of fiber and other nutrients. You can't go wrong by choosing them. Focusing on something like the GI encourages you to make more careful food selections, leaving out a lot of junk and empty calories. There are plenty of foods that are high GI which are still very nutritious, though, and should be included in our diets.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:50 AM   #4  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I don't know much about any specific GI diet either, but would like to recommend the whole foods lifestyle thread.

As I understand it, looking at the GI is like trying to stay away from those foods that, whether eaten alone or in combination would have dramatic affects on the blood sugar. As Suzanne said, it's unrealistic to think we eat the way that is tested in the lab. Common sense tells us that if we eat in a balanced way with foods that are as close to their natural state as possible, we get all the benefits intended by mother nature and welcomed by our bodies. Instead of eating just white flour products like pastries or regular pasta, have something with whole grains or even if you eat the "white stuff" combining those with fiber, protein and fat will even out the effects.

I eat a little bit of protein, fat, carb and fiber in every meal. It could be fruit with nuts or whole grain bread with natural peanut butter, veggies dipped in hummus, hard boiled egg with my salad, those sorts of things.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:19 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi RitzyFritz,

Hubby and I are following the Southbeach diet. I've tried several diets in the last couple of years and none of them worked very well for me. I lose very very slowly, but Southbeach is working! A lot of people think this is a low carb diet, but that is not correct. We are eating very good cuts of meat and a ton of fresh vegetables as well as healthy fats. I bought hubby two of the SB cookbooks for Christmas and we try a new recipe once or twice a week. With the exception of just two recipes, the food has been delicious! We have never eaten better and we are losing weight too.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #6  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Wow!! I soooo appreciate the response! I actually have never looked into South Beach (because I'm totaly against Atkins and I thought SB was basically the same thing). I have definitely had an eyeopener! I really think "healthy" eating, overall, is the best plan of action, but since I have a thyroid condition and saw the low-glycemic index foods were better, I wondered about it. I knew I could come here for honest and open discussion. I thank you ALL! This has been quite helpful!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote