Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 02:18 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #62

G'day all,

It has not stopped raining here today, hence I am still messing about doing things on my computer.

This morning I went to do an inspection on an investment property ds bought a little while ago.
The tenant is, what we all thought a single Mum....this morning there was a chap there...as it turns out it is her second husband, an American from Ohio. She met him on the internet and they were married 3 years ago. He has not been able to get residency in Australia until 1 month ago.
The place was mess, VERY untidy but I guess not really that dirty.
They knew I was coming but no effort has been made to clean the place, what a couple of 'dropkicks'.
Told them I will be back in a month and I expect the housekeeping standard to have improved.

I hope you are all having a nice weekend...

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #2  
Member Florida Chick

Just a quickie: first- up .2 yesterday. I know that is not much, but I would much prefer it to be down. Just have to keep on keepin' on.

Today at church we had an opportunity to give toward air mattresses for a church in Baton Rouge, who is turning their gymnasium into a shelter for around 100 people. And the first order is air mattresses. I hope we got enough funds to send. Our former Worship Leader is there and he has been in touch with us to be able to help.

Things are dreadfull all over the Gulf Coast, and I am sure that much will be learned from this whole horrible thing. I have a hard time being too critical of stuff, because this is of such magnitude that it has been difficult to deal with from both a physical, and psychological need, as well. I can't even imagine, in my wildest dreams, what those displaced folks are going through, nor can I understand the heartache that the rescue people are facing everyday. For myself, I can't criticize Pres. Bush. It doesn't matter what any president does, in any situation, there is always a group who won't be happy. And it doesn't matter the political affiliation, the criticism will come. Wish I could quote what Abe Lincoln said about pleasing people. But I think you all know what I am refering to.

We thought we had a bad situation here last year, but in comparison it was a picnic. We had very few people who lost everything. I think the city of Punta Gorda was hit the worst. We hear the term post traumatic stress in so many situations. I believe that those folks over there will be suffering from that for a long time to come. Refugees and workers alike.

Guess this wasn't so short a message after all. And also guess I have been on my soap box long enough.

I have made up my mind that this week I am not going to stray from the plan at all, and see if that will help my numbers. It isn't as if I had much more to lose. But I know that the last few lbs. turn out to be the hardest to get rid of. 'See' you later. Ann

Last edited by Lizziepie; 09-04-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #3  

Today was a beautiful Florida day. The kind we moved here for. The sun was shining. A breeze was blowing all in all a wonderful day. Sprout was in heaven because we got to walk several times today. Plus we stopped and visited along the way. He is a very popular little guy. The summers are very hot here sometime times all you can do is go from house to car and car to shop or what ever. But today was great.

Ann sorry you were up a bit. Try not to get too discouraged. Like you said just keep on keeping on.

I know I was very upset over how the situation on the gulf coast was handled. But after thinking about it i've come to understand that every one was was in shock. FEMA was expected to to handle it. And in most cases they can. But in this case the hurricane happened and then the flood. They needed way more resourses than they had. Now everything else has kicked in and help is is happening and more on the way. I do feel for all those people. Some are being taken to places they have no clue about. Families have become seperated. It is heartbreaking to say the least.

I've been working on my Christmas Cards that Im painting. Not real happy with the way they are turning out. Had to walk away for a while.

Slavika hows the first few days going for you and your DH?

Well enough for now
See you all later
Old 09-04-2005, 08:27 PM   #4  

G'day everyone,

A lovely spring day here today

The situation in New Orleans is unbelievable and I feel for those people who went without food and water for a number of days. The anarchy was a disgrace , I am pleased law and order is restored to some extent.

I guess I am NOT an American but for an outsider it is unbelievable how badly relief was 'co-ordinated'. The recent Tsunami, which was TOTALLY unexpected, (the hurricane WAS expected) relief was there within a day, not many people died because of lack of food and water. I guess the outside world sees America as a rich and lawful country so to see so many people left to their own devices for such a long period (5 days) is just incomprehensible.
The sad fact of two policemen taking their own life, is a reflection of the pressure and hopelesness they must have experienced in trying to do their job.
All in all a very sad state of affairs.

The Australian Netball Squad was announced yesterday and our d-i-l is in the squad I am sort of in two minds, lots of baby sitting coming up.
Especially if she is picked to be part of the tour to New Zealand and Jamaica.

Ann sorry you were 'up' eventhough not by much. I lost a lot of weight with WW but after putting most of it back on WW has never been as successful for me again. I don't know if it is because I think I 'know' it all and that I am too slack with weighing etc. or what. All I know it is VERY frustrating.

Karen what is the painting you are doing on your Christmas cards? I guess I will have to start thinking about mine as well, I usually do my own Christmas cards as well.

Hope al is going well for Slavika and her dh.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-06-2005, 09:44 AM   #5  

After all my crowing the other day ,yesterday was a rainy mess! Did get to walk twice so all was not lost.

Maria I'm painting Poinsettia's . Or I should say i was. They were not turning out nice as the last 6 I did . So after trying to fix I finally threw them in the trash. Will have to try again and see if they work out this time. Normally I do flowers well. I think maybe i was over confident.

Did I tell you all that DS got the house they bid on? Yesterday when we talk to them they were just returning from buying furniture for the new living room. And very excited. They will close on Oct 4th. I am thrilled for them.

Not alot going around here today . got the wash done yesterday . So think I'll go eat and do dishes and then maybe pick up the painting again.

Check in later
Karen
Old 09-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #6  
Fun Blonde

Life does go on. I am still reeling from the hurricane disaster and the real disaster of our total unpreparedness for the aftermath. I so hope that the urgent relief is in the works, but I am so concerned about the weeks and months ahead. I know our college is taking university students who were stopped from taking classes, no questions asked. My son is worried about the diseases and contagion that will come from the survivors in time. This whole thing was handled so poorly. One thing I do hope is that we learned from it and when an evacuation is mandated, that there is a means for EVERYONE to get out.

We did our babysitting thing this weekend with the 2 little boys and had Makenzie for about 10 of those hours. Maybe that was the first time with all 3. Makenzie does not share Grandma well at all. Yesterday we went to my sister's and the whole family was there for the day. It was fun to see our grown kids in the swimming pool, like 20 years ago, still playing, but now playing with their kids too.

Maria, your going into spring when we are facing fall is always kind of a shock. I hope you aren't going to have to babysit overly much. Almost makes you wish she wasn't such a good netball player.

Ann, I know you will just keep on. This is when I have always given up, when you have the legal gain, but please don't. I am again on the wagon. Next Saturday I will bite the bullet and go to a meeting. I know I don't do well on my own and I have to get psyched up to gain and lose little bitty amounts and not give up.

Peggy, are you out there? Did you get a lot of rain from Katrina?(such a pretty name for such a horrible storm).

Karen, I love your brown hair. I am not so sold on mine. You know what gets me? This is such a huge change to me and very few people have even noticed. Am I the "invisible" lady? Glad your kids got their house and that you have enjoyed your gardening.

Slavika, I know everything is going well. You have the hardest part over with, I hope. Having your DH home is just such a blessing! And I hope that Bagel and CC will soon benefit from his new retirement status.

All, have a good Tuesday. The best thing about this week is that it will be short.
Glenda

Last edited by survivor; 09-06-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #7  

G'day all,

A magnificent day here today, spring is good My mulberry tree is budding

Glenda isn't that amazing that so few people notice your new hair colour. I always thought it was just my dh but I have had that same experience. To me when I look in the mirror it is just so totally different and yet, like you, few people notice.
Yes I sometimes wish worse than my d-i-l being such a good player.....like a minor injury I have only ever shared that with my dh because I know it sounds really bad DH is off on holidays for the whole month of October and really it is not going to be much of a holiday with babysitting, going over to Melbourne to help our daughter move and attending 3 60th birthdays!
We are thrilled our daughter and her dh have bought a house, it is so much more expensive in Melbourne than in Adelaide.
She tells me it is like a 'blank canvas' in other words...it is a wreck and needs total doing up

KAren what a shame about your pointsettias Pointsettias are very 'Chrismassy'. Our daughter's settlement for their house they purchased is October 13. It is nice to know that those two are now settled and have found a house in an area where they will want to live for the next 10/20 years. We have had quite a downturn in real estate and 12 months ago they could not have afforded to have bought where they did.

At last some 'good' news coming from the hurricane stricken area, no doubt about Oprah Winfrey, John Travolta and the like and the help they are providing.
It must be very difficult for the surrounding states to provide the assistance that is needed.
When you get to this stage of your life and you are comfortable and happy with your surroundings and achievements, to lose the lot and having to start all over again is just something you cannot get your head around.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-07-2005, 10:27 AM   #8  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
I went to Cancer Care with DH yesterday and his blood counts were up again so that is great news. They have given him something new to fight the nausea he is experiencing, hopefully it will help.
We are booked now for our holiday in Maui. We leave on January 8th and will return on March 2nd. We are both looking foreward to going and DH says, he's going no matter what. Our kids are coming on February 8th and leaving on February 21st, they are excited too. School has started for my grandkids today. Big day for our grandson, first day in junior high school, and it's a different school. Oye vey, they grow up fast.
I went over to the kids house and had a play visit with Bagel and CC yesterday. We had them outside and when they romp, you would think they are going to kill each other. They jump on each other, bite each other, walk all over each other, and then rest a couple of minutes, have a quck pee, and start again. They take flying leaps at each other and just squish each other, then drink some water and start all over again. When they have had enough they just plop down by each other and go to sleep. Of course as I sit there watching them, I talk for each pup. "Bagel, would you get your teeth out of my ear please". hee hee My son said I was like a little kid playing with those dogs. Well gals I bit the bullet and went back to WW yesterday. It's my first time back since the begining of December when DH first got sick. Now that we are booked to go away and I have to fit those two new swimsuits I bought last year and never wore, I have to get this weight off or I would have to wear both suits at the same time to cover my body mass, sort of one suit for each half of my body. I am sad to say I have gained 25# since last Christmas. I will have to work VERY hard to get the weight off. Losing 5# per month is doable, but boy it's sure going to take some dedication. Trudy said if I just lost half of the weight, but then that bag that contains $300.00 worth of swimsuits would still not fit me. Well they would likely fit but I would look like a BIG Orange in one swimsuit and a whale in the other......now that's an attractive picture.
So my dear friends, I need all the encourgement I can get from you all.
Today, I am going out with my Wednesday friend friend, for shopping and lunch and looking forward to a wonderful day with a sweet friend. Talk to you all later. Bye now.

Last edited by slavika; 09-07-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #9  

G'day all,

Good for you Slavika and what a goal to have to loose that weight!
I like your dh's attitude that he is going no matter what.
You are not going to believe this but this morning as I got up (before I turned on my computer) I thought I simply MUST do something about the excess weight I am carrying.
The CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific Industrial Research Organisation) bought out the 'Total Well being Diet'.
http://www.csiro.au/index.asp?type=b...ngDiet_Summary
It has been the number one seller for some time and of course I have the book
This morning I got the book out and will now try and 'live' what they preach. It really is a common sense approach. I just find WW doesn't work for me like it used to.
So what with Ann being very active with her weight loss and all of us here, you WILL be slim, trim and terrific and WILL look stunning in your new bathers in Hawaii.

Another beautiful spring day here, though the weekend forecast is not quite so good.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-08-2005, 08:11 AM   #10  

Hmmm, I was here on the 4th and left a message that just disappeared into thin air. Cyberspace is such a mystery to me.

A lady that my niece works with took in about 40 family members that fled NO. I cleaned my closets over the weekend and dropped off a huge bag of clothes. I think it is a wonderful thing that she is doing and I hope it all works out for them. I just can't imagine being left with nothing. I got out my NO pictures from our trip in 2001. We stayed in the Garden District and I am sure that hotel is probably gone. I like the reports that Harry Connick jr has been giving.

Slavika you can do it and lose those 25. You have been under so much stress these last months. 5lbs a month is doable. Glad that you have booked your trip-that gives you great incentive to work for. Glad that dh's numbers are improving. Soon you will be at day 100.

Maria I will go have a look at that site you posted. I need to get with the program and lose about 25. When I am working at the cafeteria I snack on the grapes and fruit now instead of raiding the teachers lunchroom for goodies. Love that collage you put together for me. [Maria created a neat collage of dgs's pics.]

Karen I have never tried to paint a poinsettia. I can do hydrangeas. Keep on trying.

Glenda I had to laugh at you being the invisible lady. Dh and I seem to invisible when we go to restaurants. For some reason they sit us and then forget we are there. We have had this happen a few times-it gets to be a joke.

The weather has been just perfect. It could stay this way all year around for me. Hope it holds over the weekend. We are going to an outside wedding Sat night. One of my nieces son is getting married in their yard. Huge yard with a lake and a pool. This time I want to ride the pontoon boat. Should be a fun time and get to see all the family. My brother had 8 kids and they are all married and have kids. It is always a good time to catch up.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:58 AM   #11  
Fun Blonde

Slavika, you have just bitten the bullet before me. I will have a lot to lose too, and the main thing about getting to this point, is that I am just so miserable. I never look at my whole self in the mirror--too gross! But your weight gain is so understandable and I know you are a good WW'er. We all have to understand that if we eat just a few points too many we will not lose the weight. By the way, what is the magic date of 100 days?? I bet you enjoyed the puppies. They are so cute when they are playing, but a handful too. Karen, how would you have liked to have two Sprouts?

The hurricane has just wiped me out. I know that sounds stupid, but I can't watch it anymore like I used to. It is so emotionally draining. I know I am naive, but one of my main hurting points is the way people can hurt hurting people--looters, scam artists, etc. I like what Chris Rock said the other day--the ONLY thing we have that counts is family.

Life is good and life is sweet. We all just have to keep remembering that. Everyone have a good day.
Glenda
Old 09-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #12  
Member Florida Chick

Glenda: I'm with you. It has gotten so I just have a hard time watching all the sadness. But thank goodness there are still some 'sane' people that keep perspective and don't continually sensationalize all the time.

The prediction that was in the National Geographic a year ago certainly proved to be too true. How scary is that. Now the organizations in Tampa are starting to work at making changes in their evacuation plans, etc. learning from what happened in N.O. I think it was the national weather service that said Tampa was 2nd on their list after N.O. because of possible flood damage. Those water surges are so incredible.

Slavika: I am so happy to hear your good news. And that you have your reservations. You'll make the new bathing suits fit, I'm sure. I do like the flex points. It seems that I can have better control. Doing the Core, I am never just sure what being 'satisfied' means, and I find it is too easy to over eat.
I am finding the hardest to lose are the last few pounds. So we will just commiserate with each other. Bagel and C.C. sound like so much fun. All puppies and kittens are so cute. We are having fun with Smokey. She has quickly become the boss.

We are getting some rain from Ophelia, but I don't think she will have too much of an impact on the coast according to what we hear on the weather reports. My prayer is that every named storm that comes along just stays out in the Ocean. Ships can go around the storms. And planes can go above them.

Karen: I have never tried to paint a poinsettia, but I have made them with quilling paper. But of course, doing that, I don't have to worry about shading and all that sort of artistic stuff. It seems that I'm just not doing any of my crafts right now. I'll be the one who starts too close to Christmas to get stuff done. Sometimes I think I should be called the great procrastinator. :

I'm looking forward to some fall weather. But the swimming pool will get cooler. and I do like it when it is nice and warm. I suppose that the cooler the water is, the more calories one burns, just trying to keep the body warm. : Do you think that is true?

Made some salmon patties for supper tonight. Very low in points, so that is good. DH always wants to go out to dinner the night before weigh-in and I have tried to discourage that. There is too much sodium, and that can be bad for me.

So now we will have to be each others cheering team, and keep a good track of our progress.

Hi everyone. Have a great day. Ann
Old 09-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #13  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Glenda the day that DH had his stem cell transplant is considered Day Zero, then you start counting, day 1, day 2, day 3, etc. "Day 100 Evaluation", is when they will run all the tests they did prior to the stem cell transplant to see that his heart is still strong, liver, pulmonary functions, kidneys, working like they did before the chemo and the transplant, even the dentist will see him again. The BIGGIE is that he will have to have another bone marrow aspiration and biopsy done that will be sent to Mayo Clinic to see if he is truly in remission and that the stem cell transplant was the great success that we all think it was. These same tests will be repeated one year post transplant, and he will need to be immunized all over again at that time. Today is Day 21, so we have a way to go yet.
Ann I knew that Smokey would take over the household. What's that saying?.....dogs have masters, cats have "staff".
Peggy it sounds like you are going to have a great weekend. I hope the weather is just super.
DH and I stopped off to see our dil and the puppies and she said that yesterday she decided to take the two of them for a walk. hee hee .....well she walked them a couple of blocks and of course they were both too tired to walk home. She tried to sort of craddle a pup in each arm and that just wasn't working, so she craddled Bagel in her arms and put "CC" on top of bagel and walked home like that. I just laughed at that story, because she really did have "Bagel with Cream Cheese" on top. LOL LOL
Maria we will all support each other once again in our quest to get some weight off. DH and I went to Costco with Trudy and her DH. Trudy just looks great. She had on jeans with a cute little light blue shirt tucked into her jeans, showing off an actual waist. I don't know when I last had a waist. I wear a belt sometimes, to pretend I do. I better go into the kitchen now and try to whip up something that DH might find appetizing. I personally find everything appetizing.

Last edited by slavika; 09-08-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:43 AM   #14  

Hi Everyone,

I don't know about this. I just lost another long post here so I am trying again.

The wedding last night was so nice. The weather was perfect. There were illuminaria leading to the lake where the wedding was to take place. You were handed doily cups full of fresh rose petals to throw at the bride and groom. After the ceremony tables and chairs were set up around the pool area all under tents. White lights twinkling everywhere. Loved the appetizers of skewers of fresh fruit. They had food stations set up. One of appetizers, a pasta station and then one a local thing of cheese coneys. Hot dogs, Cincinnati chili and cheese. Salad was in chinese take out containers. Didn't have any wedding cake, instead I tried some of the other desserts. The music was nice and low key-at least it was till we left. My niece did a great job putting all this together.

Slavika loved the story about Bagel and CC being carried home. Too cute.

They are bringing some of the rescued dogs here to be adopted. I have to stay away cause I would want one. Their eyes looking at you on the news did me in.

Have a good day.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #15  
Web Nana

Good Afternoon!

It's been a busy week and today was no exception. A priest from our parish was transferred last June and made Pastor at a parish about 1 hour away, North. Today he was installed as Pastor and a number of our parishioners took buses to seem him officially take the roll of Pastor. We didn't go by bus but took our own car and after a beautiful service and luncheon we went to the Commissary on the way home. It made for a long day and then there was the putting away of all we bought. Not too much as we only spent $150. It seems that doesn't buy a heck of a lot these days.

Thursday we took off for the Cape as it was just a beautiful day and DH went for a swim. He said the water was warm but I don't go in after Labor Day. LOL

I am trying to get all our ducks in a row for our trip to Disney/Raleigh next November. I have maps and books from AAA but now am trying to have each day with only 6 hours of driving. DH does most of the driving but I will spell him on the easy parts.

Tomorrow is supposed to be another Summer-like day and we may go to the Cape for a last hurrah! DH has a friend in church who loves the water but because of a bad knee hasn't been in all year. We will take her with us for the day so she can say she did go swimming this year.

Slavika: Such good news about your DH! And to top it off you have your Maui reservations....that alone will make him well! Slavika you echo my sentiments exactly.....everything is appitizing!

Peggy: That wedding sounds like it was very pretty and the menu was ydummy!

Ann: I hope that all you get from Ophilia is just some rain. It looks like it is going further North.

Glenda: I don't know if any one of us could really be 'invisible'! We must all make ourselves 'standout' in every crowd.

Karen & Trudy I hope all is well with you both.

Gloria
Closed Thread