YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 03-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #1  

Default Oprah's Boot Camp week 7 (3/36)

Welcome to week 7! Did everyone have a happy Easter? We're half way through our 12 weeks! Congratulations to everyone!

It's been kind of hard to keep track of weights with everyone weighing in at different times, and sometimes we don't weigh in for a week or two. So I think I'll post those with losses and we'll post a total loss at the end of the 12 weeks.

Last edited by MistySeptember; 03-28-2005 at 10:10 AM.
MistySeptember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:52 AM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

My Easter was okay, would have been better if I hadn't had a migraine practically the whole weekend. My husband's birthday was the 26th and I'm trying to make it a good one but had this freaking headache. I finally took some heavy duty meds which made me feel a bit loopy but it was okay otherwise. Tonight I am working but so far it has been okay. I had a headache earlier and felt super tired but I've been getting some coffee in me and took some Advil for migraines and I"m better now. Still I've got 6 1/2 hours to get through. Yikes! Hadn't even thought about it being weigh-in day tomorrow. Too much chocolate over the past few days and not even close to being on plan and I think I only went to the gym once last week!!! I can't remember if it was once or twice. It was not a good week with working nights, it has really thrown me off. Well I've got to get used to it sooner or later. This week will be better, right now I"m working tonight and Friday and Saturday nights, no shifts in between which is not good $$ wise but I should be better with my exercise. I'm hoping I get some shifts somewhere, we are trying to save up for a new house in the fall. I'm probably not going to weigh in tomorrow as I feel everything gets thrown off when I work nights, I'll weigh in on Tuesday morning instead. Take care everyone.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:41 AM   #3  

Good morning all! I totally blew off the plan a great deal of last week. PMS was hitting hard and now TOM and I feel crappy and blaoted and so I am notw eighing this am either. I totally own the number I knwo it's up but it's also being influenced outside my of my behavior. I got in a huge fight with DH on Friday. We made up but I was feeling a bit bent of shape still on Saturday, so I went and left the kids at my mom's (something I rarely do) got a new haircut, makeup, perfume, and new clothes and shoes for Easter. I spent several hours on my own just doing something for myself. I never do that! It felt good. I feel better. Luckily I had done soem extra sitting for my mom and had gotten some money for my birthday so I was able to do something like that.

My necklace with my charms arrived this past week, so I am wearing it as a constant reminder of my journey. I have also come up with a mantra, a twist on teh WW "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels", mine is "Nothing tastes as sweet as that. That meaning, several things, success, feeling good, being able too wear normal clothes. I wrote on it index cards and taped it inside my cupboards, on the fridge, in my office, in my bathroom on the mirror, on the treadmill.

I wanted to start walking in the mornings, just the dog and I, but I'm not sure yet how long this particular route will take me, so I have to time it before I can do it so I know if I have time to do it in the AM before my kids get here. Plus I need to see how dark it is next week after daylight savings time begins. B/c it will still seem like 4:30 am when it's technically 5:30, so not sure if it will work out. This kids don't arrive now until probably 6:45 or 6:50, but I think the walk will take about an hour, so I'd have to be back by 6:30 just to make sure I'm here so I'd have to leave at 5:30, it will probably still be too dark.

Jen- Good luck with you night shifts! I know what you menaabout too much chocolate!

OH well! We'll se ehow it goes. Hope everyone has a successful week 7!
~misty
Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #4  
RosieKate

Looking forward to Week 7...
Last week was Spring Break for us and I didn't exercise nearly enough, so I hope to get back on schedule this week.

I did ok with Easter - allowed myself some wine with dinner and a few pieces of candy...so today I am back on food plan as well!

Can't remember exactly what my starting weight was...it's written down somewhere, but think it was 186 or 187...now I'm down to 179 - probably 180 after yesterday

Here's to a successful week for everyone!
Old 03-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #5  

Katy-180 is great!! Congrats!

