Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 8/7 - 8/13

Starting the topic - be back in a little while.
Judy
Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #2  

Flower - congratulations on a great loss!

Rachel - I agree, the gain at weigh in wasn't really 2 whole pounds evidenced by the weigh in the next day. The important thing is that you've had a great start to the week. Yes, I do feel better when I have an OP week. Thank goodness the heat wave finally broke - that's not to say that we didn't get well into the 80's yesterday with the humidity increasing during the day, but that's a whole lot better than 95-100!

I had a 0.8 loss for the week - I'm happy aout it but I didn't get to my 10% (now 0.4 away from it). Sigh,sometimes I feel as if I'll never get there - then I stop myself and try to remember that that's self-defeating talk. I just have to keep doing what I'm doing - the alternative would mean just gaining it all back. We had the bar-b-que at my step-daughter's yesterday (it was her fiancee's birthday) and boy am I glad I decided to bring a platter of veggies with a low fat cheese spread. As I expected, the "munchies" there were chips and dip which I stayed away from. In addition to full fat (or over-full fat as in filled with cheese and bacon) hamburgers and full fat hotdogs, they also bar-b-qued flank steak which had been marinated. I opted for the flank steak and while I didn't have any pastries or b-day cake, I did have some wonderful Italian ices and fruit. I had one light beer - not bad. Of course, when I found the package for the little panini she had there with salsa. AFTER I already ate some, my mouth dropped open. 6 grams of fat in a serving! I counted them and when I got home, the "damage" was a reasonable 9 flex points used. Of course, having had a spat with Tony on the way home, I didn't leave it there. I had been doing well with the mini-Hershey's that I've been keeping with in the freezer, having one or two a day (1 point each) with a cup of coffee after dinner. Last night I had 8. I counted them though and still have 18 flex points for the week. Yeah, maybe I shouldn't have the chocolate in the house but it's worked well except for last night, and I've told myself that I can't have any today and then if I have more than 1 or 2 after that, I'll throw the bag out.

My biggest challenge left for the week is Friday evening. We're going to the wedding of the daughter of a friend of Tony's. I am NOT thrilled about going, having to have bought an outfit and shoes for it, and going to an affair at which I know nobody. I'm trying to psych myself up that it will be a chance for Tony and I to dance and that I'll make sure I don't go there hungry, have 1 drink only and then stick to water, eat reasonablly, etc. It's just that it's also the night before my last weigh in before we go on vacation (out east to the beach on Sunday) and I *really* want to get to my 10% next Saturday. I'm going to try to use as few flex points as possible until then, do whatever exercising I can (I pulled a hamstring muscle last Thursday and my walking has had to be seriously curtailed) and remember that there are other signs of progress besides the scale - smaller sized clothing, tucking my shirt in, etc. Sounds good, right? ;-)

Have a great Monday.
Judy

Carla, Karen, Tanya....how are you doing?? Come check in even if you've had some rough weeks! The more the merrier and the better we all do!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #3  

I had a bad week/weekend. I started off "okay" but was using some weekly points every day. On Saturday I was WAY over. I try to allow myself one really high day a week so I can have whatever I've been craving, but I went a lil TOO high I think. I wasn't real happy that day as my fiance and I had a big fight the night before, so I am sure it didnt help my willpower. I wasnt drinking my water almost at all, so I'm sure I'm retaining water like mad right now. I checked and the scale said I'm up 3 pounds. What I'm most upset about it not getting nearly ANY fruits and veggies in yesterday! Bad!

I've got a very stressful week especially the next two days. I didnt eat well today - no breakfast except a cup of coffe, but to be honest I didnt feel hungry. At around 11 I ate a piece of cheese. I'm having a Subway 6-inch veggie sub right now and I'm saving the baked chips for a snack in a couple hours. Tonight we are going out to a pizza buffett and I've already put in points for 2 pieces of cheese or veggie pizza, one breadstick, and a salad and I'm okay for the day. Tomorrow is another story.. pizza for lunch and I'm doing a training tomorrow that I can't seem to get fully prepared for!! I've got so much to do today/tonight!!

