Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #16  

G'day all,

Sorry to hear Leon is not well Glenda, if the noises are too distracting, you could always move into 'our' bedroom

Sounds like you are busy with your 're-do's Suz.
We have been in our house for 6 years now and it was brand new when we bought it. As most of you know we have probably only lived in the house for about 1/2 of that time because of Alan's work.
I have always hated the carpet, it looks nice but...it is some acrylic mix and it is cream consequently to keep it looking cream I have had to have it shampoed just about every 6 months.
Next friday we are having our new carpet laid throughout the house, it is still a light colour but with some texture and it is pure wool, we are hoping it will be as good as the salesperson said it would be.
To give the whole house a bit of a freshen up, I have been washing curtains, re-organising cupboards, book cases etc. It is looking good and the carpet will hopefully finish it all off nicely.

Our son David played an unbelievable game of cricket yesterday and made the headlines in the sports section of our newspaper this morning. It was great that we were all at the game to see it. I know none of you are too interested in cricket so I won't bore you with the details!
Matilda was chatting to one of the spectators about his dog, the man really wanted to watch the cricket and asked her if she liked watching the cricket, she said 'yes but my dad is always playing cricket' in other words I don't get much of an opportunity to pat a cocker spaniel and I rather do that then watch the cricket. When David reached another milestone in his game and there was a lot of applause, she just casually said to the man that it was he was her Dad. He said what a good player her Dad was she said 'yes I know he just like playing cricket'
It was a lovely sunny afternoon, all very enjoyable.

The website is going very slowly, it is such a lot of work and I am a bit overwhelmed by it all.

I won't even bother to talk about weight or excercise

We did have a nice overnight with the girls last weekend. Matilda loved the bride on the beach, it was a beautiful warm afternoon. We walked home and I fed Poppy and put her to bed and Matilda sat up with us till 8.30. She really is 2 1/2 going on 18!

Off to lunch today...have a nice weekend all...

Cheers
Maria
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #17  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Morning all
Maria Sounds like your house is going to look very after the new carpet goes in We have been removing carpets and replacing with wood floors and small area rugs and mats something I can wash regularly the next bedroom is comeing along nicely, we are working on the closet but now have to go and pick up some more materials so we cam continue on Congrats on your son's cricet game honours

We got hit again with snow this weekend about another 3 inches and yesterday and last night it got very windy and cold its about -20 with the wind chill
Well I must go another busy day Suz
suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:41 AM   #18  
Fun Blonde

Maria,
Your description of Matilda just pretty much resonates with me. I don't know if it is little girls that just mature quicker or what, but Makenzie has always talked like a grown-up too. The other day she was in a shopping basket and her mother, sister and she were being checked out. Everybody else around was black. Out of the blue she looked around and very loudly said, "Well, everybody's got to be some color!" Her mom and sister were glad to get out of the store. Do you all celebrate Valentine's Day? Just got the little kids' valentines in the mail.

Nothing going on here. Tomorrow is my next cataract surgery. He is going to do an implant that would help me see close up so I will have mono-vision. Hope it works well for me.

Suze, how much snow do you have on the ground there? We have none, but it is so darned cold! I don't have clothes for this weather. I just got a new coat and it is leather. It is worthless in this cold weather, but it looks good. hee! hee! as Sally would say.
Glenda
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #19  

G'day all,

Glenda
I know what you are saying about Mackenzie, they are somewhat similar the way they chat like little adults, they are very cute.
I polished my nails the other day and Matilda asked if I put on a top coat because my polish will last so much longer!!!!! She is not even three yet! Good luck with your surgery.

Suz you will be able to relate, what a lot of work putting in new carpet! We are paying extra for the carpet layers to move the furniture but I have to move all the little bits and pieces and I have more little bits and pieces then I thought!
It is a bit of a trend here in Australia people changing from wall to wall carpet to polished wooden floors and rugs. It looks great in some houses but it wouldn't in mine. Both my children have ripped out all the carpet and have had their wooden floor sanded and polished, it looks super.

Today we have to go to a funeral and tomorrow we have the girls. We thought we would take the girls to Cleland National Park. It is a wildlife park with very tame kangaroos, koala's etc. The weather is beautiful and we are sure the girls will love it. It not being school holidays and in the middle of the week, we will probably have the park to ourselves.

