Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #1  
Canadian, eh?

Default Weigh In at Home 4/17 - 4/23

Hi all...

Hope everyone had a good long weekend.

Judy - good for you for weighing in even though you were expecting a small gain. That's great. And way to go on eating well at your mom's. And I hope you had a lovely time in AC...you deserve a nice break.

Rachel - I'm glad that all is well with the family again. Good for you for training for your 5k - even though you don't have a lot of time, every bit of training will help. And even if you end up walking the 5k, it's for a good cause, and it's good exercise, so it's a win-win situation.

Me, I'm up 1 lb this week. I think it's hormonal, because I've been feeling a bit fragile and teary at times for the last day or two for no apparent reason. I was very slightly over on points for the week, but considering it was Easter and I had numerous hot cross buns and a few mini eggs, I think I did fine. Anyway, I'm not feeling discouraged at all about the gain. We've been doing tons of work outside, so I've been getting in my exercise.

Have a good day...

Karen
Old 04-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #2  
SLOWLY MELTING AWAY!

S/C/G: 199/168.4/150

Height: 5'4.5"

Hello all! So I am finished school for this year! Almost; I have one more clinical rotation in the recovery room this Friday, so I will be able to dedicate my time to me me me! I will be on her more and focus on losing the weight I would like too. This past week I gained and gained and along came a stomach flu and helped me lose lose lose. Ha ha, only if it was a good loss a healthy loss. I lost about 10 pounds in one day from that flu! Yes it was very nasty...DB also lost 8 pounds from his flu. So yesterday I was done to 177.8 and this morning 180.4. so I am going with 180.4! I wish you all a great week and belated Happy Easter to all!
Old 04-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #3  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Hi Ladies

long time no write...haven't been very good lately. Ok, that's a lie. I've been horrible with my eating habits lately...absolutely horrible = 10 pounds GAINED!!!

I've finally accepted that the scale isn't going to settle anywhere close to where I was so I'm finally moving my ticker, wiping off the tears, getting my rear in gear, and getting back to where I was (and then some!)

Ugh!

Hope you all had a great Easter - me and my tastebuds sure did - lol

Goals this week:
Drink water, drink water, drink water!!!
Exercise, exercise, exercise (running and lifting)

We'll worry about tracking points next week...right now I'm doing some other stuff I haven't done in a while

Em
Old 04-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #4  

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't caught up for a while. As I've mentioned previously I'm having a bit of a rough time and I hate feeling like I'm being so down all the time when I post. I have PCOS and PMDD - not a good combination and my mood tends to be not as great during the colder months. I also have an appt with a Gynae in a couple of weeks to discuss a hysterectomy as I have internal and external endometriosis and the pain is making me miserable. I've been very slack with exercise and my eating has been appalling so I haven't stepped on the scale for the last couple of weeks. I will make a conscious effort once the boys are back at school Wednesday next week.

We rented a cottage on a farm for Easter with another family. It was a really lovely spot, very relaxing, and the owners were so generous with allowing us use of their farm motorbikes, giving the boys pony rides etc. Unfortunately it was AF time and I suffered miserably but the change of scenery was greatly appreciated.

Karen ~ Sorry to hear you've been feeling hormonal too. WTG on keeping your weight gain to a lb over Easter. I find Easter the worst time of year for keeping control of my sweet tooth. I'm sure it'll be off again next week.

Jenny ~ You must be so excited to almost be finished for the year. Enjoy.

Emily ~ Sorry to hear about the 10lb gain. I'm sure I'd be up there, if not more, when I finally get the courage to jump on. Good luck with your goals this week.

Hi Judy ~ I read your last post but can't remember what I was going to say.

Have a great week everyone. Hope to check in tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #5  
Canadian, eh?

Hi everyone!

Tanya and Emilly & anyone else feeling down, snivel and mope here all you want! This weekly thread is all about supporting each other through good times and bad...we can't be upbeat all the time - I know when I am feeling in a funk I tend to stay away and then end up with huge gains... The great thing is that there are always some of us in a good place who can help encourage you when you can't encourage yourself. Anyway, enough said about that.

Jenny - sorry to hear you've been sick...that's a lot of fluid to lose in one day. Enjoy your time in PAR...wasn't my favourite place as a student - I got barfed on.

