WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 09:37 AM   #16  

I'm not fond of tomato based soups, so I make my 0 point with (use any amounts) - onions, celery, carrots, escarole, green beans, cabbage cooked in fat free chicken broth. After the soup is cooked I sometimes add diced zucchini for a few minutes so they don't get mushy. I still refuse tocount onions and carrots as points.

As for commercial products, I like the Campbell's 98% ff New England Clam Chowder (4 points for the whole can) and Progresso Lentil Soup (4 points for the whole can). Sometimes with the Lentil Soup I use l/2 the can and add 1 cup rice for a hearty 5 point dish.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:38 AM   #17  
imaleader

Default Rice

and lentil soup is one of my favorites -- but it's a six point dish (2 pts for 1/2 can soup and 4 points for 1 cup rice.)

Old 05-21-2001, 11:40 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

My favorite brand is Healthy Valley. It's an organic brand and they have several ff varieties. A bit pricy, but delicious.
Old 05-21-2001, 12:18 PM   #19  

Uncle Ben's Converted Rice is only 3 points per cup. That is the brand I use to make the lentils and rice for a total of 5 points. Some of the other rice brands are higher.
Old 05-21-2001, 03:08 PM   #20  
imaleader

Nice touch! I never knew that.... (Why would it be less? Who cares!) Wild rice, by the way (not a rice, either, but a grass) is only 3 points per cup... for what it's worth.

Old 05-21-2001, 03:59 PM   #21  

I am a big fan of WW veggie soup. I usually make mine with a stewed tomato base. 1 can of italian or mexican spiced, plus a can of water (sometimes add beef boullion) the I add onions, carrots (I don't count pts for these), celery, mushrooms, zucchini, and sometimes spinach. Other times I'll add peas, corn or beans (add the pts). I eat it almost every day.

My other favorite variation is to use a chicken broth base, add carrots, onion, mushrooms and zucchini, and maybe a few slices of water chestnut. Then just a splash of sesame oil. Makes a nice oriental flavor. This one I leave mostly liquid, whereas the tomato one is very chunky.
Old 05-21-2001, 08:19 PM   #22  

Someone mentioned an instant Miso soup - mine is homemade and I love it!

2 tbl (or to taste) miso
juice of 1 lemon
spring onion
3 oz firm tofu
(opt) small amount of dried seaweed

I get the ingredients ready while the kettle boils, mix the miso thoroughly with the lemon juice, then just pour it overtop. Instant amazing soup for 2 points.

The lemon was my own addition, and I've tried both light and dark miso and enjoyed them both.
Closed Thread