It's raining and dreary but I wanted to know how long it would take me to walk to the station and back, it took 35 minutes. And that was with one kid in the back pack and one kid in the stroller, they didn't mind the rain one bit. So I should be able to easily do it with just the dog before everyone wakes up. The dog is starting to look like me LOL he needs some walking and I need some time alone. It's nice and hilly so even though it won't take too awful long it's a pretty good workout. I feel so much better having done that! It will feel great if I can do it everyone morning!

Well enjoy the day all!
~misty
Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #6  
Angie

Hey Everyone. I am glad to hear about the walking Misty! I knwo i feel so much better after i do something like that- expecially outside! I took a 1.5 hour walk this past weekend- ventured down a new trail that was just beautiful in the woods an it was like 50 degrees out and te birs were singing.. oh.. i cant wait til it stays warm! I have been walking outside on my lunch break too with my friend. Its good to have someone to go with sometimes.
I am starting the rapid start plan again today. I did all my meal-planning and grocery shopping this weekend, and cooked a few of the meals already so i have "leftovers" to bring to work with me. I am re-reading key #1 and 2. Lots of self-talk happening.. i'm still trying to catch it all and deal with it.

tid bit for thought: I may be the biggest dork, but I really enjoy Richard Simmon's Sweatin to the Oldies tapes. I used to make fun of my mom for that, but it is actaully 30 minutes I do not loathe doing.

Have a GREAT week everyone!!! Today is a new day!!!
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:15 PM   #7  
Angie

Default Yes #2

I was just reading some other posts on 3fc.. and i came across one that I probably must say is one of the best and most inspiring ones I have ever read!
This is by Meg http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
If there’s anyone who can relate to what you’re saying, it’s probably me. I walked the same road myself back in 2001 and 2002 and experienced all the same feelings that you talk about in your post. You’re not kidding when you say that losing weight is hard work, but I want to tell you that it’s so so worth it. From where you are now, you have a vision of what your life’s going to be like at goal, right? A dream about how you’re going to look and how you’re going to feel?

OK, I want you to step into my skin for today and feel what it’s like to be me. You with me? You see, I used to think it was all about how I’d look when I got to 135 pounds. I never realized that the pay-off is how good I FEEL. So if you can walk around in my (sweaty gym) shoes for one day, I guarantee that nothing in this world will stop you from losing the rest of the weight.

Here we go!

It’s 4:30 AM and I wake up before the alarm, bursting with energy. I need a lot less sleep now than I did 122 pounds ago. I never dreamed that I could feel so good! The first thing that goes through my mind every day is — woo hoo! I did it! I’m not fat anymore! To me now, every morning is Christmas morning; every day is the best day of my life.

I jump out of bed, make coffee, and throw on my gym clothes. That’s a huge change from before, when I was allergic to exercise. I’m at the gym when it opens and do my cardio for the day, listening to music with a great beat. I notice how much faster and more intensely I can go now than when I was heavy and every day I try to do a little more than the day before. That endorphin rush is a great way to start the day — I’m always so jazzed when I walk out of the gym.

Back home to breakfast: oatmeal and chocolate protein powder. The way I eat now and the way I used to eat are like night and day. No more sugar highs and crashes, no more feeling bloated, no more hating myself and feeling controlled by food. I plan my meals for the day and enter them into Fitday.

Then the usual Mom stuff and household stuff. It’s so cool to fly up and down the stairs without having to stop and catch my breath or having my knees and feet hurt. I get my chores done in about half the time it used to take. I love the feeling of being strong just while doing the everyday tasks of life: taking out the trash, carrying the laundry upstairs, hefting the 20# box of kitty litter.

