Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #16  
suz
suz

S/C/G: 178/150.6/135

Height: 5'3"

Hello Ladies

Trudy the scale measures % BF and % water by sending a low intensity electrical signal through your body ( not to worry I don't light up like a candle while this happenibg LOL ) the signal flows with different degrees of difficulity depending on the persons body fat level this si called electical impedance and is how body fat and water are estimated thats what the intrustion manual says How acurate it is who knows

Exercise going well and so is the eating My DH and I went for a walk yesterday out through our pasture (mostly uphill ) to check out trees as we had very high winds the other day We cleaned up a lot of branches

I think I will go for another walk today its fairly nice out mix of sun and cloud and little or no wind

How is everyone else doing?
Talk later Suz
suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #17  

The challenge sounds interesting. I am just getting here and seeing it. Maybe that will spark me. Maria thanks for CK Aussie link. I used to go there untill it wasn't free. I do belong to Spark People which is free. I will try to exercise. I have something wrong with my foot and it hurts. I have some kind of lump or calcium deposit on my ankle and I get pains in my foot.
Suz congrats on the new little one. And thanks for getting me going on the diet thing.
Maria that is the kind of summer we had. It was so hot all the time and the drought killed a lot of trees and plants. Now it seems to rain so much. No happy medium. It hasn't been as cold as usual either. We all are in a weird cycle. Loved looking at the pictures of your vacation. I bet there was a lot of goings on with the little ones. I would need a big rest.
Trudy - I have been going nuts with that Superman game you sent.
Ann I hope you are feeling better. Seems like a lot of icky stuff is going around.
Glenda I am with you in finding Jan sort of a downer.
Would you believe that we went to an open house today that was Christmas oriented. She must have a dozen or more trees in her house all with a different theme. I think she is nuts do it this late. I would sick of them by now. At least we timed our arrival a little later so I didn't have to help get the food together this year. Live and learn. I guess you can tell it is unorganized.
I have to go to work early tomorrow and I need to get my work clothes ready. We have been so busy lately. The cafe has to be making money with all the kids that buy. Last Monday in the first group {K 1&2]we had over 60 kids buy the salad bar alone. I didn't think we would ever get them through.
Peggy
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #18  
Fun Blonde

Peggy, I am so surprised and happy that you had such a good business with the salad bar. That is nothing but good news. If we can just get our kids back to eating vegetables and getting away from fast food, our whole nation will be happier. I think we all just got in the habit of eating quick and cheaply. My little grandkids right now still like vegetables and don't want sodas and they don't have them available. My grown boy, the principal, tells me that his school is so poor that they need the soda companies' money for extra things. I argue and say those extra things are not needed at the expense of their health. Oh well!

The lady I walk around the lake with is the most depressing person. She is always so negative. After being with her, I have to mentally shake myself to come out of the gloom and doom. Do you all know people like that?

Suze, what is the brand of your scale? Would you mind saying how much it costs? I probably don't want to know the secrets it is telling you about yourself, and I am just kind of amazed at this technology.

Nothing new in this boring part of the world. I think I am still in my January-funk. Wish I was in Maui with you-know-who.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #19  

G'day all,

Unfortunately my excercise little regime I had going with riding my bike has come to a halt, my knee is hurting quite badly and I will be going to the physio tomorrow.
Weight has stayed the same
The physio is a sports person and I KNOW she will want me to get going on my bike trips again as soon as possible.

Thank goodness our weather has calmed down a bit and we haven't had the extreme heat, lovely cool mornings and warm to hot during the day.

This morning we received the 3 seasons of the Deadwood series. Alan loves 'yippees' (as you know Glenda), the series was made by HBO but wasn't shown on any of our TV stations. Having been to Deadwood and the Dakotas, I thought it would be interesting. We have only just watched the first episode and I can now see why it wasn't shown on free to air TV. The language is VERY colourful to say the least and also quite violent.
We wondered if we had done our money, the complete 3 series (17 DVD's) cost us $90! They were sent from China and seem to be very good quality.

I am also selling CD changer on Ebay, another 1 hour and the auction has come to an end. We bought it 5 years ago for $325 and at the moment the bidding is up to $61. It will be good to get rid of some more 'stuff' .

