Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 06:23 PM   #16  

Morning, girls! Welcome to Wednesday!

Rebecca - WAY TO GO! I love, love, LOVE baggy pants stories! I do believe that you need to go to the store and buy smaller jeans! We wouldn't want you to lose your britches! (think Janet could tell you about that, as I recall!) You are doing just fantastic - keep it up!

Carol - Yes, you probably should have stayed home at least another day if your crud is anything like what was going on around here. My dd missed 4 days of work when she had it. But we all do what we have to do. Glad your back is a bit better, too. Hopefully, you will be back up to snuff soon - want you feeling A-OK by March 2!

Jan, how far a drive is it to Laredo from your place? I have my fingers crossed that we can have some wonderfully warm weather next week-end, but I haven't heard any long range forecasts. And even if I had, I certainly wouldn't believe them. Our weather guy has been more wrong than right this year.

Liz - Welcome back! We missed you. I don't know how you and Janet manage to stay on track when you have to eat out so much (like when giving workshops). That is so hard for me. All I have to do is smell that wonderful stuff and my resolve just melts into a puddle! Just pull yourself back up onto program and go on from this moment. That's what we all do - moment to moment, day to day.

Janet - Gee, I don't think you are likely to experience Carol's version of a "sign" so I guess you better just get on that plane and get here ASAP. It can't be a very long flight from there to here - couple hours at the most? Heck, you will hardly get up before its time to come down. So don't be http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//nervous.gif, OK? You will do just fine.

Time for me to scoot. Fog wasn't terribly bad yesterday and once I got into town it was just about gone. I love the fact that the days are getting longer now! It is really just about dawn now when I leave home - which means I drive to work in some light now. I just hate it when its dark when I leave home in the mornings, dark during the commute, and dark when I leave to come back home! Yuck! This is definitely a sign that spring is not TOO far away.

Hi to Joyce, Nancy(s), Saara and any lurkers hanging around! Crystal, Kendra, Lynne, Kermit - what happened to you girls? We miss you.

Old 02-22-2001, 04:31 AM   #17  

Carol, glad your fever's gone; are you feeling any better today? Are you getting enough rest?

Liz, I planted marigolds, dianthus, lavender, and caladium bulbs, took out some of the winter veggies and planted tomatoes, yellow squash, and strawberries. It's usually ok to plant by this date, tho' we sometimes have late frosts; will keep fingers crossed. Found some info for your region at: http://gardening.about.com/homegarde...idatlantic.htm if you want to look up spring planting dates. Gardening is a good way to keep out of the kitchen, for me; and it's hard to snack when your hands are muddy!

Texaslady, it's about 3 hours to Laredo, on a really good road. And you're right, the weather is so unpredictable here; so far, though, it's looking great!

Have been giving another workshop all day today, so I'm looking forward to getting the last of the plants in the ground this afternoon. Guess I'd better get going! Everyone have a good Wed. evening...
Jan
Old 02-22-2001, 03:34 PM   #18  

Good morning! I hope everyone is having a good, op week!
We're due for some snow later today- not a lot, just 2-3 inches, but enough to make a disaster out of tonight's and possible tomorrow's rush hour. This area does NOT deal with snow well- being from Pennsylvania I find it almost funny- until I have to get out on the roads with these people!
I met a friend for dinner at the Red Lobster last night. Boy, what a change from the last time we were there a couple months ago! The menu was downsized considerable (no steamed shrimp of any kind, for example, and the potato was the smallest I'd ever seen and was barely warm, as were the veggies. I got broiled salmon ( the only thing I could get that wasn't either in a casserole with heavy sauce, fried or $25(lobster). The fish was good, but the rest was disappointing. Even the cheese biscuits were undercooked. I wonder if the place is having financial problems? You wouldn't know it by the parking lot evry day!
Liz, how did the day go for you? Were you able to stay on track? You can do it- we're all pulling for you!!
Texaslady, how nice that you are seeing some signs of spring! I just can't wait! Our trees are starting to bud, which is a good sign (except for those allergic to them!) . I hope today's bitter cold and winds with the snow don't damage them. Yup- you and I have to keep Janet's mindset on moving toward that airport!! Actually, encouraging her helps me too- I'm not a whole lot more thrilled with flying than she is! I'm lad I got my "crud" now and not next week!!! I should be all healed by flight day!
Jan, thanks for the kind thoughts. Had I been able to take a couple more days off it would have been better, but i really couldn't. I am pretty much going to bed shortly after I get home so I can get plenty of rest- the old body isn't giving me much of a choice! Your planting sounds wonderful- and I liked the idea about not being able to snack with your hands muddy!! I always plant myself some pots and flower boxes for my patio, but it's still way too early for that here.
Janet, you just HAVE to tell the group your open sunroof story!!!!!
Saara, Joyce,Rebecca,both Nancys and anyone I may have missed, I hope you all are doing well.
Gotta run- work calls. Have a good day, everyone!
Carol
Old 02-22-2001, 06:26 PM   #19  

Can't stay. Its late and I'm late too! Hit the snooze button too many times!

