Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 12:07 AM   #16  
Net browser

Default ...signs you might be Canadian

Hi All
Trudy and Lily were talking about our $1.00 coin the "loonie" and our $2.00 coin the "Toonie" and yesterday I received this little thing from a friend in the e-mail saying, "signs you might be Canadian". Here's just a couple of them.
Canadian's say, serviette not napkin
We say chocolate bars not candy bars.
We drink pop, not soda.
We drive on higways not freeways.
We sit on a chesterfield not a sofa,
We are not sure if the leader of our nation EVER had sex and don't want to know if he has.
Lastly, we know that, Mounties don't always look like that. LOL

Night all.
Old 06-01-2001, 08:41 AM   #17  

Good Morning all, Trading nuts for medical services? Sounds fair to me. But I am glad that you had it removed. Toonies and Loonies? I didn't realize that you had $1 and $2 coins. It has been a long time since we have been to Canada. I can imagine that they do get heavy. Trudy your purse sounds like my friends. She has her whole life and then some in there. Doesn't your arm or shoulder get sore from carrying all that stuff around? We are leaving June 14th and will be gone for a week. Here is where we will be. http://www.southernshores.com/map/duck.html then click on #352. It is a little pricey. They decided to divide it evenly 22 ways. I hope that is warmer there than it is here. It has been in the 60's. The paper this morning said to blame it on Canada. You all are sharing and sending it this way. With all the rain everything is really green. I like your things a Canadian says. I say highway and pop and am disappointed that Mounties don't always look like that. Maria what could be than to go shopping to celebrate. You deserve it. There was an article about Lucent in yesterday's paper. Hope that all goes well. Ann your dog sounds darling. Cute name. That's all for now, Peggy
Old 06-01-2001, 10:44 AM   #18  
Member Florida Chick

Default Good Morning

Thought we were actually goin to have rain yesterday but it went all around us. Guess we are going to have to start rain dances.
Cuddles is 10lbs, a cockapoo, and her name suits her. She likes to be on your lap, and snuggle. She is a great friend, soon to be 11 years old.

Trudy-Slaviak: How long have you had the toonies? When we were still living up north, we used to get to Canada a lot, and I remember the loonies, but not the toonies.I just remember the 2 dollar bills with the unusual color and bird on it. Was it a robin?
Hope you saved the parsely. I had a sore shoulder, with the big bag full of my life, and had to change to something smaller. And I still can't find stuff. It always seems what I want is at the bottom. I have a simialr haircut also, but not blonde, I'm a brunette with a lot of grey streaks.If it ever gets all grey I'll go 'a la naturel'. Glad you got the 'thingame' taken care of,and painlessly too. Not a bad deal for nuts.

Peggy: Divided 22 ways makes for an economical way to take advantage of a special place. I'm glad you said there are a lot of bathrooms. I'm sure you will have a great time. It is bound to be warmer.

Maria: We'll be waiting to hear about all the money you saved your DH today. I do like to shop and save money.

Glenda: How are you doing with your major project? By now I imagine you have gone past the worst. Keep up the good work.

Lily: You are right we are going right up the East Coast. We won't be near the water most of the time, but we know it is there. I love Willimasburg, Virginia. It is such a neat town, and Colonial Williamsburg is a wondedrful place to visit. The early seat of our government. It is all like the way it was, with gardens and taverns and horses, etc. The guides are all dressed in period clothes. The Governors mansion is just an outstanding home.I'm glad my DD & SIL live there. That is where the graduation is.And then there is the Jamestown Colony, another historical site. Can you tell I like history, of our country and other as well.

Slavika: I suggest you get started on Left Behind. It is a good book, and the rest in the series are just as exciting.

Hi Karen, Geri.'See' you later. Ann
Old 06-01-2001, 11:51 AM   #19  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: Love those sayings! Very cute. Specially the 2nd to last one

Peggy: Wow! Very nice! You are gonna have a really good time! Looks like it will be really relaxing to!

Ann: My DH was born in Virgina. We went back there about 5 years ago and spent time in Willimasburg. It was a great place. And I remember the period clothes to. The Graduation there will be very nice!
Old 06-01-2001, 04:47 PM   #20  
Super Surfer

Default ..Fridays are a lot of work....

I have decided that I hate housework! I am working my fingers to the bone today, trying to keep the Health Inspector from closing us down.
Ann.. I start out with my purse neatly strung over my shoulder.. that lasts about 1 min and then I tuck it under my arm. Looks awful, but I can't part with a single thing in it.
I think we have had the $2.00 coin - The Toonie - for about 8 years now. Am I right Slavika? Your memory is better than mine.
Peggy..Your vacation spot looks wonderful. Good thing you are dividing the cost 22 ways. You will also have a PC and Internet connection, now that is important..