The other big thing in my life at the moment is preparing a quote to revamp an existing website http://www.craniofacial.com.au/home/index.mhtml
Worth having a look at the site, they do some incredible work repairing deformities either from birth or acquired later in life due to an accident.
It is going to be a huge challenge but I will probably have a go if they accept my quote.

Life continues to be very busy, will I ever get to finishing my American book, at the moment I am working on the Washington chapter which is going to be quite large. Still a lot of chapters to do...now it has come to a bit of a stand still with the website quote.

I must fly, get another glass of water and get on with it....

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 01-15-2008 at 06:26 PM.
flaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #20  

Hi all, Thought I'd do more than just read today. December was a bust as fare as weight was concerned. I gained almost 6 pounds. Went on the core plan on January the 1st. And as of last nights weigh in I am back to my before Christmas weight. That is 4 pounds under goal. I was really sweating it. Got out my before pictures and stuck them on the fridge. so i would have to look at them. And I don't want to go back to those days of 55 pounds heaver and miserable about it. So I feel better about the whole thing now.

My Mom is here now. She arrived last Wednesday. Nice to have her around instead of always talking by phone. She will be here until April.

I saw there was a challenge going on here but I don't do well with challenges so just off on my own there. Of course I go to WW meetings every Tuesday evening. I'm still walking 1 or 2 miles every day. And still leading my band of heath nuts in aerobics. Haven't been to the pool this week to cool. But hoping it will be warmer next week for the pool.

Other wise nothing new and exciting going on here.

Sorry about all the aches and pains for those I read about. Hope you all get better soon. Glenda I know what you mean about people who drag you down there a few here and I just try to stay away from them.

Time to go fix dinner so will see you all later.
Karen
Karen L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #21  
Member Florida Chick

Hi All: Well, I finally feel like a human being again. eating more normally, and having more energy. Me the night owl, was going to bed at 9:30 when i was feeling so 'punk'. I lost 4 lbs. while ill, and it is a struggle now to keep it off.

Glenda; I know what you mean about winter months. When we were still up north it got dark so early in the afternoon. When i was working, I'd go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I hated that. And I am with Karen, I know some really negative people, and I try to stay away from them when I can. And Sweet One, you don't know old yet. My DH had cataract surgery a while back, and he was amazed at how much better he could see.

Maria: Your web site sounds like a challenge. I hope they accept your quote. Your weather sounds like what we experienced during our summer. Now today we had a lovely rain, and it is cool. I lost a nice vine when we had our frost a week or so ago. Some tell me it will come back, but I have my doubts. (Being negative, I guess) Sorry about your knee. Hope the therapy does well for you.

Peggy: Sounds great that kids are doing salad bars. Even that as a school system, you have a salad bar. So many do not. And feed the kids the kind of junk food that they want.But it makes for a busy time for you all in the kitchen.
I'd like to be on the beach with Sally, too.

Suz: That scale sounds like a winner. We really need a new scale that is more truthful than the one we have. My DH says it doesn't really matter, it isjust keeping track of the gain or loss. But when you go to the Dr. and get weighed it is sometimes a big shock coming face to face with reality.You mentioned walking in your pasture. Do you live on a farm--a working farm?

Gloria: Did you get snowed in with the No'Easter that hit your part of the world?

Trudy: Have you found any better types of frozen dinners with lower sodium and fat? Keep hunting. They are out there.

Sally: I envy your beach time. When are you coming back to Texas?

We went to different Dr's three times this week. Mon, Tues, and Wed. all check-ups for D.H. I think all we have to do is tell the car Medical Building, and it will automatically know where to go.

Tomorrow I will be spending the day at a Showcase of talent, looking for acts we can use here in the park. Starts at 11:00 and goes to 5:00p.m. A different act every twenty minutes. Sometimes they are really very good, and then other times, it is time to go to the bathroom or get some lunch and move around.

I think we are going out for lunch today. There is a place that is only open during the Citrus season, and their food is really good, and they make great soup. My favorite lunch food. But definitely not for DH. I can always plan on going out to eat if I tell him we are going to have a light supper with soup and salad.:

See you all soon. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #22  

G'day all,

Pleased you are feeling better Ann. I can imagineyour car would know exactly where to drive with your many visits to the Medical Building.
You seem to have been taking Phil for a long time for different tests

I am surprised you have frost in Florida, I thought your climate was too mild for that. Where I live, we never have frost, rarely a bit of sleet in the Adelaide Hills, about 40 minutes drive from my place.

