Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #16  

G'day all,

Lily I am pleased the rain has stopped for you, I didn't realise the flooding was so close to you.
It is amazing how quickly computers are outdated. I remember when i bought my laptop 4 years ago, state of the art of course , and it had a 40 GIG hard drive, that was HUGE! A friend would not believe it, he had a computer with a 2 GIG hard drive so how could one possibly have a 40 GIG hard drive on a laptop! The laptop is still going and is fine but......
DH is happy to take over my current computer, there are all sorts of things on it (which he thought were essential at the time he was building it) that I have no use for. My new computer will have a duel hard drive of 200 GIG each so a total of 400 GIG Apparently by having a dual hard drive, it is that much faster again which will be great for my photoshop files.
I shudder to think how much we have spent on computers over the years starting with the 'VIC 20' then the 'Commodore 64' etc. etc. Do any of you remember those???????

Peggy I had similar problems with logging in and was just unable to do anything. Somehow or other I managed to get a screen up with a 'contact the administrator' and did that and all was resolved. For me it was that i had changed my email address and the confirming email was classed as spam by my provider and I never got it to re activate my account.
I will email Glenda suggesting what perhaps might be a solution.

Still hot here but a bit of a rain is forecast which will be great for the garden.

Hope everyone is well and happy,

Cheers,
Maria
Old 01-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #17  
Web Nana

We are in the midst of a January thaw here in the Northeast. Today it was 50 about 3 PM.

Did some work for DD#1 today. She works for a mortgage company and does periodic mailings to her clients. She did one in the Spring with a Red Sox Calendar and in the Fall a calendar with the Patriot's schedule. Today she had a calendar made up with the combined schedules for the Boston Celtics and the Boston Bruins. On the top is a magnetic strip to which she adhered her business card. She also had a flyer insert that mentioned the new 'no call' on cellphone information and also mentioned the new higher minimum payments on credit cards and finally the fact the the postage rate increases by 2 cents this month. She included a strip of 2 cent stamps to help those who had any old postage stamps leftover. Clever kid I got! I was happy to help and it did free her up to do other work.

DH is doing so great. Still no pain and on Sunday he removed the bandage and all he has are two small pin point dots on his knee. Oh, he also had a message on his knee. It is the word "YES" over the right knee. He was told he would be asked many times which knee was being operated on and he would probably get sick of answering. Lo and behold they marked it. I think that is better than operating on the wrong knee. He is doing so well I'll bet he is driving by Friday or Saturday latest.

Maria: Computers are built to be obsolete by the time you buy them...or so it seems. Last one I had was only 4 years old when I knew I needed a bigger one and I don't do the kind of work that you do!

Sally: Hope you are getting out in the Sun and Surf in Maui. Enjoy and don't mind the jealous ladies you left behind

Lily: I don't know which is worse too much rain or not enough. It seems we can't seem to stay on an even keel.

Gloria
Old 01-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #18  

Good to hear your dh is doing so well Gloria and good to hear the precautions taken to operate on the right knee

Maria
Old 01-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #19  
Life Time 2001

Maria: I dont remeber the VIC 20 But I had a Commodore 64. My Dad had some old Thing to it was call a Kapro. Man that thing was heavy. We took it apart last year to get rid of it. Must of weigh 60-70 pounds

Gloria: Thats funny about the yes on the Knee Glad he is doing so well!

Off to watch TV
Old 01-10-2006, 12:39 AM   #20  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone

Maria & Lily I remember when you got your new computers, it doesn't seem that long ago. I am hoping to keep mine until the end. Everything becomes obsolete so quickly. I told you that my DD & family bought us a DVD player. Well, I read in the paper that something else is taking its place already, I think it was a PVD? Might have the wrong initials for it.

Gloria it is a good thing they take those precautions. You hear of people having the wrong limb removed sometimes. When my aunts had their cataract surgeries, they would put an X on the forehead above the eye so they wouldn't make a mistake. Your DH must feel so happy without all that pain he had.

We had a busy weekend. On Sunday we went to birthday party. They invite both sides of their family all at once. That little girl was so excited, we had a really nice day. All the birthdays are over for another month, that means I can get a break from all that cake.

I have to tell you a little story about her. My DD put on the DVD Cinderella for and then she went to nurse MC in his bedroom. When she was done, she went into the kitchen and found scrubbing the floor like Cinderella. She told her mommy that everything was nice and clean now. She took a little container, went into the master bathroom and got the water from the bathtub taps and was washing the kitchen floor with a tea towel. Apparently it was quite a mess...

Time to call it a day... see you tomorrow..bye bye..
Old 01-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #21  
Fun Blonde

I hope I am posting in the right place. Suzanne sent me another password. I think that was right about the information going to my spamblocker. The sad thing was that I didn't know how to access the things. Maria, you were right.

I don't know where I am I have only read this thread. I am so behind that I am almost in front. So, I will start from here.

Gloria, glad your hubby is doing better. Trudy, you have had so much going on. Your angel is so funny. Aren't kids just hilarious with their perceptions of the world?!! They keep us young.