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #20  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everyone:
Lots of news to catch up on. Everyone is busy with the remodeling. We've done some, and i hope to do a bit more painting in our entry way, but not right now. That is for a bit later when I have more time.

Our Showtime is now over, no more selling tickets or trying to pressure people into supporting it. We had an Irish entertainer, Cahal Dunne, and he is excellant. Everyone liked him a lot, and we did have a good crowd. He is a singer comedian,and pianist. And to top that off, just a very nice man.

About our grapefruit tree- I was taller than our house, and in our back yard the trees in the neighbors yards are so tall that they shaded the grapefruit tree. It had started to grow toward our house because of the shade. We thought about just having it pruned, but since with some of our medications we can't eat it a lot, plus DH doesn't like it at all, it seemed just the wise thing to take it down. The back yard looks very empty. I hope we won't be sorry.

I finally broke the news to the chorus on Monday, that I am retiring from the job. I have led the group for at least 12 years maybe more. i can't remember now exactly when i took over. At the time the director fell and broke her hip and I got the job. It was a hard decision to make, but, I just feel that it is time. Quit when you are ahead. Not after people begin to think you need to quit. I have just gotten burnt out, no good ideas any more, and it has been more work than fun lately. So this program will be my last. Everyone keeps saying, well maybe after you have a sabbatical, you'll want to come back, but I rather doubt it. Maybe by that time there will be someone new to do it, but I know if I don't quit, no one would come forward and say that they want it. I hope all this makes sense.

I tried an interesting dessert tonight, low in calories and quite good. I have some small ramikins and I took an apple and cut it in half. Each half went in to one of the dishes. I had some cranberry sauce, and I stirred in 1 TBS into the apples. Then added a few raisins and some cinnamon, and a little sugar. Then I put a topping of oatmeal, a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and enough soft margerine to hold it together. Baked it until the apples were tender, and then served it with some non-fat whipped topping. YUM!

Suz- I don't envy you all your snow and cold. Or any of the rest of you either. I just like our Fl. temperatures. Tonight we are supposed to get a lot of rain, and we keep getting the weather bulletin across the tv screen about a tornado watch for many counties, ours included, until 11:00p.m. tonight.

Glenda- I hope all goes well with the second surgery. You will be amazed when all is over. Sorry that Leon is under the weather. Bad colds are just miserable.

Maria: your Matilda sounds like a little lady. Don't you think that when young children spend the bulk of their time with adults, it is easy for them to talk to other adults.
There seems to be a difference with children who go to day care and spend more time with kids.

Gloria: Glad your eye checkup went well. having eye problems is a bit on the scary side.

Keep the good jokes coming gals, as I can use some of them at our coffee hour. I do have to be a bit discriminate, since I can't offend anyone. So I could ask the pantyhose quiz: but I do enjoy getting them all and so do my listeners. They don't know that I screen things so carefully.

Getting time for beddybye. So goodnight all. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 AM   #21  
suz
suz

Morning Ladies

Glenda We have a lot of snow in the past week we have got about 15 inches of new snow and that does not count the 3 inches we got last night We are supposed to get more on thursday night as well

Ann it is very cold here it has been about -20's over the night and into the teens during the day

Maria I have always like the look of wood floors and find it easier to keep clean than have to scrub carpets

We will have to start some of our plants for our garden at the begining of March and that means it won't be long until we are working outside I can not wait Jan & Feb so far have been cold and snowy and with all the extremes of weather it does not help my DH tinnitus

Take care Suz
Old 02-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #22  
Super Surfer

Smile Hi.. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY all..

Ann your recipe does sound delicious. I think the cranberry with apples would be so tasty. Wrote it down and will try it. Cinnamon is supposed to be good for weight loss, but I forget why. I didn't realize you were doing the chorus for 12 years. Is anyone stepping up to take over?
Glenda Hope your surgery went well. It will be nice to have that anxiety over and done with.
Suz You certainly have had your fill of snow. We have had very little, but it has been so cold that nothing melts. Yours comes and goes I understand. At any rate, I will be glad to have this winter over with. Today is -14F, at least there is no wind, small consolation.
Maria When we were changing our carpet, our hardwood floors were exposed for the first time in so many years. They are so beautiful, but I like the feel of carpeting so much better. Trends come and go, right now it is fashionable to have the hardwood. On another topic, I think that you have Karen's address still at aldelphia... she wrote us recently that she changed it.
I hope I have that right...
I am trying a new recipe for Chili today. I will be adding a soy product instead of the ground beef. Has anyone ever tried these soy products? It will be interesting to see what we think of it... very adventurous for me. My DH buys the Tofu wieners and I hate the smell of them when they are cooked.
I received a bouquet of flowers today.. better than chocolates which I would not be able to resist until they were all gone.