A friend of mine has just been diagnosed with breast cancer, she is coping amazingly well and will have a mastectomy next Friday and then radiotherapy and chemo. Her biggest problem is that she lives in the country and she will have to travel to Adelaide for treatments. Having experienced the same thing and I know that you need to surround yourself with positive people, I have offered for her to stay with us during the week.
It will depend how she is feeling and if she feels up to a daily 3 hour drive.

I went to the physio yesterday and I think I will be having a permanent booking for some time, she said I had a tennis elbow and the start of a frozen shoulder, all very treatable but it will take time. I haven't told her about my knee yet!!!

A very hot day but there is some cloud build up, fingers crossed for a thunderstorm and RAIN!

We are enjoying the Deadwood Series despite the language and violence, I am glad I did not live on those days. The scenery is great and it brings back some good memories of our visit there.

I have had the green light to build the website, I am very nervous about it but will give it a go.

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #23  
suz
suz

Good morning Ladies

Survivor and Ann The scale is a Tony Little he is a fitness guru from the US The cost was $30

Maria I hope the physio helps and does not take forever to heal

Ann My DH and I live on a 5.5 acre hoppy farm and we do market gardening We just started last year and it was a learning experience We planted what we thought would sell well ( alot of beans) but found out not that many people wanted beans we could not give them away So this year we are doing a lot less beans and more of carrots and beets as they seemed to do well I used to have a horsr on the pasture but had to have her put down at age 33 1/2 yrs old so now my pasture is empty but this year a friend from church is going to pasture some cows here in exchange we will get some freezer beef We also raise chickens for our freezer

The exercise is going well but the weight is not moving I think I need to down size my portions and do more than just walking in between my exercise classes

Take care Suz
Old 01-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #24  

Maria have faith in yourself. I bet you will do a fine job on revising the website. I can't wait to see what you do with it. That is nice of you to offer your house to your friend. A daily 3 hour drive sounds like a lot to someone undergoing chemo and radiation. I hope she takes you up on the offer since you have been through it also. Does the elbow and shoulder bother you more when you are on the computer? Hope you get your rain.
Suz I would buy produce from you if I lived by you. Nothing like home grown. My son has a little garden that he is making bigger. He enjoys growing corn, carrots, cukes, peppers and watermelon. I didn't realize that Tony Little made a scale. I have an ab video of his and it is a killer.
Ann you sure are getting more than your share of visiting drs. You all should be on first name basis by now. How was your lunch out?
Karen how nice to have your mom with you for a few months. I didn't realize that you led an aerobics group. Good for you.
I officially started my diet this past Monday. It is hard-I realize that I snack and taste way too many things. I check in with *********** every day to keep straight. Now I have to get going with the exercise part of it.
Have a nice weekend. It is going to be really cold here or so the weatherman says.
painter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:36 PM   #25  

G'day all,

Suz I would also be in line to buy your fresh produce, a bit far to go
I regularly go to our local little market where besides all sorts of second hand stuff, there also people who sell their home grown fruit and veg, nothing like the home grown variety.

Thank you for your confidence in my web designing skills Peggy!
I have a meeting with them next week and will get more of an idea what they are after. I believe they want to get away from the 'medical' look of the site and have more before and after stories. Some of the 'miracles' these very clever surgeons perform are indeed life changing for their patients.
I will share the results of the website once it is up and running, probably in a couple of months time.

Hope you are enjoying your Mum's stay Karen. Aerobics is about the only excercise I used to enjoy, its a pity I had to give it up due to all my pains and aches

My daughter told me about a program called 'Ergominder'. It is a posture and exercise reminder for computer operators.It is some software you download on your computer and it pops up a window every 45 minutes (or whatever time you choose) with an excercise to do.
At her work (government department) it is installed on everyones computer.
I have downloaded it and it is free for 2 weeks, I might buy it at the end. I always have good intentions but never get up and do something, I could be sitting 5 - 6 hours at a stretch before I finally get up to use the loo or something! A pop up window to remind me to have stretch or whatever would be good.