I'm trying to do what I can to "undo" the damage from this weekend, but I'm also trying to be realistic with myself. I might just maintain this week. I definitely need to get back on track by first getting my water back in. I'm horrible at retaining water and not only was I not drinking my water, I was eating some foods high in sodium. I really wanna get below 275 this week.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #4  

Gina - Sorry you had a bad weekend. I did too BUT the important thing is that you have planned for your day and your dinner tonight. Please take a second out of what you are doing and give yourself a great big pat on the back for that and try not to focus on the scale. Those pounds are certainly water. Try to focus on getting your water in because that will help to flush out all the sodium. Have you tried those packets like Crystal Light to Go that helps flavor the water? I know that WW (and lots of health/fitness plans) encourage you to eat breakfast. If you're really not hungry for breakfast, can you try to have a small piece of fruit or a small yogurt? Please try to focus on managing today and not so much on what your next weigh in will show. I know, I know, it's hard to do. I'm struggling with that myself right now but I do find that when I focus on today/tonight, I end up doing better.

Hang in there and good luck with your training tomorrow.
Judy
Old 08-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #5  

Carla - I hope you see this tomorrow

Happy Birthday Carla!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I weighed in this morning and the scale said 258, so I've lost another 3 pounds, but I must be still losing a lot of water weight. I'm trying not to get used to big losses because I know they'll taper off (as they should). When you're this overweight, I guess your body has to go through that adjustment phase when you stop eating everything in sight!

I didn't have the greatest week as far as my eating goes, because I didn't have enough fruits and vegetables and I had a REALLY big meal last week when I was out of town. I still didn't go over my Flex points, though, so I guess it was ok. As far as exercise goes, though, I got absolutely NONE.

My husband and I are going to see a movie later and I really would love to have some movie popcorn, but I can't even imagine what the points would be for that stuff! It's so bad for you!

Have a good week, everyone!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Sorry I haven't been around. I've had a bad case of PMS and I've been in such an ugly mood. I didn't want to spread it around. Fortunately I started my period yesterday - 6 days late - and am feeling much better. I have a feeling menopause is starting to rear it's ugly head. I haven't had a chance yet to read the posts from the last couple of weeks, so I'll have to go back and catch up.

Judy - Thanks for the birthday wishes! Congrats on your loss on Saturday. I know you feel frustrated inching to your 10%, but you've got the right idea. Just keep plugging along, because if you don't, where will that get you? Sorry you had a run-in with the chocolate. I admire your ability to keep it in the freezer. I'd eat it up staight from the freezer. Ouch on the pulled hamstring. I hope it's feeling better soon. I understand how you feel about going to the wedding. I hate getting all dressed up for an event I don't want to attend. I often find, though, that the parties I'm least looking forward to end up being the most fun.

Gina - Sorry you had a bad weekend, but good for you for planning for your pizza buffet. Try a little lemon juice in your water - it will help flush you out. And don't fret about the gain - it surely is water weight. Judy has some good advice for you. I second everything she said.

Lisa - Congrats on a great loss. Those larger losses early in the game certainly help motivate for the long haul. Good for you for not going over points despite the large meal. Movie popcorn is so good, but it is rather high in points. I think I read somewhere that it's 10 points for a small. But don't quote me on that.

Last week I gained .08, mostly because of the tons of water I was retaining. Of course, the bad PMS led to bad eating, so I don't know what this week's weigh-in will be like. I've had a pretty good day today and we're leaving in a bit to go to my mom's for dinner. Luckily it's really going to be a light supper, so I should do ok. I will, of course, have a nice slice of birthday cake. And now to get Ana out of the tub and pack up the kittens. They're going with us. Ana can't stand to be separated from them more than she has to and my mom gets a kick out of seeing them.

Have a great evening.