Have a great day everyone..
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #23  

I am finally checking in here. Have been really busy with mil and her trips to the hospital. She spent 2 weeks there off and on. Once for bronchitis and the last time for 5 days - who knows why. D is at his wits end and his one sister came into town to help a little. I wish she was like Ann's company and not feel sorry for herself.
We had a snow day the other day. You snow people would laugh-there was an inch or two and it closed the town. We are having a long weekend for Presidents day. Maybe I can get something done around here. All your sprucing up and painting has me in the mood.
Maria I know you will do a good job with the web site. My niece, the wine buyer, told me the other day that she is coming to Australia the first 2 weeks in March. She is landing in Sydney and going across southern Aus to visit wineries. She thought Adelaide was on her itinerary.
Got to run. P is on the phone.
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #24  
Fun Blonde

All, my surgery went well after it finally went. I was there at 7:30 in the morning and thought it was strange that so many people were just sitting around. Found out a "key piece of equipment had malfunctioned" and had to reschedule the next day. After talking to the doctor, I told him I was so disappointed because Leon and I had taken off work. Anyway, drove home to eat a big breakfast and got a phone call from the doctor asking me to come back, that the electric relay had been repaired. So, for a little bit felt like a yo-yo. He said I was the only one he called back because I was the only one who had to take off work. The surgery went well. I am going to have to have reading glasses, but that is all. Pretty great!

I am going to complain. It is cold and going to be colder. This weekend is supposed to be cold and miserable. So tired of that. Yesterday was beautiful and I want to go back to being used to that. Ann and Karen, you are the people I most wish to be right now. Sunshine! How I love you!

Ann, there always comes a time when it is time to change direction. I remember when I and a friend always taught Bible school, but there came a time when it was someone else's place to be there. But your choir will miss you a lot. It might be fun to participate as a regular, not the director. Will you be a member or a member of the audience? When will this take place?

Going to take care of Makenzie tomorrow night so her parents can have a weekend out. She is always a hoot.
Glenda

Last edited by survivor; 02-15-2008 at 04:32 PM.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #25  

G'day all,

Just for Glenda, great your operation went so well and if it makes you feel any better it is going to be 106F for the next few days, I know I would rather be cold then this hot.

Good to 'see' you Peggy, that does sound like a lot of work looking after your m-i-l. Isn't she in a nursing type home? It is exhausting looking after 2 grandchildren one day a week, I would think it would be even more exhausting looking after an elderly person.
If your niece is in Adelaide she is very welcome to give me a call. We live very close (walking distance albeit a long walk!) to arguably the most popular beach area of Adelaide. My phone details are at the bottom of my emails.

Trudy we have cement floors, the older type homes have wooden floors which are very often polished when the homes are being done up. I am a bit with you, I do prefer the feel of carpet but my sister would never go back to carpet.
How nice to get a bunch of flowers, we don't really celebrate Valentines Day, it seems to be more for the young.

It is very early sunday morning, best do a few things outside before it gets too hot to do anything outside.

Cheers
Maria
Old 02-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #26  
suz
suz

Morning Ladies

Glenda so glad your surgery went well I wish there was something they could do for my eyes I have scar tissue on both of my retinas its called macular dystropy and they say they can not do anything for it I can still drive but in 5 yrs or so I may not be able to!!

Its still really cold here -20's C thats about 0 F and it os also a bit windy We are almost done with Feb
Maria Is it still hot in australia What are your winters like?