Emily - we missed you here! I think you're wise to concentrate on rebuilding your good habits one week at a time. Here's to a fresh start for you

Tanya - I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling so rotten - I hope you'll be able to get your surgery scheduled; it should make a huge difference for you. Sounds as though the boys had a great time for Easter. I'm feeling fine again; but it's so strange...when I get hormonally emotional I have absolutely no insight into it until Mike points out to me what's going on, and then I can generally get a grip.

My offical weigh in gain was gone by yesterday...the food front is going well. I've been packing a lunch for the days I work, and have been able to graze through the day on nuts & raisins, carrots, ff/sf yogurts, apples etc for very reasonable points. I'm home for two days now, so am going to make a batch of my skinny coleslaw to see me through. It will be a busy day today; we have fencing on the agenda.

Have a good day!
Karen
Old 04-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all,

Judy - Good for you for weighing in on Saturday. I bet that small gain is already gone. I hope you had fun in AC!

Karen - Great attitude about the gain. I knew you'd have it off in no time! What great snacks you're bringing to work. It feels so good on so many levels to eat healthily, doesn't it? I've made the skinny coleslaw too and loved it, although I was a bit too heavy on the sour cream. It's a great thing to keep on hand.

Tanya - I'm so sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. Hang in there. And I concur with Karen - don't fret about coming here to vent and mope - it's what we're here for. Your Easter on the farm sounds like it was lovely. We spent Easter in the suburbs, but had a bit of a farm experience. We took Ana to see the Easter Bunny and visit the petting zoo that is always in town the day before Easter and while she was at the petting zoo, a goat gave birth. She was fascinated; I got the dry heaves.

Jenny - Sorry to hear you were sick. Enjoy your break from school.

Emily - Been there, done that - more than once. Baby steps are the way to go. Here's to a great fresh start for you!

I'm thrilled to post a 3lb loss this week (from my last weigh-in two weeks ago). It's all that water I've been retaining and retaining and I'm glad to get rid of it. This week and next is/will be hellish - only word for it. We have 1st Communion practices on Tuesday and Thursday of both weeks and 1st Communions to work over both weekends, plus Ana makes her 1st Communion on the 30th. My house is nowhere near company ready and I can't even think about what to serve, but John is insisting we have the luncheon here rather than a restaurant. I feel a major hissy coming on. Ok, I'm taking deep breaths. I was fretting about not being able to be on program cause I couldn't possible find time to shop and cook and then I realized that no one is going to suffer if we live on sandwiches, soup and salads for a couple of weeks. So, I'm onward and forward with getting more weight off before my surgery. And now - off to job #1.

Carla
Old 04-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #7  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Hi everyone,

I hope it is ok that I join your thread. I could really use some support. I really blew it big time over Easter but I am back on track now. This week my weigh in was 162.8 so i was up .4

Bev
Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #8  
Canadian, eh?

Hi Bev, and welcome. Nice to meet you! I think Easter was a bit tough on most people.

Carla - WTG on your loss! Yay - no more camel-woman. How cool for Ana that she got to see a kid being born; that's probably something she'll always remember. (hopefully she'll forget about your dry heaves). As for company, if you're really short on cleaning time, do the bathroom, move all the clutter to a room you can close the door on, give a quick dust and vacuum, and you should be good to go...and months later, when you find you haven't used anything from the clutter piles, chuck them all out...don't laugh - I have used this technique on more than one occasion! Hellish Communion...isn't that an oxymoron?? Sorry, couldn't resist!

We got all our fenceposts put in yesterday - tomorrow we start with the page wire. Today is a catch up day in the house for me - lots to do. So far so good this week for food - fridge is looking a lttle bare, so I'd better do some meal planning and shop accordingly.

Have a good day.

Karen
Old 04-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #9  

Karen - sorry about the gain and I'm glad to hear that it has not discouraged you. Ah, hormones. I guess I just assume these days that when I am being irrational, emotional, teary, well, you name it, it's those darn hormones. The good news is that the Estroven has really helped the hot flashes. Of coursde, I had a very teary day yesterday - more below. I had to LOl about your PAR experience. When I was recovering from my appendectomy, lo those many moons ago, I work up from the anethesia and barfed - but I got my mom, and not a nurse! I absolutely have to try your skinny coleslaw. I know you buy the bagged, shredded veggies, but what else do you put in it?

Jenny - having finished school in December, I know how exciting it is to be finished finally! I know you'll enjoy the time you'll have.

