Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 05:52 PM   #16  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, you are most welcome to any helpful observations I can manage to come up with. Glad I could help.

Other people don't know how much you actually weigh. They can only go by what you used to look like and what you look like now. But they're not comparing you with a person of normal weight for your height, as you are. So, don't let their comments get in your way. Simply remind her that you and your doctor will settle on the right weight for you and you won't endanger your health. (Or something else polite that will shut her up.)

Erin, it's pretty common to have an increased appetite after having been sick. Your body used a lot of energy fighting the illness and it wants it back. What I've discovered is that it's really easy to go overboard because my appetitie control gets out of whack. (Not that it was all that great to begin with. )

I talked with my mom today. My brother is going downhill super rapidly. He's in the hospital again. And she's concerned because she now has to find other care for him. She can't do it any more.
But what makes this all more difficult is that her former boyfriend (but still friend) had a heart attack over the weekend. He's fine and back at home now. But my mom has super high blood pressure and I'm getting worried about how this stress will affect her health. Ladies, right now I'm just hanging in there.

I've been working on my book. Writing in my morning journal, my faith, and my book are what's keeping me together. My family does their best, but they're guys. They're typically clueless. They're from another universe when it comes to emotional stuff.

WW is going OK today. I went for a long walk and did some errands. My eating is OK. It's been great today, but not so great yesterday. I'm feeling OK with how it's going. But I'm not sure if I can keep it up. I'm just hoping I can manage to keep my weight steady and get back to losing when my life settles down a little more.

Happy turtlin!

Lin
272/235/230/135 or so
Old 04-08-2002, 07:19 PM   #17  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Just a quick note to let you know you and your family are regularly in my prayers, Lin.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:58 PM   #18  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

LIn,
I'm sending loads of hugs and compassion to you. I am praying for all of you and hoping that you have the strength to get through this awful time. Please put the most important things first and only you know what they are. In times of tragedy some people like to control their food tightly because they gain a feeling of control in at least one part of their lives. Others throw caution about food out the window because they can't even bear to think of it at a time like this. I am going to pray that you get through this time with your dignity intact and that you can be strong enough to help yourself, your mom, and your brother.
God bless you.
Judy
Old 04-09-2002, 06:01 PM   #19  

Oh Lin, my heart goes out to you. I'm sending all the good karma I have stored up your way.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:08 PM   #20  

Well, Turtles, I tried to go to Spinning this morning. I managed half the class, then I had to give up. I'll try again tomorrow night. Thankfully Kelly was understanding about my having to leave!

I've got a Physics test tomorrow that I really should be studying for. There's 4 weeks of school left and we have 3 more tests. OUCH. I also have another test tomorrow, but that one shouldn't be hard. I've got an A, in that class.

I've discovered Morningstar Farms Pot Pies--YUM! I've long lamented the fact that no one makes nice vegetarian pot pies, and now my favorite veggie company has a new one! They're 6 points, so not the cheapest, but wow are they satisfying.

I've been ravenous for the last few days, trying very hard not to just throw caution to the wind and eat whatever, whenever. This is not helped by the fact that DH's birthday was monday and my best friend's was last night. Couple that with being sick, and it's not a good combination. I'm very high in points for the week, right now--148 over 4 days--and I'm just barely going to squeak by under 210 this week. I've got 17 planned today (cereal and milk, pot pie, orange, whole wheat pasta and chunky veggie sauce) so that's 165 over 5 days, and then I have 45 points for the last 2 days. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This week isn't working out so well. I'm desperately hungry, every time I turn around my stomach is growling. We'll see what happens. I may well post a small gain this week. Oh well. I know this system works for me, this week is just a glitch. So, whatever.

I hope everyone is doing okay, Lin. I'm still thinking about you.

Judy, Lauren, hope everything is going fine for you too.

Have a good day, Turtles, I'm off to class.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:19 PM   #21  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Lin,
Here are some hugs and prayers for you and yours.

Lauren,
I remember people telling me I had lost too much weight and I thought it was the most wonderful sentence in the whole wide world. I'd take it as a compliment. Glad you are doing so well.

Mousie,
Feel better soon so you can complete the spinning classes.
As far as being hungry, I don't think that's so unusual following a week when you didn't eat many points at all. I think your eating urges and hunger will balance out soon.

Guys--
I went to WW today and I lost 1.6#. I'm really happy. I feel I turned my weight gain around, stayed OP, and lost weight this week. Stresses have lightened, but they're not gone yet so I am very proud of myself. I'm journaling very carefully and keeping track of all my banked points because times pop up when I need the extra points and it's great to see them sitting in a bank to be used as needed.
Today in WW my wonderful lecturer asked us, "What's in it for you?" In other words, why are we doing WW and what do we have to get from this program? I know I want to lose another pound this week. That's my goal. To do that I have to plan and prepare. Margo offered some tips to help us feel full and satisfied with few points. Here are some:
Manishewitz no-yolk noodles 1 3/4cups for 3 points
cut up veggies roasted in a pan for a long time to make a veggie sauce yummy on fish, chicken, noodles, pasta, or a potato
kashi pilaf with veggies
dried apple slices found at Trader Joe's 12 slices=1point (if you're looking for something very sweet)
spaghetti squash with veggies over it and mixed with one cup of pasta. (huge serving with only the pasta counting as points)

So, dear turtles, I'm sending you all good vibes in our stressful lives. Let's take care, do the best we can, and keep on being turtles. The earth is ours.
Love,
Judy
219/217.6/lower
Old 04-11-2002, 12:01 AM   #22  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Lauren, if you want to start a new thread, please feel free to do so. I have to stay offline as much as possible right now but I wanted to check in.

It's great to see you all are doing so well. Judy, congrats on that great loss.

Erin, you will get your eating back to it's usual balance soon, I'm sure. I wouldn't worry about going a few points over this week because you were so far under last week. It balances.

Lauren, and everyone, thanks for the prayers, good karma, and support. We're at the waiting for the dreaded phone call stage. It should be sometime tonight or tomorrow. We're all doing the best we can.

I'm doing the best I can to avoid undoing what I've succeeded in accomplishing with my weight over the past few years. That's all I'm capable of doing right now. I got on the scale and my weight is about the same. If I'm careful, I should be able to get through this without gaining and then I'll be able to get back to my usual habits.

Gotta get off the phone. I have no idea when that awful phone call may come.

Have a great day and happy turtlin!!

Lin
272/235/230/135 or so
Closed Thread