We are getting close to finishing that 2nd bedroom we just have to get the 2 bifolds, get the wood flooring rip up the old rug and lastly put the baseboards back on we soon will have to start some of our garden plants

Take care Suz
Old 02-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #27  

Another boring snow day and the roads are fine. Wish they could figure out what a real snow is like. So no school today.
Glenda that was nice of that doctor to call you back since you took a day off of work. At least the equipment didn't stop working while he was doing your eyes. I am also tired of the cold. I hate bundling up in coats and stuff. I am soooo ready for spring. And so are my daffodils that are starting to come up and have buds. I hope they survive.
Maria, D's parents are in an assisted living home. They have been there for a year. When my fil had those little episodes last Jan they went there when he was released from the hospital. He hates it but he is her caretaker. My friends mom just died and she was amazing. She was 90 something and until just the last couple of years she did everything. Even went blueberry picking. Wish my mil had the same attitude. D's sister is here till next week-it is nice to have help.
Suz you will have a nice shiny house when you are finished with all that you are doing. Just in time to go out and be in your garden.
Our Wild Oats market is turning into a Whole Foods Market. I will have to go check it out but I bet it is pricey.
We are supposed to watch P tomorrow night. He is feeling his oats and being a typical 2 almost 3 year old. He can be so cute one minute and a little stinker the next.
Well I guess I should do something. Maybe I will go ride my bike and get some exercise.
Peggy
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #28  
Super Surfer

Unhappy Another cold day..

Hi All,
I have to add my 2 cents worth on the weather topic. We are having the worst Feb. I can remember. Today it is -24C with a wind chill making it -36C... can you even believe that? That wind cut through me like a knife. I had some errands to run after my work out and I moved very fast from the car to the buildings. Unfortunately we have to go out again tonight. Wish I could just stay home. It is my sister in laws birthday, and we always gather together for the family for all these occasions. My brother will have some electrical cords outside so we can all plug in the car batteries. I would hate to be stranded tonight. We are all looking forward to spring, and it is coming. We don't have the lights on when we eat our supper now, the sun is so much higher in the sky. When it is so cold, the sky is very clear. Wonder if we will be able to view the eclipse tonight?
Sally phoned me on the weekend. She is having a really nice time with her brother and sister in law in Texas. She was upgraded to a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo because they were painting the smaller ones. She is living in the lap of luxury, and even has maid service once a week to clean up the apt. I miss her and will be glad when she gets home.
Not much else is new, hope everyone is having a great WARM day..
Trudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #29  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all:
I won't tell you about our nice weather, because I don't want to make all you cold weather sufferers unhappy. Because even our cooler weather would be warm to you.

we went out and watched the eclipse tonight for as long as we could, before a big cloud came and just covered it right up. It really is a beautiful thing to watch. This universe that God has made is so aweinspiring.

The chorus rehersals are going as well as could be expected even tho' we don't have all that many practices left. March 10th will be here before I blink. Right now there isn't anyone to take over, but hopefully someone will show up. I stayed longer because there wasn't anyone in the wings, and so maybe now that I will be out, someone will come forward. I might sing in the group, or maybe at first just be an audience member. Time will tell about all of that, of course.

My friend who directs our Kitchen Band put me in her show this year. She also makes it into some skits and playlets. So this year it is the Pirates of Lake Henry. (That is our lake) and I get captured by the pirates and tied to the mast, until my husband the Governor comes and rescues me. Just pure corn, but we all have a good time with it and the audience seems to enjoy it.

We had ladies appreciation luncheon today at the clubhouse. All the men wait on all of us. We get a flower and a glass of wine, and our meal, and entertainment. It is a fun time, and all the guys are dressed in black pants and white shirts. And they all look so serious, so afraid that they will spill something.

How is all the redecorating coming Maria and Suz? By now it must be nearly complete.

Peggy- I hope you have had some time to rest up from the difficulties with your MIL. I'm sure it is a difficult time for your DH too. The caregiver job is surely not an easy one.

We are going down to Bonita Springs for a few days after the show is over. I know my SIL could use a change of scenery and my DH can stay with his brother while we girls go out for a little shopping. This 24/7 caregiving can get tedious for sure.

Glenda I'm so glad that all went well with your cataract surgery. Are you finding a big change in your vision now? I have one eye that is building up to needing surgery. The other eye seems to be all right. That is the one that had all the laser treatment and shots. Maybe that slowed down the formation of cataracts.

Time to think about bed. Stay warm all you gals.

Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #30  

it is the end of the day for me and I thought I may as well start a new thread, busy day planned for tomorrow.

See you there!

Maria