And then the highlight of my day: back to the gym for weights. The gym was the scariest, most alien place in the world for me when I was heavy and now it’s home. I love lifting weights and love the muscles and the look they give me. I used to be afraid to look in the mirrors at the gym (you know how the walls are lined with mirrors) - now I catch a glimpse of myself and marvel at the stranger who’s looking back at me. How could this be me? I spent all my life as the fat girl and now I have toned arms and little hips. I walk out of the gym on , knowing that I've pushed myself to my limits as I worked to build my best body. Lifting weights has taught me that I have strength and endurance and discipline that I never imagined and it carries over to all other aspects of my life. I know that I’m capable of anything that I set my mind to doing.

Let’s stop and do some clothes shopping on the way home, OK? I walk in and bypass the plus sizes and head for all the pretty clothes in the regular sizes. I don’t have to shop for camouflage anymore — no more big T-shirts to hide the butt or long sleeves to cover the jiggle. No more elastic waists or towels strategically covering up my bathing suit. I can look at crop tops and low-rise pants, beautiful (and sexy) lingerie, and tank tops. I see something that I want to try on and look for it in a 4 or a small(which can be hard to find). Now stand in my shoes with me in the dressing room and hold up a pair of jeans in size 4. They’ll never fit, right? They’re WAY too tiny — I used to look at small sizes and think that no one could have a butt small enough to fit in those. But they slide right up over my hips and fit perfectly (no sucking in the gut). The problem with clothes shopping when I was fat was that nothing looked good. The problem now is that too much looks good — hard on the old budget.

Back home, normal life. My dinner’s different from the rest of my family’s but it doesn’t bother me or them a bit. And then to bed, knowing that I physically feel better than I ever have in my life. But more than just how good I feel is the knowledge that I did it! It took me 47 years, but I finally got rid of the fat that weighed down every aspect of my life. There’s no better feeling in the world.

Losing weight — and more importantly — keeping it off is hard work and it’s a job that we’ll have to do for the rest of our lives. It takes sweat, hard work, planning, and self-discipline. You know what to do; like you said, the elements are habit now. But trust me, the pay-off at the end of road is far, far better than you can imagine.

Keep going — you’ve come so far now. When you think about the alternative — going back to being fat and unhappy — really, what choice is there? I guarantee that when you reach your goal (and you will, I’m sure) you’ll agree with me that it was the hardest and, at the same time, the best thing that you ever did in your life.

Thought perhaps you may enjoy this as much as me.
thanks.
Angie
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #8  

Thanks Angie! and Thanks to Meg! You've shown us it can be done and how getting there is worth the hard work!!!
~Misty
Old 03-29-2005, 08:57 AM   #9  
Jen

Morning all. I'm up 2 lbs so basically I'm back to where I started before bootcamp. It isn't really that much of a surprise considering I haven't really been following any plan at all and just eating whatever I wanted. My gym time has been very inconsistant. Well this time I can't blame TOM but work is a big part of it. I worked Sunday night and had my son at home yesterday. I was so wiped out all day because I couldn't really sleep and I was so grumpy with my son yesterday. Poor kid, it isn't his fault. I was trying to get a grip but it is tough when he starts whining about something. I'm better today because I had a decent sleep but I won't feel like 100% really until tomorrow when I've had another night's sleep.

Anyway as far as the diet is concerned I need to get back on track. I know that if I'm going to lose weight I need to work a lot harder than this! I know that it works for me, that I will lose weight if I can keep away from the refined carbs. Eating is not really affected by work, I really can't use that as an excuse as much as I would like to.

Misty - I'm sorry that you've had a gain but I know you can get those lbs back off. I think taking some time for yourself was a really good thing. It sounds like you spend a lot of time with the kids and I'll bet it gets frustrating not to have some alone time. I hope the charm bracelet will help to keep your focus.

Okay everyone let's have an incredible week and see some losses for next Monday!
Old 03-29-2005, 08:08 PM   #10  

Hi all!