Just wanted to say good morning everyone and that I will check in again later if I can. Carol, glad you are on the mend, so to speak. Janet - what open sunroof story?????

Gotta go.
Old 02-22-2001, 06:58 PM   #20  

One Day one program! I am so excited. Yesterday was hard, but I did it. Kept on thinking about you all supporting me and I made it through the day (and evening)Now for the next day......

Janet Mae, thanks for the link. I checked it out briefly and there is some real good information there. The only disappointment is that it looks like I really need to wait until the end of March, beginning of April to really start things rolling. But it suggests some indoors thiings to prep with so I will start to make my lists. I love lists. Must have a million of them.

Rymsh, IMHO Red Lobster is overpriced and the quality of the fish is not all that good. Legal's seafood (do you have any of them?) is also overpriced but the quality and selection is much better. In Boston, I was used to having a seafood restaurant every half a block, but here in NJ have not been able to find one I like (actuall have not been able to find one at all)

TexasLady-My company is sending me to your neck of the woods for a 3 day seminar. It is going to be held in Dalla/Fort worth at the airport hotel. Probably will never get to leave the hotel (they ususally keep us realy busy) but I am looking forward to brathing that "Texas Air"

And what is the "open sunroof story"?

Here's to everyone's day. Hope it goes well.
Old 02-22-2001, 11:23 PM   #21  

Hi Everyone,

I’m back. The weekend was a lot of fun – but it sure is hard to eat on program at a hockey game.

NJNancy – thanks for the tips on what to eat in Phili. I’ve started to make a list and then will try to figure out how to fit it into the program. Hopefully I’ll do enough sight seeing and will walk everything off.

After catching up on all the new posts I think there must be something in the air – All Over The World! I am having the same motivation problems. I start out the day ok and then something just takes over and I can’t seem to control myself. I know that I am getting to that “time of the month” so I have started to take Pamprim to see if that will help control the urges. I have gained 1.5 pounds since the first of the year and it is feeling like 40. Hopefully I can get back on track real soon.

I am going to the grocery store to pick up some of my old standbys and then will spend the evening cutting and dicing and cooking so I can have some good food in the house.

Carol – how is your back doing? Whenever I hear of people with back problems I just shudder and then go into my preaching about taking care of it right away. If one Dr. doesn’t take it serious – go find another. I think if I had been a little more forceful when I first started having problems I would have been able to take care of it with therapy instead of having to resort to surgery. Keep on those Dr’s and treat your back right. Are you over the crud yet? The people in my office have really been hit hard. I am still keeping it at bay – but since I haven’t had much down time over the last week I think my resistance is going down. After the chop session tonight I am going to wrap up in an afghan and just veg out.

Texaslady – Is your weather getting any better? It seems that you have been having a lot of fog lately. I don’t envy you having to drive in fog. We had –3 temps this morning and now it is snowing like crazy. I can’t wait for warmer weather. We need to have a major thaw.

Justliz – Congrats on being on program! Just string those days together and see how great you feel.

Carol – I have been longing for Red Lobster – but after your report I think I will stay away.

Hi to everyone else. Hopefully I can catch up on what’s going on now that I will be home for a while.

Nancy in TC
Old 02-23-2001, 01:45 AM   #22  
50+ pound loser

Hey everybody!

I had weigh in yesterday and lost .9! Pretty soon I will be at my 10%. Feels like I have been doing this forever and not going very far, but I must look at the bigger picture right? That's what I keep hearing from my family, but they aren't the ones fighting this battle. Oh well, dig in my heels and give it my best shot.

Jan- Planting flowers already? Oooh, I am so jealous. Pretty soon you will be able to see all that hard work with beautiful flowers! And I will still be waiting for the snow to melt.

I think I am suffering from the winter blues. Yep, I am. Yesterday at our meeting some of us were talking about how we feel more energetic, etc. when winter is over. Right now it seems like we are all in "polar bear" mode, eating to keep our layer of winter warmth! But soon, soon, soon, the blues will go away and spring will be here. Maybe thats why I don't feel the motivation, I feel like doing nothing. Think so?