Lily ... the Loonie is gold, the Toonie is silver with a gold center, the quarters are now smaller and I get them confused with the nickles. .. don't even get me started.
Slavika .. Canadians sound like such a dull bunch. I used to date a Mountie, waaay back when.. he actually did look like that.

Come to think about it, USA bills are no treat either, since it is all one color it all looks the same, we have to be carefull what denomination it is. NOW we have technicolor bills. Wait until you get a load of our new $10.00 bills. I have no idea what the Treasury was thinking when they made those.

We are going to see Michelle Wright perform tonight. She is a Country/Western singer. The show should be good.

Back to the mop and pail.... .. got more to do.
Old 06-01-2001, 11:56 PM   #21  
Net browser

Default ..strange weather again today

Hi Everybody
Trudy I looked in DH toonie holders (he has a few) and they are all 1996, so I'm thinking that's when we got them. My memory is bad too, so had to check.
I e-mailed Lily a "copy" of our new $10.00. I found it in the Canadian Currency on the net, under "what's new". Well the $10.00 bill is sure new. If I could have thought of a way to post it on our board I would have, but I didn't know how to make it smaller.
I'm like Trudy when I am in the States I really have to watch with the US currency because the bills all have the same color and ours, each denomination is a different color.
Peggy #352 sure looks like a dream. What a glorious spot to spend a holiday, and what a great idea all of you getting together.
Glenda hi there, how are you making out? Is the non-smoking getting any easier?
Ann the parsley survived and is doing well. I am looking forward to reading the Left Behind book, maybe I'll make a start on it this weekend.
Maria what did you do to keep busy, now that your web site is up and running so well?
Night all.
Old 06-02-2001, 01:10 AM   #22  

Default boy do I feel out of the loop.....

Just spent the last hour reading and catching up with all of you. It too an hour with all the detours I took along the way Maria your web page is trulyfantasmagorical Just took a quick look around but was so impressed. You do have nice looking family and by the way my hair is almost the same a everyone else's(is that a word?) Sorry to hear about you FIL.

Peggy The vacation house looks wonderful. What a great thing to be doing. I'm sure the weather will be much warmer. I sure wish it would warm up around here. I'm tired of long sleeves and sweatshirts.

Slavia I also drink pop and drive on highways. Glad your little plant survived. I too have been supplying my Granddaughter with Harry Potter books. Haven't read any of them . But she is the one asking for them so must be a kid thing. Glad you got the thingme taken off and nuts for service a good thing.

Trudy I have a thing for purses. I may have a million of them all hidden from DH because some of my bargains are not such a bargain if you know what I mean Some are big and some are small. I like the organizer kind with all the zippers and pockets. Mine too usually wind up under my arm.

Ann your trip sound great. Sure is nice to have all those spare beds around and available with that long of a trip. Williamsburg sound like a place I would like to go. Gonna have to check that out.

Got to go to bed

Karen
Old 06-02-2001, 06:10 AM   #23  

G'day all,

It is saturday evening and we have spend the day going to the botanical gardens, the zoo and attended a game of football. I will definetly sleep well tonight!
Trudy you are right a jumper is, in your neck of the woods, a sweater . what you describe as a jumper we would call a tunic. Loved your star avatar.

Lily 103 that is very hot, yesterday June 1 is the start of winter for us. Not far from Melbourne is the Australian Alpine region where there is snow ski-ing. DH has never seen snow so we intend to go for a bit of drive and at least touch the stuff!!!

Slavika Australians use serviettes, eat chocolate bars (not me of course ) but we don't drink pop or soda, we do have a soft drink, we sit on a couch and our leader has had sex (3 children) but that was it! We heard that President Clinton's popularity increased at the time of the Monica Lewinsky saga, it was suggested (in jest) to our leader to find a 'Monica' to boost his popularity , but he didn't think it was funny at all and his wife was quite offended.

Peggy Isn't it great that we can see where you will be staying. It looks superb but I agree, a little pricey but what the heck, enjoy!

Karen thank you for your kind words about my webpage. Isn't it amazing how we all have similar hairdo's. lol
When in time to come we have a get together, be it in Australia, America or Canada it should be easy to recognise each other

Just received a phone call from partner of son, son is in hospital He plays Australian rules football, which is quite rough but he loves it. Thank goodness it is not too serious, he has discolated his finger and they are unable to get it back into place and will require now to operate. He was going to play golf with dh when he got here, guess he won't be able to do that now.