Emily - sorry about the gain but it's good that you are taking control now and starting to do the things we know work. You'll get those pounds off in now time.

Tanya - sorry you've been feeling so rotten lately. I join Karen in saying please try to come here even if you're feeling crummy. It's really when we need each other most and when we are the most vulnerable to the snackies and bad eating monsters. The farm souinds like it was wonderful for the family - I'm glad the change of scenery was good for you.

Carla - Congratulations on the great loss! I am retaining water like crazy (always do on Passover) and it's drving me crazy. I have to say that I laughed about your petting zoo experience although I'm sure it is something Ana will always remember. I agree with Karen's method of getting ready for company. Very smart, gets what needs to get done, done, and hopefully will let you keep your sanity. Sandwiohes, soups and salads works just great. It's a good way to lighten up for spring (she says as she sits in 80 degree, sunny weather).

Bev - welcome! 0.4 doesn't sound like blowing it big to me. I'm sure you did better than you have in the past, and that's a lot of progress!

Tony and I had a good time in AC. I basically came out even and he won which is always nice. I did fairly well eating wise and did work out each day (yoga one day and a little cardio and strength the next). I'm retaining water like crazy though and wasn't exactly stellar the night we got home - not terrible, just too much matzo (which also tends to make me contipated). The sneak peeks are not good. Yesterday, I had plans to do a bunch of straightening up around the house, change closets and do a great workout. First though, I went to pick up my cap, gown and hood for gradutation. On the way back, and while I was stopped in traffic, an idiot in a sports car plowed into the back of my car. To say I got teary is an understatement. The police officer who came was a doll though and even stayed until Tony came (he was out at his dad's at the time). My car is in the shop for the near future. The idiot was 100% at fault so hopefully there won't be any hassles there. My back and neck started to hurt, and so did my chest (it was anxiety) so Tony took me to the hospital to get checked out. All is well although last night I felt like someone had taken a plank and whacked me in the upper/mid-back. I was so drained when we finally got home. Doctor's orders were to rest for 24/48 hours, ice,heat, etc., which I did (as well as take a pain pill before bed). I know I had to watch my snacking in the evening - I was sore, still a bit shaken up and feeling sorry for myself. Let's just say that the snacking could have been better and it could have been worse. Thankfully, I woke up this morning feeling pretty good. I had a doctor's appt scheduled for this morning anyway. Nothing unusual, bp is good, sugar is good but I am going to try another med to raise my good cholesterol (since other methods like exercise don't seem to work for me). He was pretty good about the weight - I told him that I have lost about 5 pounds since Feb. He and the nurse practitioner agreed with my plan to do some yoga today - not with the slim (and rather silly) thought I had in my head to try something more strenuous today. I did manage to do a little closet straightening this afternoon and am about to go inside and do a little light yoga for my back. I'm going to try to guzzle water to see if I can stop imitating camel woman!

Have a great one,
Judy

Last edited by JudySP; 04-20-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #10  
Canadian, eh?

Judy - so sorry to hear about your accident, and hope that you don't end up getting any more sore in the next few days. I'm glad you got checked out at the hospital. Sounds like a good trip to AC. My skinny coleslaw is something like this: preshredded cabbage/carrot, a bit of light mayo, a blob of ff sour cream, salt, pepper, a bit of powdered ranch dip mix, raisins, sunflower seeds and a chopped unpeeled apple. I've never measured anything, so can't be more precise. I'm going to send you a PM, as I have a favor I'd like to ask.

Karen
Old 04-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #11  

Wow, you gals are so awesome. I know I have a lot of support here and greatly appreciate it. I tend to hibernate when I feel rotten as I find it hard admitting when things aren't rosy which is not a good thing to do and something I need to work on.

Karen ~ See I knew that small gain would be gone in no-time. WTG on all the fencing work - that's hard slog and excellent exercise. WTG also on your great eating habits. Yum, your skinny slaw sounds terrific. Think I'll give that a go as I could do with some extra fibre. Hope I can find powdered ranch dip mix although I'm pretty sure we won't, but I'm sure something else would work. I'm always astounded at the variety of goods available in your supermarkets.

Carla ~ I lol at your experience with the birthing goat. Sorry you're having a stressful time getting the house ready and planning food for the Communion. Hope it goes smoothly for you. Congrats on the 3lb loss - that's terrific.

Bev ~ Welcome. .4 is nothing for an Easter blowout - I'm sure you'll have that off and more next weigh-in.