But, I better get a move on. Maybe I can get some of the things done on my "to-do" list. I do my stuff (exercise, computer stuff) and then I get lazy and don't wanna do the rest.

Rebecca

[This message has been edited by xstitchingal (edited 02-22-2001).]
Old 02-23-2001, 02:28 AM   #23  

Rebecca,

I'm with you on the winter blah's and eating to keep my layers of fat like a polar bear. Maybe spring will be right around the corner and we can come out of hibernation!!!

Nancy in TC
Old 02-23-2001, 05:41 AM   #24  

Hello from snowy So. Maryland! Boy, what a mess we've had in this area today since our snow started about 11 this morning! In Virginia just south of DC there was a 116- yup, 116-car pile up! This happened shortly after the snow started- apparently the temperature was such that when the stuff started falling, route 95 became an ice rink. One person was killed, I heard- mostly fender bender stuff otherwise though.The road's still closed- and probably will be for another 8 hours! Then not too far from there they had a 35 car pile up. The county I work in has had over 200 accidents this afternoon. We've only had about 4 inches, and it's now about done, but it sure has been something else! We closed and went home at noon. The roads were slick but ok if you just took your time. I got home ok, but passed several accidents- most involving idiots in 4wd vehicles who decided that 4 wheel drive means you can go 60 mph on ice! Like I said, this is not a good snow area! Tomorrow is my morning in Virginia- we'll see what goes, I guess! I'm not exactly looking forward to it.
Well, I've certainly told y'all more than you ever wanted to know about that!!!
Texaslady, don't you just hate to oversleep? It just throws the whole day off, it seems!!! How was the rest of your day?
Liz, good for you!! One day op is a victory worth celebrating any time!!!
Nancy in TC, my back's doing much better, thanks. Being flat on my back for 3 days with the flu or crud last weekend seemed to help my back, if nothing else! I have my first PT tomorrow- seems sort of a moot point right now since I'm sort of back to baseline again and I know and do my back exercises regularly anyhow, but I guess I'll go and get the heat/ultrsound/traction treatments he suggested. But she gets only one shot at me- if she gets over aggressive and makes me worse, that's the end of it. I've been there before. We nurses are stubborn people and very opinionated about what's inflicted on our bodies!!!! http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//lol.gif
Rebecca, congratulations on the -.9, and on nearing the 10% mark!!! I think you have a good point about the winter blahs being related to the motivational problems we all seem to be sharing lately. It makes sense. Seasonal Affective Disorder causes depression, and most of us with weight issues tend to eat when depressed. Bring on spring so we can get out and move!!!

Well, I'd better finish my laundry and other chores while I'm in the mood. Have a great evening, everyone. Talk to you tomorrow.
Carol
Old 02-23-2001, 06:24 PM   #25  

Morning, ladies! TGIF Day! Yea!

Carol - I saw all that snow on the news last night - or at least I saw what D.C. got and I know you are not far from there. I guess you left extra early this a.m. to make it to Virginia. You be careful now. Hopefully your heating and ultrasound treatments will help your back. My dd said those worked wonders for her on her last bad spell.

Nancy & Rebecca - I just do not know how you girls stand all that winter! I lived in Kansas for many years and I just hated it. Especially when it gets to be about this time of year and through March & April. I am a south Texas girl and this time of year always means spring is coming - it was so depressing in Kansas to know that spring didn't "spring" for good until almost May. Seems we always had a February thaw for about a week- just enough to get everyone's hopes up and then we would get zapped with cold again. It really gave me the blahs so I can completely understand your winter blues - even if you are used to the winter stuff! Wish you could be here. Its been in the 60 & 70 now off and on for a couple weeks with a front or two thrown in to take us back to the 30's & 40's once in a while at night. But hopefully we are just about over any really cold stuff for us.

Liz - Hey, one OP day is great! Now you need to get a string of them going. I think it is Saara who uses a calendar and keeps track of hers visually. When are you coming to Dallas-FW? My dd went to college in Fort Worth and I made many a trip there. I don't know much about the Dallas area, but I really love Fort Worth. It is about 30 miles west of Dallas but worth a side trip if you have time. It has a whole different "feel" than Dallas - at least I think so.

Rebecca - congrats on yet another loss! You are doing SO WELL! We are really proud of your efforts. The slower it comes off, the more time you have to learn how to keep it off! Good girl!

