Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 08:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default New to WW, sorta!

Hi all! I thought I would introduce myself, I'm a 25 (just turned, eek, I miss 24!) year old gal from Vancouver, BC, Canada. I'm trying to get from my size 18/20, at 269, to a 10 ish at a 163, however my mini goal is to get down to a size 14 (which is approx 200lbs for me). I'm trying out Weight Watchers with a friend, I had tried it once before and found it didn't work.. this was mostly because I was eating a lot of bread and pasta, which I just can't handle.. but they had such low points and filled me up. Anyways, I learned from my mistakes (uh-huh, suuure I did! ), and am starting Weight Watchers again with a friend. She really wanted me to do it with her, and she's helping me plan all my meals, I'm currently on Day 1. I'm hungry as *bleep*, but I suspect thats because I literally have nothing to eat in my house and have been scrambling to find anything. I'm hoping to get to the store on Saturday, or might send my boyfriend tomorrow. Any advice you can offer me? I'm going to start walking 3 times a week with another friend, I'm excited about that I hope you all are having a good Thursday!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:16 AM   #2  
Running Babe

Hey Swim,

I have a brother who lives in Vancouver as well! Don't ask me where, I think it's in the East end, though he's moving so I am still not sure what part. WW is good and now they are trying to get away from emphasizing bread (though I am sure they'll still sell it). Hopefully you can get to the store. My advice? Learn the tools (which I often forget), see what foods/drinks you can live without and live without them, treat yourself (for example, I love apple pie so I treat myself, I am not a big drinker so I generally don't bother). Exercise is so important. Also drink lots and lots of water. Also try and figure out what "full" is for you. I have figured out full is when I am not hungry anymore, not stuffed, not incompasitated. Usually when I start feeling traditional full that is when I have eaten too much. Lots of veggies help and eat fruit, it's low in points and great for you!

Cheers!

Ali
Old 08-27-2004, 10:17 AM   #3  

Hi! and welcome!! The best advice I can offer is to get organized!! I write down for the week what I plan on eating for dinner, and try to have a decent idea of what I might take to work for lunch, then I take my points finder with me to the store. It takes me a little longer to shop, because I stop and look at points for all kinds of stuff, anything that catches my eye I stop and figure up the points on. I have really been surprised how often "regular food" can fit into my points range. I write down the night before what I am going to eat for breakfast and lunch. I also try to keep lowfat popcorn because my main problem is wanting to eat at night. I don't know if you like to cook or not, but there are some excellent recipes on this website that have the points listed.
Hope this helps--and good luck!!!!
Old 08-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #4  
Running Babe

Oh yes, measure portions. Invest in a digital food scale, get good measuring cups and spoons. So much of what I do is automatic now. I still weigh my cereal everyday! I am eating less processed stuff too which also helps! I also take my lunch to work (save for low point sushi once a week I buy at Loblaws). Get your boyfriend to at least be supportive of your trek, mine is, I think he gets annoyed when I am down on my body though or talk insessently about points and stuff though, but he puts up with it. Figure out reasons why you overeat too (HALT, figure out if you're Hungry, Angry (or Anxious), Lonely or Tired, you could also add a B in there for bored).

Sherry: good ideas!

Hope everyone has a good weekend, I now have something on on Sunday as well... It's weird how in the fall your social calendar seems to fill up. I don't mind though!

Cheers!

Ali
Old 08-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #5  

You must have a wonderful friend!! Everyone should have a friend like yours that wants you to be healthy & happy. Best of luck to both of you. I know you can do it!!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #6  

hi i just joined weight watchers and it is my first week. i have been eating a lot of bread too!! can that really effect my weight loss? my first weight in is tomorrow and i dont feel like i lost anything. I do taebo when i get hungry that helps!!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #7  

Bread doesn't do well in my body, but lots of people do well with it. I have friends who can lose weight with eating lots of bread and pasta, not me tho
Old 08-28-2004, 12:26 PM   #8  

hey i just got back from my meeting and i lost 8 pounds!!!!! but they did tell me to limit my bread intake and i think the exersicing helped!!!! how are you doing?
Old 08-28-2004, 05:15 PM   #9  
Running Babe

I have been reducing my bread intake in general and am trying toi get lots of produce in. I should try to experiment with other grains as well!

Welcome Tasha and Jenny!

Cheers!

Ali
Old 08-28-2004, 06:21 PM   #10  

Walmart has Flatouts!!! they are wonderful!! and have 59% of daily fiber they look like flatbread and taste GOOD!!! oh and they are only 2 points yummy!!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:56 AM   #11  

My weigh-in is tomorrow, I think I'm doing alright so far. I've been working like crazy and barely have time for sleep, but I'm managing to stay on plan, so I guess thats a good thing ! BTW, JennyBug is my friend who has been helping me out with this Weight Watchers thing Well, it's 6am on a Sunday, and I should be sleeping, but instead I'm gonna force myself to eat breakfast and go to work! Hope you all are having a good weekend!
Old 08-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #12  

Tasha - Good job on that weight loss! Keep up ther good work
Old 08-29-2004, 11:15 AM   #13  

hey swimgirl!!
Let me know how well you did tomorrow!! i know you will do good!! dont give up!! you will reach your goal before you know it!! good luck have fun at work!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM   #14  

tasha - I'm down 7 points as of this morning. I started on Thursday, so it wasn't my full week weigh in, but I usually have Monday's off from work, so I can weigh myself before work. Usually I'm up at 6am, and out the door by 7am, and I eat, shower and make my lunch in all that time. Anywho, 7 pounds after 4 days onplan!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:29 PM   #15  

swim
GOOD JOB!!!!!! that is great! keep up the good work!! You are 7 pounds closer to your goal weight! good job keep me posted!!!
Closed Thread