Carla
Old 08-09-2006, 08:26 PM   #8  

Lisa - Great job on not going over your flex points with your big meal! Congratulations on the great loss. The losses the first few weeks are great motivaters. Have you tried getting in just 10 minutes of some kind of activity? That's a good way to start an activity program.

Carla! It's great to hear from you - I missed you! Sorry about the PMS - hey, I'd rather you come here and vent than not hear from you. Never mind about the 0.8 - has to be water. Whatever this week's weigh in is, it's over and done with and now you start a new, great week, right? I hope you enjoyed your slice of cake. LOL about the kittens and Ana. I hope your mom enjoyed their company too. The hamstring is a quite a bit better but I still have some twinges so I've been concentrating on my PT stretches and strengthening exercises and just trying to get in some extra steps during the day. You know, I've been thinking about what you said about the wedding and decided to try to think of it as a nice night out for us.

I had a pretty good day yesterday. I had PT in the morning and went to my mom's pool in the afternoon. I walked just about 10 minutes because my hamstring felt a little twingy. I had a bit of a snacky evening but didn't use a lot of flex points. We had veggie pie for dinner this evening - nice and low point so I think I may even just stick to my target points tonight.

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #9  

Judy,

This is just kind of a temporary setback with exercising because when I went home for my grandfather's funeral I got off track. I was walking for 20-30 minutes a day and doing light weightlifting before I went out of town. I just have to get back to it!

Sounds like you're doing well, though. What is veggie pie?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #10  
Canadian, eh?

Hi all,

Sorry I've been MIA. Since living without my PC for weeks, I've kind of gotten used to not being online much. My job is keeping me very busy, with lots of evening marking and journal reviewing to do...so I'm tied up in the evening too. The contract ends Sept 8, so I'll be around a lot more then. I've been maintaining through the summer, maybe losing ever so slightly. I've been keeping active outside too, and the jeans aren't quite as snug most days!

Carla - Happy belated birthday! How cute taking the kittens with you...we have a new kitten coming next weekend...she's tiny, black and way too cute. Sorry about your little gain, but as you say, it's water.

Judy - I'm so happy to see that you're hanging in there on the downhill side of 150 - good for you!! I hope you make it okay through the wedding - I despise going to events where I hardly know anybody. Friday is our 6th anniversary...where have the years gone??? and exactly how many years have we been posting on this board anyway??? I know we were here long before I got married!

Hi to new folks!

Will try to be back sooner next time.

Karen
Old 08-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #11  
Back on Program!

Hello everyone!
Well this week I am down a pound to 181.4. I have been hanging in the low 180's since March!! It's my own fault since my self discipline seems to have gone out the window lateley. I am getting in lots of exercise but my eating is great one day and awful the next. When I go out to eat or if DH is having something I shouldn't, my willpower leaves me. I have also been anxious, DHs depression affects me too, and I have to learn how to make myself happy, not depend on his mood to define mine. I keep reminding myself of this, but it's so hard to feel happy when he is so sullen and moody. I try to give myself the pep talks, that I am a good woman and I could survive without him (part of me still thinks he doesn't want me anymore. Nothing he has done lately, just I take his depression personally and I know I shouldn't, but it's hard not to). So much of my time and energy goes into trying to make him happy, trying to keep him in a good mood. I am burning myself out worrying about him so much. I know that is not helping me in the dieting dept. I also need to make some changes in my career path, I need to get back in school. But I don't feel like my life at home is stable enough. On the other hand, an advanced degree would make me more independent and able to take care of myself and the girls better. I am being offered a few different positions at work, but I have to be working towards a degree in order to accept them. Then I feel like I can't do it right now with the girls in their activities and needing my help with homework and such. It's all so stressful!