It is a bit doom and gloom here, telephone co. OneTel has gone in receivership leaving many of their workers without a job. Lucent Technologies is owed $Aus400 million, it won't effect us directly but everyone is a bit down about it all. Two weeks ago a large insurance company went in receivership, many people have been effected and have lost a lot of money. The government has now stepped in and is applying a tax so it can assist those worse effected. The directors have everything in their wife's name and so continue to live in their mansions. The directors of One-Tel paid themselves a $AUS7 million bonus but 6 months ago and now there is no money to pay the workers their entitlements.
It really makes me angry.
By the way I have lost another .8kg. The losses are slowing down but I am still loosing which is the main thing.
I have rambled on long enough and will say goodnight all
Cheers
Maria
Old 06-02-2001, 01:14 PM   #24  

It's still raining. This is getting real old. We went yard saleing in the rain. What we won't do to get a bargain. Maria I hope your son's finger is all right. What a shame that he has to have surgery. Keep those losses going down and soon you will be with Lily. If you want Monica I am sure we can arrange something. Karen and Trudy I like purses too. I keep getting those little ones but my wallet never fits in them so I go back to using my Sak. I like the idea of colored money. Would make it less confusing sometimes. Our new off centered bills are strange looking. I keep thinking that I have conterfeit[?] money. Whenever you pass a $20 they always get their little marker out and test it. I want a loonie and a toonie. Told my dh we have to go to Windsor and get some. He thought I was looney. Ann have a nice trip. I have never been to Williamsburg either. Would like to go there and to the Biltmore Estate. Someday. Have a good weekend, Peggy
Old 06-02-2001, 01:45 PM   #25  
Life Time 2001

Default Im Rich!

Trudy: Who doesnt hate housework? I know I do! The quarters are smaller? Cuz I have a quarter and a 5 cents now and they are close to the same size. These have a date of 1998. Dont have a Loonie or a Toonie tho
How was the concert?

Slavika: See below it is attached. I have a $20 bill still. Did that change? Mine is just all green. I want the colorfull one! Much prettier! Guess I need to come back to canada.

Karen: Dont feel out of the loop! Had to laugh about your purses. I know what you mean about not finding the real bargin!

Maria: Sorry to hear about your Son. But at least it wasnt serious! And he is still coming to visit. Thats the important thing. Good for you on the loss! It all helps!

Peggy: LOL! If you go get a Loonie and Toonie get me one! HAd to laugh about Monica to. We certainly could send her. Im sure she would go!

Heres the 10$ Very pretty! I think we should do something like this. Be easier to tell what you have.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:38 PM   #26  
Member Florida Chick

Default Some more Florida sunshine

We did have rain yesterday nearly all day. Send us some more.

Peggy: finally got to take a peek at your 'posh' vacation spot. Thought I wasn't going to be able to, because it said one needed Java, which webtv doesn't support, but I just kept clicking and 'voila' there it was. And you do surely have enough bathrooms. I love the pool. I go for the pools, no critters in them. No undertow in them. I do like the beach and to get sand between my toes, and that is about it. Just a wimp at heart.

Slavika-Trudy- and rhubarb lovers. Here is the Rhubarb Cake recipe.It is old but good. As near as I can determine if you cut it into 16 peices it should be 4pts per piece. Karen can tell if I have figured it correctly.

Cream together 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup shortening and 1 egg
stir in 1 cup sour milk, 1 tsp soda 2 cups flour 1 tsp vanilla.
Mix in 3 cups raw rhubarb
Pur into greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degress for 40 -45 minutes.
After baking for 5 to 10 min.sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar & cinnamon to taste on the tope and return to oven to finish baking.
It is good on its' own or with whipped toppin or ice cream.

We left the north country in 1996, so that is probably why I don't remember the 'toonies'.

Maria: Sorry to hear of your sons' mishap.Isn't is strange ow such a small part of ones body like finger or toe, can make one hurt all over.? But at least he can come to visit you. Is Australian foot ball like our Soccer? Our football is plenty rough. Many players get injuries which last for life. Keep up the good work with weight loss. I' m still over my goal, and it gets discouraging. I need a pep talk from you all.Especially as we'll be traveling and I have to be really careful. Maybe one saving grace will be that it won't be so easy to grab an inbetween meal 'bad' snack.

So far I haven't heard anyone say that they like housecleaning. One more thing we have in common. Also, am I the only brunette with the similar haircut?

Hi Geri, Glenda and Karen. Will check back later for more news. Ann
Old 06-02-2001, 04:30 PM   #27  
Net browser

Default ....boy Lily is smart

Hi Everybody

Lily you sure are one smart cookie. I didn't know how to make the $10.00 bill small enough to post it on our board but you did. WTG.