Judy ~ Huge hugs. Having someone plow into you must have been terrifying. Glad the policeman looked after you til Tony came and that you got checked out at the hospital. Glad to hear you had a great time in AC and did well with your eating. Sorry to hear about having to take another med to raise your good cholesterol especially since it sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hopefully it's just a temporary measure.

Must dash and tidy up a bit. I'm taking the boys to a movie this afternoon. I'm going with a friend and we'll have at least 8 boys between us (more if she brings a couple of extras which is likely) and the 2 extras I have are also sleeping over. It's Bradley's 7th birthday on Sunday so we're heading away for the day to Hanmer which is just under 2 hours away. I'm looking forward to soaking in the hotpools for a while. If I don't check in over the weekend, have a great one all. I'm looking forward to really getting back to exercise and getting OP next week. I'll weigh-in on Wednesday - I hope the damage isn't too great.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #12  

Karen - I'v PM'd you back. No problem! Thanks for the skinny coleslaw recipe. I think I'm going to take a trip to the supermarket tomorrow and get the veggies and the ranch dip mix. It sounds like something I'd love and would be great to munch on. I've done the "washing the coleslaw" thing and it works (and tastes OK) but it gets very expensive to buy.

Tanya - I assume by now you've survived the movies with all those small boys. What did you all go to see? Anthony is looking forward to a Disney animated movie, "Cars" that is supposed to open in June. I promised him I'd take him. Happy, Happy Birthday to Bradley! Enjoy the trip - soaking in hot pools sounds absolutely heavenly! Don't stress about Wed - it probably won't be as bad as you think and in any case, in onwards and downwards from here!

I snacked a bit tonight - Passover is over tonight and I just had to have a little cold cereal and milk and a piece of the Core oatmeal bread. I did a little gentle yoga before dinner and if I don't have any problem when I wake up, I'm going to try to do something a little more strenuous.

Have a great evening (or morning, Tanya ;-)
Judy
Old 04-20-2006, 11:12 PM   #13  
Canadian, eh?

Judy - when's your graduation? Congratulations!!

Tanya - you are so brave - I think I'd probably die if I had to deal with 8 small boys. Look for the dip mix by the salad dressings. There's tons of stuff that's commonplace in the US that we don't get in Canada - it's kind of frustrating - but on the other hand, most of it is unhealthy junk, so it's probably not a bad thing!!

Enough postings for today...
Old 04-21-2006, 12:54 AM   #14  

The movie was fun. We went to see The Shaggy Dog. We're several months behind the States for movies.

Judy ~ I'll keep an eye out for "Cars". Sounds like the boys would love it. I imagine it won't open here til at least September, if not later. WTG on getting through Passover and getting some Yoga in.

Karen ~ The boys were really good. I really only have 1 little one - the other 3 are pretty sensible which makes life easier. Our variety of foods is fairly limited - mainly I guess because of the cost of getting it here. My Canadian Aunt and Uncle bought me a recipe book and I didn't know what half of the ingredients were, or even what might be used as a substitute. Corn syrup is a good example as we don't have that here but a friend did give me a substitute recipe to make my own.

Oh oh. Cam has woken up. He fell asleep in the car and always wakes up sooooo ugly!! He screams his head off but won't let me get him out of the car. This is going to be fun.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #15  
Back on Program!

Hi everyone. I see we all barely survived the easter holidays and have been having a lovely pity party! I would like to join too!!!
I decided to change my weigh in day to Friday, so I'm starting over again as of today. I have been good with exercise but bad with food, and that has to change as of NOW!! My weight is up a couple of pounds and I had already hoped to have lost 10lb towards my Hawaii goal by now. I am determined to get back on track. Only 2 months to go until my trip!

The 5k was last night, and I finished it! But I really thought I was going to die and of course I didn't run the whole way....did a mix of walk/run.
My DH stayed with me the whole time. We were nowhere near being last! BUT it took us 50 minutes! I would really like to train for real and be able to actually run an entire 5k one of these days. And let's keep in mind that I worked a 10 hour shift before the run so I think that hindered me a little....
We are both off today, and spent all morning doing yard work. I am not sore from the 5k but I sure will be tomorrow from all the weed-pulling---and there is still so much to do!!

I'm off to do laundry. Maybe pull some more weeds......I love all you girls!!
Closed Thread