WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:03 PM   #1  

Default New cpould use some advice

I just signed up today. Any advice from someone who has been doing this a while.

Thank you
Old 01-20-2005, 09:13 AM   #2  

I would say that if you are naturally sedentary like I am that you should find a fun hobby to occupy some of your time. My biggest challenge is resisting the urge to collapse in front of the tv with food. Usually, if I make myself get up and do something or even if I just make sure my hands are busy, I don't think about food as much. Stick around the boards, you'll find plenty of support and lots of ideas!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #3  

Hmmm, some basics that I think are important.

Move! You don't have to join a fancy gym or buy the latest exercise tape or equipment, but do something. Walk, dance, clean the kitchen, play in the snow, go ice skating. Just anything.

Journal! It keeps you on track better than anything. Either the night before or that morning, make out your menu for the day. Even if it has to change slightly, that's ok.
But what always causes me problems is not PLANNING. If I don't have an afternoon snack planned, then I sit there and think about it, what sounds good, what do I have, etc. I usually end up eating more than I should and am usually left unsatisfied. Where as if I wrote down "orange" for snack. I just grab the orange without even thinking and in most cases enjoy it and feel satisfied.

Water! Always drink your water. Now, I know some will disagree, but I think you should drink just plain old water. Not flavored stuff with artificial sweetener or diet pop or iced tea, but just water. It makes a huge difference.

Follow the points pies and guidelines for healthy eating! These are important. When your body is getting all the nutrients it needs, you are much less likely to have cravings, be hungry or overeat. Yes you CAN have candy and chips and things like that. But make them occasional treats, not a way of every day eating.

Eat a varied diet. Don't eat the same foods day in and day out. I know when I hit plateaus, it was usually because I was eating a lot of the same things day in and day out. Experiment. Go to different grocery or market. Try a vegetable you've never had or an exotic fruit. Read labels! You'd be surprised when you read labels that some foods are much healthier than you'd think and some are much worse than you would think.

Limit the amount of processed foods. Foods that are in the more natural form are usually more filling and satisfying. Like oatmeal, for instance. Instead of using the little packets that are loaded with sugar and the oatmeal is over processed and stripped of the vitamins and nutrients, use real whole oats, with real apples or applesauce and cinnamon.

Don't give up!!!! One bad day is just that. You aren't a failure, you haven't wrecked anything, you didn't "cheat". This is a lifetime change, not a temporary diet. It's a marathon, not a sprint, and you have to pace yourself. You won't lose every single week. Some weeks, you won't do so well and you will lose. It doesn't always have rhyme or reason to it. But if you stay on program for the most part, you will be successful.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #4  
No Uno Mas?

I keep a basket in my cubbard with 1 and 2 points snacks. When I have a craving I just picked something out of the basket and still know I'm ok on my daily points. I agree with Multi116 on the water. I drink between 120-160oz per day and I know it makes a big difference not just with weight loss. they're many other benefits.
Closed Thread