Have a great weekend all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-20-2008, 11:30 AM   #26  
Member Florida Chick

Good Morning:
We are in another cold snap. Down to 45 this a.m. and we had to be up and out by 7:30 today as I was playing the piano for our early church service. BRRR!!! I did go well, for my first teim. Now I will be doing this every other week. There is another chap who will be on the off weeks. That's good.

All these Dr. visits were the follow-up's to all the tests. Just one more tomorrow. This one will determine if DH has to have more iron infusions or if he is 'rusty' enough for a while.

Maria: I know you will do a great job on the web site. You always do. It will be fun to see what you do with it. I'm glad that you can get relief with the physical therapy and hope you'll let the therapist get at your knee too. You will be good for your friend, since you can relate your experiences to her. A three hour drive would be very difficult after chemo and/or radiation.

Suz: Your produce farm sounds good. Wish we were closer too. Do you grow organic food stuffs. There seems to be more and more call for that in the stores now. Do you grow corn? I suppose it will take a couple of seasons to find out just what your customers want. And what about strawberries? We used to go to Wolfe Island and pick berries most every year. They were so good. Much better than the Florida berries.

Peggy: We had a great lunch. There is a fruit place near here that also sells lunches and strawberry shortcakes during the season. When the citrus is finished then they close. They have wonderful soups, and their specialty is grapefruit pie. I've never tried it, but people say it is very good.

I hope to get back walking now, and be better able to concentrate on the program. We keep learning that it is a change of life style. But I guess my problems come from not wanting my life style and eating to change that much. That is what makes it work.

See you later. Ann
Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #27  
suz
suz

Morning Ladies
We sell our veggies as All Natural which is our way of getting around having to pay $500 to $1000 per year to get to call our veggies organic we only put compost, well aged manure and a cover crop of winter rye in the gardens We grow most of the basics plus about 4 or 5 differnt lettuces and this year we are adding mustard greens, Kale, rapinni, (similar to broccoli ) new raspberry canes and some vidal grapes we also grow watermelon, and cantouple I used to grow corn but there a two many racoons around here

I have missed the last few for exercise its been very cold with wind chills in the -25 area and - teens during the day its a good thing I have exercise class this morning

Take care ladies Suz
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #28  
Member Florida Chick

Suz- Your gardens sound great. Good luck with this years crop. All natural is good!

I haven't walked for several days now, and I need to get at it once again. It is frustrating to have so many things interfere, and the cold is one of them I suppose if I was accustomed to it, with the proper cold weather clothing, I wouldn't mind, but that is not the case here. And I am a wimp, since we would never get to the cold and wind that happens up north.

Hi everyone. What is going on? Had chorus rehearsal today, and I'd like to chuck the whole thing. I just don't have much enthusiasm right now. I hope that things perk up a bit.

Time for dinner. Ann
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #29  

G'day all,

My scales don't tell me I have lost much BUT....I had a spray tan this morning and I FEEL very thin

My daughter in law has regular spray tans and she talked me into it. It definitly is a better option then sunbaking and risking skin cancer.

The big thing in Adelaide is the start of the 4th cricket test being played at our picturesque Adelaide Oval, Australia v India. We have a dinner tomorrow night and then the first day of the 5 day test on Thursday. It is a very social occassion and I not only got myself a tan, I also bought a lovely black and white cotton skirt. It will be quite hot so the cotton skirt should be nice and cool.

Your veggies sound yummy Suz. How ridiculous the fees to sell your produce as 'organic', why the protection for the mass producers of all the non-organic produce????

Cheers
Maria
Old 01-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #30  
suz
suz

Hello Ladies
I really do enjoy the veggie garden it is satisfing to be able to go and pick the veggies right before you eat them nothing tastes as good as right out of the garden
Maria To be certified organic is not to protect the other producers but to be able to put that organic label on your produce and charge twice as much as the non organic I do not do that I sell my stuff lower than the stores and if we have a lot of stuff left and we have what we want I will take the extra stuff to the seniors and give it to them I know a lot of these people in our community and know its hard on a fixed income and they do enjoy the fresh stuff

Take care Suz