Jan - You have more energy than I. I need to get out and clean up my flowerbeds, but I have been too lazy. Its supposed to rain here tonight and tomorrow so I guess it will be too muddy to do so this week-end - TOO BAD! http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//lol.gif Hey, what is your zip code? (you can e-mail me with it if you want).
I thought I would keep an eye on your local weather forecast for the upcoming get-together! The 5 day forecast for here doesn't look too bad temperature wise - hopefully it will hold on for next week-end.

Janet - we are still waiting for the sunroof story!

Gotta go now. Everyone have a great week-end!

Old 02-23-2001, 06:36 PM   #26  

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while, but as you know I'm pretty busy with school and work. I didn't even realize how busy I've been till my boss told me that I ended up working about 130 hours this month (only 21 of them to go...). That's way too much! So hopefully I'll be working half of that next month. Also my conflict resolution course is keeping me very occupied at the moment as we're getting closer to the actual negotiations. Yesterday was a hard day since we had to negotiate about where our talks are held, whose hosting, and what should be in the invitation. It was so much harder than I'd ever thought. And I'm sure it's still much more hard in real life... But I'll tell you more after next Thursday.

I did have a few days off this week, and on Wednesday a class was cancelled so I pretty much stayed home and watched some movies and relaxed. I'm trying to find the time to go to the gym, too. Hopefully on Sunday I'll go. It got freezing cold again today, but at least the sun is shining! The days are getting longer and longer, I usually don't get up before 9, but one day had to get to the university by 8, and I was so surprised to notice that it was actually light outside at 8! And it doesn't get dark till about 6pm. Wow, it's almost spring time...

Well, I weighed in today, and had lost a pound. I wasn't expecting a loss, so I was happy. I'm still having some motivational problems, but hanging in there. But I'm sure proud of myself for continuing the fight and not giving up as I have done so many times before. Huge thanks to all of you for the wonderful support you're all giving me!!! My roommate also joined WW today.

Oh boy, I have to run. I don't want to be late from work... Have a good friday everyone!!! Saara.
Old 02-23-2001, 08:19 PM   #27  

Morning everyone!

Rymish: I heard about that accident in Maryland. It wasn't as bad here in North Jersey but it still made my normal 40 minute commute into almost 2 hours. I had to work until 8 last night so at least I missed the worst part of the traffic. But it still amazed me the number of cars that were abandoned right in the middle of the travel lanes!

Texaslady: Our meeting is mid march. They usually have things planned for us so I hope that it includes at least a little sight seeing. Or at least one dinner in a real "texas" type restaraunt. The hokier the better. And if they could throw in a cowboy I would be in heaven.....

Second day did not go too good. Some one brought in some pastries and of course I did not stop at one...and then I moved onto the vending machines..cheez.

Which actually reminds me of something that I meant to ask everyone. Since starting ww have your eating habits changed. Other than eating "healthier foods", that is, lower fat higher fiber, more fruits and veggies, mine haven't changed one iota. I still could eat from the moment I get up till the moment I go to bed. Has any of you changed into a three meal plus two snacks a day person if you weren't before? Is it something that maybe I should strive for?

Well at least I got my excercise in with all the shoveling.

everyone have a great day
Old 02-23-2001, 11:37 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Texaslady - it’s sunny here now – I just wish it would warm up. I have lived here all my life so I can’t imagine what it would be like having it any other way. It just seems that some years winter drags on to long. I do like the fact that the days are getting longer. It’s daylight when I go to work and when I go home. Mid winter it’s dark both ways. I would love to have you 60-70 degree weather for a while.

Rymish – wow – what a mess on your highways. I can’t imagine how long it took them to move all those cars out of the way. Have things straightened around today?

Saaro – Congrats on your 1 pound loss. You put in a lot of hours for just working part time. Sounds like you really needed that day to just crap out. Hopefully you got your engines revved up again and can go and take on the world.

Justliz – I don’t think Weight Watchers has changed my eating habits but other studying that I have been doing has. I have been following Dr. Weil for a while and have tried to adopt a healthier style of eating. I try to use organic when I can and try and stay away from red meats and oils that have been hydrogenated (sp?) I also try to follow the Mediterranean style of eating with an emphasis on whole grains. If I stick to it I do ok and it works in real well with the points system.

I did a mile on the treat mill this morning and if I can convince my hubby that we don;t need to go out tonight - I'm hoping for another mile.

I guess I better get back to work. Have a great weekend everyone!!

Nancy in TC
Old 02-24-2001, 02:03 AM   #29  

Carol, I heard about that pileup on the news; how awful! Sure hope you had a safe drive today, and that you can stay in this weekend! Of course, no way do you get to stay in NEXT weekend; I can hardly wait! I'm finding myself talking to those bluebonnet plants outside, telling them to hurry up and bloom so y'all can enjoy them.