Sorry to go off like that, I just get tired of having to baby a grown man. I know I should be more understanding of his depression, but I am angry at him for not going to the counselor and for not making an attempt to get help for it. I think it is selfish of him, because his attitude affects all of us in the house. I have suggested he go to counseling again, but he refuses. I am over it.
Okay, on a happy note, I am going to clean my house like a madwoman today, I have to work tomorrow but we are having friends over on Sunday.
I am looking forward to it even if DH is not.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Rachel
Old 08-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #12  

LisaMarie - glad to hear that it's only a temporary setback. The veggie pie is a recipe someone on the board posted ages ago and I just love it and keep coming back to it - although I prefer it with fresh veggies, it's still good with frozen veggies and is a quick, low-point meal. Here's the recipe:

VEGGIE PIE

2-3 c. fresh or frozen vegies
2 T chopped onions
1/2 jar pimentos, chopped
4 oz mushrooms
3 oz grated cheese

Mix above ingredients (except for cheese) and cook briefly in the microwave. Spoon
into 9" sprayed pie plate. Sprinkle the cheese over the veggies.

In a blender mix:
1 egg or 1/4 c. egg beaters
2 tsp. diet margarine, optional
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. milk
6 T flour
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper

Blend on high for 15 seconds. Pour over veggies and bake for 30 mins at 400 degrees.

Serves 2; 1/2 pie= 4.5 pts

I've even made it in the summer, in the toaster oven, when I don't want to turn on the big oven. Enjoy!

Karen - so good to hear from you!!!!!

Happy Anniversary!!!!

Yes, it's been quite a number of years. I would say we came to 3FC's from the WW board around 1999? Does that sound right? The jeans not being so tight is a fabulous accomplishment, especially how busy you've been. Am I right in remembering that Jen was coming for a visit or is this a senior moment for me? If so, I hope the visit was wonderful. Thanks for what you said about staying on the downside of 150. It helped me realize that even if I don't get to the darned 10% this week, I AM firmly below 150 and that's something I haven't been in a VERY long time.

I had a good PT session yesterday - some of it hurts but it's also good to be getting back to some strengthening moves. Yesterday I managed to do 3 sets of leg press at 100 pounds! My cardio has still been curtailed with the hamstring which pops up every now and then but at least I'm getting in some stretching and strengthening.

My eating yesterday was not exactly stellar. I counted everything and still have a few flex points left but after a spat with Tony (about wanting the measure the oil he uses in the yummy veggie mixes he makes) I find myself finishing the rice crackers I had gotten at Trader Joe's. Not awful snacking, just emotional, unnecessary snacking. My rings are very tight this morning and my sneak peek is exactly what it was last Friday which doesn't bode well for hitting my 10% tomorrow, before we go on vacation. Oh well, I'm going to eat very low point today, not go to this (ugh) wedding hungry (take some baby carrots and water in the car) and only eat small portions of things that I think I will truly enjoy - I also plan on skipping any cake (actually I'd like to leave beforehand!) My goal is also to have one glass of wine or one cocktail and then just have club soda afterwards.

I'm off to get a cut & color plus a manicure and pedicure (the upside for going to the wedding, although I'd probably get it done before vacation anyway).

Oh, before I forget - I got formal notification that I will be a permanent sub in Sept. Not a classroom, not a good salary, but a job and it counts towards NYS teaching hour requirements.

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 08-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #13  

Judy, thanks for the recipe! And congratulations on the permanent sub thing -- if you're looking for a full-time teaching job, I know that will go a long way toward getting you one. I moved from the corporate world into teaching and I had trouble landing a job because I never did my year of student teaching (and I certainly couldn't quit my job to do it because I had to pay bills). I did part-time teaching jobs on the side, and summer school, and finally I landed a job on a provisional license last year and my first year of teaching fulfilled that stupid requirement that had blocked me for so long! It was so frustrating because I had actually taught in a classroom for FAR more hours than the student teaching requirement asked for, but they wouldn't count it because I was teaching on my own instead of assisting a teacher. Sounds kind of backward to me, but what do I know?

Anyway, long story short -- good luck and congratulations -- permanent sub positions usually lead to good things!