Maria, the way Matilda is bonding with you is just magical. We have that with Makenzie, but she is still pretty crazy about her mama.

Yea! I'm back!
Glenda
Old 01-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #22  

G'day all,

We are planning our trip to the Victorian High Country (here you can find our trip notes http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/Ea...gh_Country.asp)
We will be away for only 7 days but it will be a good try out with our camper.
We will be leaving next Tuesday, meeting up with friends for breakfast about 2 hours out of Adelaide and then we will be heading off. Should be good and some great photographic opportunities

Glenda good to see you back, the spam fighters are all well and good but sometimes they just 'spam' the wrong stuff! You are absolutely right about little Matilda...I am even thinking of offering to look after her one day per week..now that is a 180 degree turn of events! I spoke to dh about it and he agrees, we both enjoy her such a lot now and whilst she is very mobile and keeps you on your toes, it is so much better then when she was a little baby. I used to love taking my children to the botanical gardens to feed the ducks, the zoo, the beach etc. etc.
Our son told dh that he was amazed how much Matilda learns from me and how much they appreciate Matilda being able to come here for many more reasons then one.
I cannot say too much to our dd because we obviously cannot do the same for her other then visit her in Melbourne as often as we can. She gets a bit homesick when she hears what is happening here. She still has bad 'morning sickness' 24 hours a day so is generally feeling quite sorry for herself

Trudy your little angel is just socute, you wonder what goes on in that little head for her to imitate Cinderella!
You are right I got a new computer in Sydney less then 12 months ago, now that dh is retired he will use that one and I will get another one.
I think that will be IT for a long time to come!
I haven't heard of what will possibly replace the DVD but nothing woulod surprise me.

Lily the VIC 20 was the forerunner of the Commodore 64.
We had friends over last night who are not at all computer literate, he says he does not even know how to turn one on. They are planning a trip to New Zealand and had been to a travel agent and were quoted a price. I told him I would check what was available on line. The very same flight etc. was available on line for $423 less!!!! He couldn't believe it and was very hesitant to book, he thought it was too good to be true. We did book it and then I received an email to verify their flight etc. they left our place very happy and I don't even charge commision

Hope you are all having a great day...just wished it would get a little cooler...

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #23  
Life Time 2001

Trudy: Yes things change way to fast. We just bought a new TV that was HDT? I dont know cant keep up with it all. LOL on Angel. Oh my goodness I can just see her moms Eyes! To cute! Such a cute story!

Glenda Glad you made it back! I have missed you!

Maria: We buy all on line way cheaper. So much you cant find in a phone book. Had a great deal to Hawaii this year. DH is good at it. We actually went to Australia before you joined this board. Went to Cains, Sydney, Melborne. Hotels car, all, For very cheap. Was awesome!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #24  
Fun Blonde

Lily, I have not only been gone, but been pretty much removed on what is happening in the world. Are you floating away? And it just keeps raining. I wonder why all the rain is going your way and via Washington when we are burning up, literally. We did have a quick snowfall--temps went from 70 to 27 in one day, but that will be dried out immediately. I think tomorrow it is supposed to be 70. I guess firefighters got a rest.

Maria, I am so glad you are really getting to try out your camper. This will be awesome. My mother lived 2 hours drive away and my sister and brother lived in town. I understand your DD. My kids didn't get quite the same hands-on treatment as their cousins. Grandparents went to every ballgame, etc. Mine got that occasionally. But overall, I liked being just a little bit removed. We have had just too much going on. This weekend is nothing and I can't wait. We need a nothing weekend, just playing.

Anybody seen any of the new movies? We have. I loved Narnia, hated the Family Stone and lukewarm about Rumor Has It.
Glenda
Old 01-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #25  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi everyone...

I got an e-mail from Slavika today. She has dial-up connection and is asking that we don't send her anything with attachments or pictures. They are settleing just fine and we should hear from her soon.
I dug through my re-cycle box and found the article that mentions the recorder. It is also called the Personal Video Recorder... PVR (also known as a digital video recorder) I will never be able to keep up with all of this new technology.
Glenda glad you are back. Suzanne is so quick to help out, I guess she gave you a new password.
There were 2 articles in our newspaper that I am going to send on, both have to do with our weather here. I always find this stuff interesting.
Lily What does HDT stand for? No doubt I have never heard of it. We need a new tv, or a repairman. The picture is just awful.
Maria the trip sounds great. No wonder you have a Range Rover, I am sure it is needed on the trips you take.

Bye for now..
Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #26  

G'day all,

Trudy HDT stands for 'high definition technology' it is excellent. A couple of years ago we bought this massive 106 cm plasma screen (we are shocking gadget and new technology buyers) and the picture was very disappointing, certainly not like it was in the shop. We then realised we needed a 'set top box' that would give us HDT. Now many TV's, Plasma's and LCD TV's come with the HDT built in. Our TV is now all digitially broadcasted and anologue technolgy is phased out so even a HDT set top box on an ordinairy TV gives a much better quality picture. DH has bought a set top box for every TV we have, you MUST have a good quality picture...he says
No wonder our kids shake their heads at us
I mentioned it to dh about the PVR and yes that is on his list!!! He nearly bought one in Sydney, he was able to get a good deal through work if 5 of them all bought the same one. He rang to see if I was OK with but it was still very expensive so he didn't get it. The other fellows did get it and raved about it....

