YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 04-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #1  

Default How to avoid being hungry in the evening?

Last night I noticed I was hungry by about an hour after dinner...I ate plenty..I was full so i was suprised I was so hungry. Maybe I goofed in what I ate? We had grilled chicken with green peppers and onions, sauteed mushrooms and brown rice. I had a half a glass of tea with dinner. One thing that might have happened was I let myself get pretty hungry before dinner because I didn't eat an afternoon snack.

Any ideas? Should I load up more on water at dinner or have a piece of fruit with it?

Debbie
DebB08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #2  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Maybe you answered your own question here. If you have an afternoon snack in your plan and you're hungry, you should eat it! Keep healthy stuff handy so you can control your appetite without reaching for something impulsive.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:50 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

If you're hungry, eat, but eat something healthy yogurt and an apple, a protein shake made with fruit... There's nothing wrong with eating after supper if it's all part of your daily calorie intake...

Also if you were FULL at dinner I would not recommend eating the fruit, but to keep it for later instead...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #4  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Try not to let yourself get too hungry. I feel it takes more calories to recover from hunger than if you eat a little planned snack and prevent hunger.

If you missed your afternoon snack, it should be fine to eat it after dinner when you get hungry again. You planned to eat those calories.

Last edited by WebRover; 04-08-2008 at 02:17 PM.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I started eating 5 smaller meals a day about 1 week ago w/ both protein and a carb and veggies of course. I have noticed I am not as hungry all the time as I used to be. I think it has really helped to make sure I have protein at EVERY meal!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #6  
inspired this time around

S/C/G: 161/149/130

Height: 5'3''

When I get hungry after dinner....I go upstairs with a cold glass of water....away from the kitchen!!!!! And that seems to help me!
whoIwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #7  
Excited!

S/C/G: 260/See Ticker!/150

Height: 5'2''

I read somewhere that if you think you're hungry, set a kitchen timer for 5 or 10 minutes, and after the time is up, you evaluate if you still want to eat or not. To combine with what whoIwannabe said, you could drink a cold glass of water away from the kitchen, then set a timer and see where you are when the time's up. Like others have said, never deprive yourself if you are truly hungry.
onic28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:17 AM   #8  

Distractions - watch a film, read a book or better still get out of the house - even better than that - go for a jog or a bike ride!
Pieinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote