Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 12:09 AM   #1  

I've been on and off for the past year. After the Holidays in Dec. I was doing great! Then at the end of Jan. I got laid off at work and I've gained 9.5 lbs!!! When I worked I had a routine for eating, now that I've been home I'm eating everything. The first two weeks being depressed about work I let it go but now I can't get into a new routine. I don't plan on getting another job until mid-April. Does anone have any suggestions how to keep my eating to breakfast, lunch, dinner and a few low point snacks in between rather than eating whenever I want? I can't seen to get it back together. Thx.

(un)Luckyred8
Old 03-08-2001, 07:41 AM   #2  

Default Don't Give Up!

Hi Lucky,

I know that it is hard when you are home most of the day. I'm a student and it's much easier to walk to the fridge on a break. There are a few things you could try that have worked for me.

- Only eat at the kitchen table - so this way your eating is confined to set meals at the table - this helps stop your grazing (e.g., standing and opening the fridge, grabbing something, and walking back to the couch with it).

- Have low fat snacks on hand in a designated snack bowl. This might help so that if you can't resist the urge to snack, then you have something healthy. I like to stock mine with low-fat popcorn, fruit (plums are a favourite), and low-fat granola bars. In the freezer I stock fat free fudgiscles (for 1 pt) - they are fab!!! (esp. for the chocolate cravings).

- Make time to do stuff for yourself. If you feel the urge to gravitate to the fridge, try doing something else ... like put on a CD and listen to a tune, take a bath, step outside for some fresh air, have a drink of water, or go on-line. Maybe it's just a way of telling yourself that you're kind of bored with what you're doing at that moment and would like a change. Try something new!

Anyway, these are just suggestions ... good luck!!!

JB
Old 03-08-2001, 09:03 AM   #3  
GARDENING ADDICT

Lucky~~~
JB had some very good suggestions for you (all of which I have used at one time or another).
Drinking lots of water and fiber really helps the hunger problem but stress eating can be another issue.

Two things that I have found helpful are: Keeping my hands busy. Do you have any hobbies or interests that will keep you and your hands busy? I like to garden outside and do landscape plans inside on my drafting table. Both of which don't allow for grazing. Some others like to knit or scrapbooking, etc.

The other thing is as JB said, visit online. I like to visit these sites because it not only keeps those hands busy but it is a constant, positive motivator. When I can read what everybody is doing to stay OP and learn more about a healthier lifestyle , it acts as a great form of reinforcement.
And don't forget EXERCISE. This will keep you busy, increase the endorphins that will help with depression, and help you to feel better about yourself because you are doing something for YOU.

Oh yeh, at night taking a hot bubble- bath with a cup of hot fat free hot-chocholate can help to sooth both the body and the sweet cravings.

You are welcome to join our group here (starting over~newbies welcome) . If we all support each other WE CAN DO IT. Good Luck and keep in touch.~~~Sil
Closed Thread