So gals, what do you think, do you like the new Canadian $10.00 bill???

I thought it would be fun if we hauled our purses to our computer desks and listed on the board everything we each had it them. Then I thought about my purse.....and decided I would probably use up the space of 30 posts. Not a good idea.
What is it with women and their purses. I have things in there that "MAYBE" once in a lifetime I or someone with me would need. Example: a tiny scewdriver to fix eyeglasses. A complete pharmacy, in case......of diarrhea, constipation, Gravol, an anti-nauseant, Claritin, for allergies, Imitrex for migrraine headaches, Tylenol for whatever, bandaids for boo-boo's. Well you get the picture. ALAS my shoulder bag is soooo heavy that my left shoulder is approx. 14" lower then my right shoulder. Ok, I tend to get carried away when I tell a story, maybe not 14".
Ann thanks for giving us the Rhubarb Cake recipe. I'm having my brother and his wife over for din dins tomorrow night, maybe I should make the cake for dessert if I can get that much rhubarb from garden (I have to wait for it to grow some more).
Peggy when we were in Maui this year I went into Longs Drugstore (Lily you know it) and gave the gal a $20.00 bill and she examined it carefully and marked it with a green felt. She told me they have to watch for counterfeit bills. I don't know what the green felt marker was for. Maria Sorry to hear about your son's injury. Maybe depending what finger it is he will still be able to play golf. That's sad about people losing their jobs too. YIKES. Karen I have a ton of purses too. For sure I buy every purse I see that is made of denim. My DIL bought me a lovely Derek Alexander leather shoulder bag dyed a denim color and I love it, but even empty the bag has WEIGHT. I will use it again this winter tho. I went to a couple of garage sales today too, and bought a couple of "toy type things" for the grandbabies. Trudy I bought myself a ring at a garage sale. The gal who had the sale said it was her MIL's and that she bought it off the Home Shopping Channel. She said when it arrived it was so HUGE she wouldn't wear it so it was in the garage sale for $6.00. Her MIL paid $45.00. One of the gals from our WW was there and she said, geez you could wear it, looks good. I told her you needed a "REAL" attitude to wear a ring like that~~~~~~~
Went to Costco and bought those wonderful bagels and some Strawberry Lite Cream Cheese and had one for lunch. Boy it was good. Worth the 6 points.
I'll come back later. bye now.
Old 06-02-2001, 10:00 PM   #28  
Life Time 2001

Ann: Recipe looks good! I put it into Master Cook and came up with 4.5 points. At 16 servings.

Slavika: I like the new bill. I think its great! Very colorful. My purse has everything to. I have a tiny screwdriver in mine to for glasses and a tiny Swiss army knife that has scissors. Comes in handy sometimes. Dh is always making fun of what is in it and telling me its weighing me down. Its the truth to, as sometimes my back hurts from carring it a long time. Forgot it always has a bottle of water in it to. Thats what weighs it down.

Off to watch a movie. Have a great night all!
Old 06-02-2001, 11:14 PM   #29  
Super Surfer

Default .. a good concert..

We really enjoyed Michelle Wright last night. She looked teriffic and sang every song she has made famous in the last 15 yrs. "He Is Just 16", "One Good Man", "Take It Like A Man", "Safe In The Arms Of Love" .. just to name a few.
Maria.. So hard to imagine June being the fall.. and your DH not knowing what snow is like... I think that I heard your winters are not really cold, just a lot of rain... is that correct? Sorry to hear about your son injury, but so pleased to hear about your losing more weight. WTG
Peggy.. that rain can really get on the nerves... I think rainy, cloudy, dreary days are hard on everyone. I need sunshine, don't care if it is cool, just give me sun.
Lily.. the $20.00 are still all green.. some people like to call our currency "Monopoly Money" .. kind of true. Had to at the Swiss Army Knife and the bottle of water... hadn't thought of carrying that around yet.
Ann.. that recipe looks tasty. I have some rhubarb .. thanks to Slavika and will make the cake.
Slavika.. my DH only has his wallet, a comb, and a hanky in his pockets, he doesn't like to carry change or the Toonie/Loonies, because they are too heavy... I get to carry everything else.. My handbags are shaped so nice when I buy them, after I fill them up they resemble a football with a shoulder strap.
.. Another ring.. like you really needed another ring..

I have been really lazy today... just lolling around doing nothing.. and being really tired doing it

Goodnight all...
Old 06-04-2001, 08:29 AM   #30  
Net browser

Default ...nice new toys for us

Hi Everybody

Please go to new Thread #121

See you there.
Closed Thread