View Poll Results: For a girl should it be Jamie OR Jaime (spelling)?
Jamie 11 50.00%
Jaime 7 31.82%
voting simply to see the results 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 08:54 AM   #1  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Question

Dh and I have decided *if* *when* I get pg we would like to call our baby girl Jamie, or Jaime. How should we spell it?? Thanks for your vote
Old 05-28-2001, 11:40 AM   #2  
flibbertobbergenie!

Angie - don't know if it makes any difference, but Jaime is a boy's name in Spanish ...

Lolly
xxx
Old 05-28-2001, 02:56 PM   #3  

thanks lolly,

its both a boys and girls name here. We are just not sure on the spelling. wish there were more people who voted
Old 05-28-2001, 04:59 PM   #4  

I think what Lolly meant (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Jaime is the Spanish spelling for the male name pronounced 'Hi-may' or 'Hi-me' and is not traditionally used in English.
My understanding is that Jamie is the correct spelling for the English name, male or female. If you put the 'i' before the 'm', it's not the same name or pronounciation.
My gues is that it was originally the dimunitive form of James and like some dimunitive forms, tacked the 'ie' on the end, ie. 'Donnie,' 'Robbie.' I knew a girl who spelled it Jamey, also. It's a lovely name.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:23 AM   #5  

Thanks Slinko

I miss understood. Jamey is a really nice way of spelling it. Never heard of that before. Great now I have another to choose from

(hugs)

Angie
Old 05-29-2001, 09:47 AM   #6  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Angie, I know a girl named Jayme... I like that spelling!!!

Jen
Old 05-29-2001, 03:44 PM   #7  

Oooh! I like how Jen spelled it. Jayme, looks like a girl spelling, and it is a little different!!

What is everyone else's children's names??

I love to hear people's names....

Mine are:

Nicholas Riley

Hayley Elaine

Old 05-29-2001, 04:29 PM   #8  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

Just one child so far... Emma Judith. If/when we have a boy he will be named Thomas Paul!
Old 05-29-2001, 04:41 PM   #9  

hmmm I really like that spelling too Jayme. I will have to bring this up to dh.

If we have a boy it is going to be Aaron Dale

I also like Ethan....but dh hates it so I guess we won't be usuing that one.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:52 AM   #10  

hey!

your son could be ethan allen!

sorry....procrastinating from studying.

i like jamie better than jaime. i've read that more conventional spelled names make a better first impression than alternative spellings....apparently, people take the traditionally spelled people more seriously and think that they will be better workers and stuff like that. i think it was from 20/20 or some similar type of show a few years back.

andrea
Old 05-30-2001, 03:24 PM   #11  

I remember that show.
I have a friend whose parents were pretty 'creative' with their kids' names. They picked relatively standard names and altered the spelling. 'Jasmine' became 'Jazmihn' and 'Jessica' became 'Gesaka.' Needless to say this caused them great grief and they both had their names legally changed. It's especially amusing because their parents changed their names thirty years earlier from Vivian and Peter to Vashti and Omar. I know, it's bizarre. I really like their parents, they aren't hippies at all but quiet, smart, super nice people. There's also a brother named 'Jade' but he kept his name intact. I don't think you have to worry too much about Jayme, but there is a naming trend towards short, old-fashioned names for girls: Emma, Stella, Ruby, Lily, Rose, Grace, etc. By the time little Jayme gets to school, I'm sure a little deviation from the norm will be refreshing.
In my youth (age ten until about three years ago), I used to pick out names for my future children that combined names I liked with the names of my friends, characters in books and my relatives. I showed my Mom, who noticed that they all had my own last name and she pointed out that perhaps the Father of the children would like to have some say in their naming. I was aghast at the possibility that my precious, painstakingly selected names could be ruined by the cavalier predilections of some imbecile who knew nothing about the subtleties of naming children but would suggest stupid names like those of their Fraternity brothers, things like 'Deke' and 'Butch' and 'Chug-a-lug.' My sage Mother delicately hinted that perhaps by the time I was ready for children, it would behoove me greatly to deal with my control issues. Hopefully I wouldn't be having children with a moron and I would need to let go of any notion that simply by giving them a nice name, my children would be perfect. If I could not agree to those standards, I should probably just have cats. As it is, I'm not home enough to have a fish, so baby-time is a long way off. And I might let their father help name them but I have final veto. The end.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:22 PM   #12  
Believe it & Achieve it

Slinko~ROFLMAO!!!!! That sounded just like me when I was in high school course I did win with the girls name and my daughter is Olivia Rose. My sons name is Bradley Donavan, Dh picked out his first name which was fine with me cause I had no clue what to name a boy. I had heard of Donavan and DH liked it and the two just went together.........

Angie: I love different spellings but not to off course cause then is seems overdone in an effort to be different. I voted for Jaime, but I LOVE the Jayme version so much better. Just my .02 cents.
Old 06-01-2001, 01:31 PM   #13  

Default Thanks you all so much!

Thanks for taking the time to take the poll. I do LOVE the spelling Jayme.....but dh doesn't like it at all. Any ideas of how to convince him? (other then filling out all the paper work on the birth certificate myself of course )

The other name I really like that dh doesn't is Sydney. He says it reminds him of Australia. Ugh, he needs to get creative.

Again, thanks to all,

Angie
Old 06-06-2001, 12:12 PM   #14  
WW Jazz Diva! LOL

I voted Jamie, becuase Jaime always reminds me of Haimy, which reminds me of Hiney, which reminds me of bum, and yes I am 12 years old. LOL

As far as unconventional spellings go, my name is pronounced Tonya or Tawnya and my mom spelled it Taunia. I actually really love the spelling and although I get a lot of mispronounciations, I really love the fact that it's unique. Of course, it's also a great stage name.........and my mom must have had an inkling that I would be a jazz musician.

Since everyone else has stated their favorites, I thought I'd just drop mine out there too. I don't have kids yet (DOH! almost 30) but when I do, here are the ones I like:

Lucy
Lillian (after my grandmother)
Jacob
Justin

I'm sure whatever you name your child it will be beautiful and loved!

Cheers,
Taunia
Old 06-06-2001, 04:51 PM   #15  
A Yankee in Virginia

Isn't it funny how girls have their baby names picked out for eons? I think I've kept a running list since I was 12 or so! It changes every so often. Not that I'm pregnant or even married, but at the top of my list now are Margaret Elizabeth (Maggie for short. The names would be after mine and my boyfriend-hopefully-one-day-husband's grandmothers.) The other girl's name I really like is Bridget — which I liked before I ever heard of Bridget Jones' diary! I had a soccer coach named Bridget years ago! For boys, I like the names Sam and Jacob.
Closed Thread