I'm still having some trouble getting my focus back. I'm sticking to my point target (30) or going two or three points over, but I just can't stop snacking here and there. I'm never satisfied. I know all the tricks for making yourself feel satisfied, but none of them seem to be working! I keep thinking it's just the whole TOM thing.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #14  

Default Yipppeeeee!

Lisa -Thanks and wow, we have a lot in common! I moved from the corporate world into teaching too, transitioning by working as a teaching assistant while getting my masters. The problem is that there are too many elementary school teachers in the county in which I live (Nassau County on Long Island, NY). Just curious, in which state do you live? The pay (and environment) is better on Long Island than in NYC but I may end up teaching in the city (although in Queens, which is not too far a commute for me) if nothing probationary turns up next year. In the meantime, I love what I am doing. Sorry you are having a rough time. I know for me the whole PMS/TOM time is a tough one eating wise. When I'm in it, I crave sweet and salty snacks. The good thing is that after a few days, it does subside. I hope it subsides for you soon.

Well, I finally did it. I made my 10% goal I lost 1.4 this week and made it. It felt really, really good and I'm trying to figure out what kind of non-food reward to give myself. I'm especially pleased because I did it even having gone to the wedding last night. BTW Carla, it worked out like you said it did for you. We ended up having a really good time. The cocktail hour was a total bore - we didn't know anyone; still, with the 10% goal in mind, I looked at the food but there wasn't anything that looked special so I had a drink and then followed that with club soda. It turns out though, that even though we didn't know anyone, we had a really nice table. The band was great and Tony and I danced up a storm. I had the fish, ignored the bread and had 3 bites of cake. That plus another drink and lots of water and I ended the day (and week) with a few flex points to spare.

Today is laundry, getting things ready to pack for the beach and lots of stretching. All that dancing was great but my back is very achy today! I guess I did a little too much yesterday but darn, it was fun!

I'm now trying to figure out my next weight goal. I spoke to my leader today about the fact that I'm not sure what I want my end goal weight to be (since I haven't been around those numbers (130-135) in so long I can't remember! She suggested thinking about just the next 10 pounds which will get me closer and at that time it will be easier to decide on a number. I've been thinking about it though and I think 10 pounds is a bit too much of a chunk for me, so I'm going to shoot for being under 140 (on the "official" WW scale), which is 6.6 pounds from where I am today.

I will try to check in during the week if I can. The place at which we stay has one computer in the office and I can usually get a few minutes online. My goal for vacation is to maintain. There's tons of fresh fish to eat and while I can't do more than hit a couple of tennis balls (no running for them), I plan on walking on the beach and keeping up with my PT stretches and strenghtening moves.

If I don't get on tomorrow before we leave, have a great weekend!
Judy
Old 08-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #15  

Judy,

Congratulations on reaching your 10% goal! Wow! You're so close to your final goal -- that must feel incredible!

I'm from VA, by the way. I don't know how VA compares to other states as far as teaching requirements or salary or anything because I've never lived in another state, but I know the salary isn't much! My husband and I both took a fairly significant pay cut to move from the corporate world to teaching, but we're happier. Busier, certainly (during the school year), but happier. It cracks me up when people talk about how teachers have it so easy because of the summer off, without realizing that most of them spend far more time on their work in the evenings and weekends than anyone can imagine (plus, most teachers I know work in the summer, either teaching or doing something else). I never thought that stuff, though, because everyone in my family teaches, so I knew how hard good teachers work.

As for the eating, I did much better yesterday and the cravings had started to wane, but today...um...well....I had a nice, rich, expensive dinner at a French restaurant! I'm still within my Flex points for the week, though, because the portion sizes were so small! And when your husband offers to take you out of town for wine tasting and a French dinner, the concept of points kind of flies out the window! I'm kind of proud of myself, though, for at least estimating the points for what I had and tracking it in my journal.

I walked the last two days (yay!) but I have horrible blisters on my toes because I need new shoes so I may skip it tomorrow and buy some shoes! My little toe bled through the sock -- ouch.
Closed Thread