Liz, if you love lists, you would *really* enjoy a Palm! It does lists, addresses, to-dos, memos, appts, WW journal, and so much more. I couldn't function without mine! Way to go staying OP, and taking it one day at a time; that's the way to do it!

Nancy in TC, what a good idea, cutting up veggies and such ahead of time. That'll save you time in the kitchen later in the week, so that you can cook healthy stuff. I've found that being on WW means I spend lots more time cooking, which is ok because I enjoy that, but it can lead to a real time crunch!

Rebecca, congrats, another pound gone! Almost at 10 percent, too, that's great; be sure to tell us when you get your keyring and we'll all celebrate with you (virtually)! I'm sorry you're having some winter blues, but you're right, spring is on the way. I kind of miss seeing snow, since I grew up north of Boston and loved winter sports.

Hi Texaslady! It's 78118, and you're right, I think - hope - we'll have good weather for our weekend. It's rainy now, but will clear up tomorrow. All in all, though, I'd prefer Laredo in the rain to Laredo in scorching heat ...

Saara, wow, you have really put in the hours! That's good news about your roommate joining WW. I think you said she likes to cook, too? Fantastic...

Well, so much for the coffeebreak; guess I'd better get back to work. Lots of loose ends to tie up today. DH took off this afternoon to take Dad to his ophthalmologist; hope the news is at least status quo.

Janet, what is this sunroof story? We are all in suspense ...

Old 02-24-2001, 04:32 AM   #30  

Hi everyone! TGIF! Our weather is much better today!
The final on that accident was 128 cars, 1 death, 14 fairly serious injuries, and about 100 minor injuries. It took them till about 10 pm to get the road clear enough to reopen(it happened at 11AM). Obviously there's huge amounts of news coverage of the thing here- the pictures are unbelievable! Then there was a 35 car pile up north of Baltimore. Not a good day for our general area!!
Janet, you're probably ready to shoot me for bringing up the sunroof story! Come on, girl- tell 'em about it. I think it's hysterical!!! I'd tell them, but it's your story!!
Texaslady, I left later than usual this morning so I'd be travelling the icy roads in the daylight. Traffic was really light- schools all over the area were closed, and the government was on liberal leave, so I think after the mess Thursday a lot of people took off. My PT appt was this afternoon- I thought at 2:30. I had debated whether to go, because things are pretty good by now and I know what exercises to do. But, I decided to go. I got home from work about 12:45 and figured I'd lie down for an hour. My phone rang about 2:15- it was the pt place. My appointment was at 1:30, not 2:30! I swear I'm brainless this week- I never do that sort of thing. So, I don't know if I'll reschedule or not- I'll see how the weekend goes.
Saara, I'm glad you're going to cut back your work hours a little!! You work too hard!!! Congratulations on the pound lost! Maybe your roomie would like to join our group.
Liz, I'm glad you had slightly better weather than we had yesterday, but a 40 minute commute that takes 2 hours is far from fun! I'm sorry yesterday was such a struggle, but don't beat yourself up about it. Just pick yourself up and start again! You asked about eating habit changes- in the 16 months I've been in WW, I think mine have changed drastically. I've learned what triggers overeating in me, and I've learned to deal with it in a healthier way. I was introduced to the phrase "point worthy" by these wonderful ladies- and I've learned that if something I really want but "shouldn't" have is point worthy to me at the time, I can have it if I allow for it. I'm a grazer- I don't rigidly adhere to 3 meals 2 snacks. What works for me is to eat something at least every 3 hours- it keeps me from pigging out, and helps keep what's left of my metabolism in gear. I've learned the joys of peeled baby carrots , and that warm liquids help me feel full. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've learned what I can and can't change about myself, and how to adapt. One major change I've made is that I haven't bought butter in over a year (I was a butterholic, and I now only use "I Can't Believe its not Butter" spray) and I don't even miss it.
Nancy TC, I'm glad you at least got a little sunshine!! When does spring usually appear in your area?
Jan, I'm glad I'm not the only person who talks to plants! How did things go with the eye doctor's visit for your dad?
Joyce, how's everyone in your house feeling?

What's the weekend hold for everyone? I may go in to work for a few hours, but I'm not sure. Today is my dd's 32nd birthday, so I want to catch up with her at some point and maybe take them out to dinner. Other than that, nothing much.
Well, I've rambled long enough. Have a good evening, everyone!
Carol
Closed Thread