Lily you will love your new TV.
Pity you never went to the best city in Australia...Adelaide Which area did you enjoy most though you went to some very different places, it might be hard to make a comparison. I just love Port Douglas, north of Cairns, love the Sydney harbour, love the shopping in Melbourne and the general feel of the place.

Glenda I don't really go to the movies so cannot recommend anything.

I will go and read the interesting facts that Trudy sent...

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 AM   #27  
Life Time 2001

Glenda: Some days it feels like we are floating away. They have had several floods around us. Its weird the weather. Seems like its getting worse everywhere. Havent seen any new Movies.

Maria: I loved Cains and Sydney the most. Would like to go back to both. Mostly Sydney. Want to spend more time in the otter cities there. Hated Melboune. Reminded me of San Francisco. To many people.

Trudy: Im sure Slavika is having a good time Im so jealous.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 AM   #28  
Life Time 2001

Glenda: Some days it feels like we are floating away. They have had several floods around us. Its weird the weather. Seems like its getting worse everywhere. Havent seen any new Movies.

Maria: I loved Cains and Sydney the most. Would like to go back to both. Mostly Sydney. Want to spend more time in the otter cities there. Hated Melboune. Reminded me of San Francisco. To many people.

Trudy: Im sure Slavika is having a good time Im so jealous.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #29  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone: I can't believe it is so long since I posted. I don't know what I have been doing, just being lazy, I guess.

Gloria: So glad your DH is doing well with his knee. Hopefully a knee replacement won't be necessary. My shoulder is doing well. It is hard not to pick up something, but I keep trying to remember.

Maria: Your camping trip sounds exciting. Will be looking forward to your photos. About the sugar bush - that is a term used for a stand of maple trees. Don't ask me why or how it came about. The big Vermont farms that make maple syrup their main business have actually what I would call a forest of maple trees, but it to is referred to as a Sugar Bush.

Glenda: Glad you made it back. I found Suzanne very helpful when I had a similar problem. The only movie we have seem was Memoirs of a Geisha. We both liked that okay. Now that we have our DVD player, we are renting more films and just staying home. Most everything that is in the theater will soon come out on DVD. We finally saw Cinderella Man.

Lily: I am glad you are not floating away. Floods and mudslides are scary. I have a question for you - why do your posts come in twice?
You and Maria are the computer experts. I am just glad to have one that works and that I can do the stuff I want on it. It is 4 years old, and of course outdated, but that is okay.

I started our chorus rehearsals this past Monday. I think we will have fun with the show. At least everyone seemed enthusiastic about it. Time will tell. Had a wonderful Massage on Tuesday. It sure helped since I know I did a lot of compensating with the sore shoulder.

We went out to breakfast with a group from our church this a.m. Since my breakfast had many points I am not eating again until dinner time. And I do love bacon. We get a 50% reduced fat bacon, and i cook it in the Microwave on paper towels, so that gets rid of even more.

Trudy: Isn't it wonderful how little ones minds work. I'm sure your was sure she was being very helpful. Sounds like a fun birthday party.
I have sent some things to Sally that she probably won't be able to access, but now I will be good. Glad she is having a good time.

Peggy: There are some nice things on that artists site. I often wish I was more clever in the art line, and that I had the time and inclination to persue even the things I can do. But there are only so many hours in the day.

Have to go and meet some folks at the clubhouse so they can check our facilites since they are coming to put on a program for us after one of our dinners.

My WW weigh-in wasn't too bad. After enjoying all the Holiday goodies, I only gained 1.2. So now I just have to be serious again.

I'm going to try to get back here more often. Sometimes I guess I just don't think about it. Hope you all have a great weekend. Ann
Old 01-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #30  

G'day everyone,

Nice to 'see' you Ann, and you did not do too badly at all with the small gain from enjoying the holiday goodies.
I simply MUST get on track, it is really starting to get me down and of course I only have myself to blame
I cannot speak for Lily but I am certainly NOT a computer expert, I may know a few programs fairly well but that is about it. I perhaps try a few more things but that is only because I have used a computer for many years. Having a dh who is very technically minded (my helpdesk) also helps a lot!
It is very strange how Lily's posts come up twice.

Lily I am surprised you hated Melbourne, if I had to live in either Sydney or Melbourne, it would definitly be Melbourne. I feel the only thing going for Sydney is its harbour which is spectacular. There is always great rivalry between the two cities and they always seem to try and outdo one and other with events staged in their cities. Unfortunately many events bypass lil' ol' Adelaide!

Received a call from dd and thank goodness she is back to her old self. Seems like she has turned the corner with her morning sickness and sounded very chirpy. She has booked a flight for herself and her dh to Adelaide to help dh celebrate his 60th in March. DH will be thrilled that she will be here for that.

Bit more getting ready for our trip over the next few days....

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread