Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:50 PM   #31  

The Energizer Bunny energy continues! I spent 2.5 hours yesterday pulling weeds and sweeping on the back patio. It was hot--mid 80s--and I had to cycle indoors/outdoors time, but I had the entire day so I didn't mind. I drank NINE half-liter bottles of water yesterday, too--oi! Wanna guess what I spent the rest of my time doing?

I've got banana bread in the oven and I've taken things out of the freezer/cupboard to prepare for dinner tonight, as per my sheet on the fridge. I need to decide on a veggie for dinner, too, but as it's not even noon it's not that pressing! I'm making red beans&rice with grilled chicken/onion/garlic sausages (from Trader Joe's), and honestly haven't got a clue what veggie would go with that. I do know okra is out of the question!

I had breakfast with my parents yesterday, and had to really bite my tongue. My poor dad. He's trying, and obviously thinks he's making the 'right' choices. We were at IHOP, and he ordered a 'senior stack' of pancakes (2) and a side of ham. Obviously with pancakes comes syrup. He was acting like he was still hungry, but didn't want to eat any more. I felt so bad for him. As big as he is (between 325-250 pounds) he needs more food than that. I wanted to tell him to forgo pancakes and certainly syrup, that those would make his blood sugar spike and he'd be hungry in an hour, eat more protein and get some fruit maybe...but I couldn't. I ordered a veggie omelette made with eggbeaters and got sugarfree syrup with my pancakes. I ate half of my breakfast, and offered some [of the omelette] to him, but he was trying to make good choices and refused. I felt so bad. I have no credibility in this arena. Even though his dietician would tell him the same thing (that simple carbs spike the blood sugar and he needs to focus on protein with every meal with complex carbs) my saying it has no value because I am heavy right now--and what do I know? Now, NEITHER parent has ever commented on my weight or my education, but I still felt like I couldn't comment. The best I can do is make changes in myself, and let him see them and hope he 'listens'.

And I have to wonder why he chose pancakes with syrup anyway. He's been diabetic for 7 years, he has to know this by now. But that's a separate issue entirely.

Woohoo, Judy! I'm impressed. Lowest in 5 months is certainly an achievement. You seem to have the ball rolling now! We're getting down to the end of the year--is it September already?? I'm sure you'll do well, with things broken up into separate Challenges.

Last edited by mousie; 09-06-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles:

Nice job Judy & Mousie on your lossess! Keep up the good work. I had a nice long weekend but too many bad choices - once I got on a roll that was it. Have to face the scale tonight & I know I will be up but that is the price I will just have to pay.

Anyway, nice to see you posting & will check in soon. Bye for now.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #33  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
Bandit, good to hear from you. I hope the scale is kind to you. Glad to see you're posting. :clap:

Mousie, it's true about your folks. Your good example will show them more than your words. It does seem as though your Dad is confused about what to eat and thinks that less food will do the trick. Does he have a good doctor? I mean, a doctor can't just say lose weight. He needs to offer suggestions. I'm so glad you were able to do what was right for you. Your energy is awe inspiring. I think I'll get off the internet and onto my treadmill because I haven't squeezed it in yet today. You're doing so many good things. Keep it up!

I weigh in tomorrow and then my schedule gets back to normal with my dh working a few times a week. That always switches my mind around, but I'll deal with it. You all take care and keep on keepin' on.
Love,
Judy
Old 09-06-2005, 10:55 PM   #34  

Hi Bandit! I hope your scale was kind to you. It's not a price you're paying, it's a lesson you're learning, right?

Judy, good luck on your weigh-in tomorrow and let us know how it goes! I'm sure you'll hang on to your goals and plans when your DH's schedule changes. You've been doing so well with just working toward those goals that I think you'll maybe stumble a bit, but pick yourself right back up and keep going.

I'm about to hop on my treadmill while Celebrity Fit Club 2 reruns play. I've been walking for 10 minutes/doing abs for 5 minutes/treadmill/abs/treadmill/abs/etc for an hour, and this morning I thought I noticed that my good black trousers were fitting better. Is this wishful thinking? Best keep going and find out for sure!

Last edited by mousie; 09-06-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #35  

Hi ladies:

Well I was up 1# last night but felt good going to my meeting. Will focus for this week and try to be down a few more. Have to get in some excercise this week.

Hope you are all having a good day.

Bye for now.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit2
Hi ladies:

Well I was up 1# last night but felt good going to my meeting. Will focus for this week and try to be down a few more. Have to get in some excercise this week.

Hope you are all having a good day.

Bye for now.
Hey Bandit, that's not bad at all! I'm sure in a week you'll get it back off.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #37  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Bandit, I agree with Mousie. Up one pound is certainly something that is doable to fix!
Isn't it interesting how well we really do even when we think we're eating way off program? Good for you, and I like your determination for this week.

Mousie, your energy is amazing. How would you like to head out to my place and take care of sweeping my patio, cleaning my kitchen, etc.? I'd love to have some help

I had a great WI this morning. My pattern is to go to WW's on Wed. morning to WI and then I leave only to go back to my favorite mtg. later in the day. It works for me and I even wear the same clothes to WI each week. I lost 2.4# this week. This makes three weeks in a row of losing weight. It also marks a milestone for me. This is the lowest weight I've been in five months. I also finished my book and it's on to another book for me. I exercised a lot this week and only went out once to eat, so that helped me tremendously.

: to all. Let's keep on keepin' on.
Love,
Judy
234.6/213.4/thinner into onederland
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #38  

Woooooooooohoooooooooo Judy! I'd be dancing with a loss like that! Congrats in hitting Virgin Fat, your determination must be running so high right now. What's next? What's this Halloween goal I heard whispered about? Do you have goals for each holiday? Is there one for Guy Fawkes Day?

Last edited by mousie; 09-07-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #39  

Judy - way to go!!!! Wow that is awesome.

Tonight I made a "walking" date with a new fellow. He asked me to go for a drink & I suggested going for a walk then coffee. I think he was surprised but pleased at the same time. Anyway, that is what I am doing tonight. This man is very nice but no attraction on my part but certainly would be a good friend to have.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Bye for now.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #40  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Yes, I am sooooo pleased with this week's weight loss. I think I am going to exert my influence on dh to eat in rather than eating out because it works out much better for me! The exercise is also mind boggling! I have a treadmill at home, but we're not air conditioned, so I break into quite a sweat when I exercise. Is this more than you need to know? In any case, I'm thrilled and am working on keeping myself in balance.

Mousie, about the challenges: Over the years Lauren would set challenges for herself that would span a few months. She would decide what was a reasonable weight loss expectation, set a goal of walking, etc. and then procede to keep on track.
I joined in with her and have been semi successful here and there. All of a sudden lots of events are coming together for me and I realize that I can set a reasonable challenge and come through for myself. Swania (another lovely tutrtle who can't post right now) started a Labor Day challenge. Although I let most of the summer go by, I did act on that challenge in this last month and lost about 4 pounds. Now I am onto my Halloween challenge and all are welcome to join in. Here's how I am stating my goals to be met by Halloween:

1. Exercise 6 out of 7 days for about 1/2 hour +
2. Eat core foods and keep a running count of the flex points from my alloted 35 weekly points
3. Aim to be 207# or less by Halloween.
This is a reasonable expectation. Join in if this sounds like something that would be helpful or useful to you.

It is easier to set challenges by holidays--we're all conscious of the holiday dates, etc.
If you'd like a Guy Fawkes day, tell us more and let's set it up! Looking far ahead, I'll set up a challenge for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. This kind of stuff can be very helpful.

Bandit, I love that you are going out with a new fellow. Good for you! A walk and coffee sounds a lot better than a drink. Weigh to go. And I like that your idea sparked even more interest from you. Have a wonderful time.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #41  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
That last post was from me. Maybe it was to long for a quick reply because I couldn't sign off. Anyway----
Love,
Judy
234.6#/213.4/thinner into onederland
Old 09-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #42  

Interesting, Judy, on the goals/challenges. I tend to set goals for the week for myself, I'm a bit scared of looking too far ahead and overwhelming myself! But let's see...where's my calendar...

Halloween is about 7.5 weeks away. Jeeeeeez, is it that soon? Anyway! At the rate I lose, I should be able to be 7 pounds down by then. So that's my goal: to be at 280 by Halloween. To help me reach my goal, I will record my Points every day and do my walking programs every other day (I have a big paper wall calendar that I record that mileage on--with stickers!).

And speaking of, I need to get on my treadmill!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #43  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Mousie, keep on setting your weekly goals because that's what works for you. The Halloween Challenge gives you a chance to see what meeting your weekly goals accomplishes. You're doing great and I'm so glad you're back. Your enthusiasm is catching.
Love,
Judy
Old 09-09-2005, 11:49 AM   #44  

This morning was weigh in and I am down a pound! So I'm down 7.5 pounds in 6 weeks. That might be slow for some people, but I'm happy about it.

My goals for the week are to do my treadmill/abs routine every other day, focus on diabetic diet principles, and to have 35 points/day. I'll keep my eye on the Halloween goal, too.

This week I averaged 34.2 points/day, mainly because I was so excited last night I came in 10 points shy! I got an email from a literary agent I wrote a query letter to, and she wants to see pages from me! I'm so excited! I'm set up at Panera Bread this morning, to tighten my first chapter to get ready to send off. Ohhh, so exciting!

I'm not on crack, I'm just having a really good life right now.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #45  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Mousie, weigh to go! Double success in your literary effort and your weight loss. This is incredibly fabulous. Good luck with the literary agent. I'm pulling for you!
Love,
Judy
Closed Thread