I did very well yesterday and today. We took a wlak tonight when DH got home. It was a short one but it counts

Well I ahev to run I want to go to bed early. Have a great night all!
~misty
Old 03-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #11  
Jen

Morning all. I am right po'd at my next door neighbours. We had an old screen door leaning up against the side of the house and today when I went to put my recycling bins back it was gone. I could see that it was in their backyard leaning up against their house. I don't know if they grabbed it and decided to use it as they need one for their back door or what happened. Anyway I went and grabbed it and put it in my yard behind the shed. It really, really ticks me off that they did this. I can't see that someone else would have done it for a prank or something. We haven't been very cordial with each other. My husband and I tend to be a bit standoffish because we just don't have the time to make a lot of friends. I say hi to people and that is about it, once in awhile I'll stand around for some small talk but really we're not home that much to be really neighbourly with others. My husband got all ticked with them a couple of months ago when he had words with the woman about parking out in front. Regardless where do they get off swiping something that clearly belongs to us??? Just waiting to see what happens when they get home. They may not even notice if it wasn't them to begin with or they'll just figure it out and let it go. We'll see.

Anyway I've had a good day so far, healthy breakfast and went to the gym, now just have to make myself something healthy for lunch. take care all, have a good day!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:22 PM   #12  

Jen- That is so weird! I mean if you steal something why leave it in plain sight? How RUDE! Hopefully it wasn't your neighbors who did it, otherwise who knows what else they might do. I hope you have a better afternoon, sounds like your food is going well. How is the night shift going?

I'm doing ratehr well this week. I've been walking and eating well. I'm down 3 pounds from Monday so far so can't complain.

have a great evening all!
~misty
Old 03-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #13  
Jen

Well so far I haven't heard boo from the neighbours. Of course I don't think they were home until later in the evening so maybe they didn't even notice it was gone if they had even swiped it in the first place.

I've had an okay past few days. Indulged in too much chocolate over the past couple of days but it is mostly cleared out now. I made my husband take a bunch of it to work because if it is around I will eat it. I've been to the gym these past 3 days so I'm very proud of that. Other than the chocolate the eating has been okay.

Misty - I've been off these past few days, I have an afternoon/evening shift today and Friday and Sat. are nights. So it'll probably be very tiring because my son will be home all day on Sat. when I should be trying to sleep. I'm hoping my husband will take him off my hands for a bit so I can get a few hours of shut eye. These are only orientation shifts so I might even blow off the Saturday shift if I"m too wiped. I know that sounds bad but I don't even really need the orientation and I told them to begin with that I would have a hard time working 2 shifts in a row especially on the weekends. The woman that is doing my orientation is a right pain for the scheduling, just not listening to my needs. For orientation they can it is any time, it doesn't have to be on the weekends but for some reason she's got this need to put me on the weekends when she knows I am going to have a tough time with sleeping. It's not like when I am really working for them after all the orientation is done that I"ll be working a lot of days in a row and probably only 1 shift in 3 weekends so I've no idea what that is supposed to be all about.

So have a good day everyone, keep your hands out of the cookie jar!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #14  
Jen

Morning all. I've got a massive sore throat today. It's been sore on and off for a few days but not this bad. I was hoping that it was just the beginning of a cold but more like it is strep throat which I had not too long ago. I have a dr's appt this afternoon to have it checked out. So I might not be working tonight like I thought I would be anyways because I sure as heck can't go to an oncology ward with strep throat. Feeling pretty blah too and lymph nodes in my neck are huge and tender so something is going on there. I'm just glad that my son isn't getting all these illnesses. I've been sick a lot this past winter with pneumonia, strep throat and pink eye (I looked like I could have been in Night of the Living Dead with a really scary nasty oozing red eye). Take care all, see you later.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:12 AM   #15  

Jen-Sheesh, I feel awful for you, it's been one thing after another. I really hope you will be feeling well again soon. maybe once the nice weatehr is here to stay for a bit you will beable to get away from it for awhile. It is good your son hasn't gotten any of it.

Well I am off to my friend's house for the weekend. The kids and I will be there at least one night. I'm planning on staying on plan and seeing if we can go shopping so I cna walk the mall or something to get a bit of a workout in.

Have a good one!
~misty