Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 365/345/half-marathon

Height: 5'5"

WOW! You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for all the tips and recommendations!
Inconceivable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I just have to add more to this.....
I've always used regular plain yogurt for my smoothies and for eating with fruit and sometimes with fruit and granola, and I agree that it's a bit tart. But I finally tried the FAGE plain yogurt and it's not tart! I had tried the Fage flavored yogurts a few weeks ago and didn't like them one bit, but the plain type is wonderful. I think I may be a convert!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #18  

This is motivation for the FF plain yogurt, Including Fat-Free Yogurt in Weight Loss Efforts May Trim Tummies Faster

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/102/106625.htm

I like using it with frozen berries (keeps the yogurt fresh in my lunch bag), cut up fruit and grains. Keeps forever too and more economical when purchased in the quart containers. When I am really ambigious I make my own like KAT, but on those days I wonder if may be close to the edge.

Like anything else, you may have to get used to it, I did, and like getting used to cottage cheese, I added lots of pineapple to start out.

Now, I just love it.

BARBARA - At least with Brown Cow yogurt, it was a good choice.

Also, sometimes you have to just wait a bit and try it again another way, trying different things can be so rewarding.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:55 AM   #19  

We love plain yoghurt.. we get a really super thick one through our organic coop from a local producer and we love to have it with some almond sprinkle (which I just make by grinding some whole roasted almonds and cinnamon in a coffee grinder or spice grinder) and fruit.... my daughter loves to have fruit wedges, then she dips it into the yoghurt and then into the sprinkle.. yummo
Marianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #20  

It may be an aquired taste! I am so happy after my trip to our new Trader Joes to buy Fage yogurt. I am 52, and remember when yogurt first arrived here in the stores. Fage reminds me of the homemade tangy yogurt we all ate and home made in the 1970s! I mix a tiny bit of low sugar blueberry or other organic jam in mine with walnuts. This is really what yogurt tastes like before we sugared it all up. I read a Time article not too long ago that stated that the yogurt industry sugared all the yogurt up to appeal to our increasing sweet tooths in this country, and turn the yogurt business into a billion dolllar plus business. Marrianna, The Diaries of Anias Nin were very popular in the 70's also. Luv your quote!
StarSpangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 256/217.8/135

Height: 5'5"

Default yogurt and frozen fruit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
Try buying a bag of frozen blueberries or blackberries, put some in a bowl, zap in the microwave just long enough to PARTIALLY thaw them, then add plain yogurt and stir.
Yes! That's what I do! I zap frozen mixed berries and add a package of Equal on top while they're still a little warm. I mix in the plain yogurt. I use lowfat rather than nonfat. I made the switch on the urging of my weight-loss counselor. She has finally convinced me that a little fat (the good kind) is OK and helps me feel satisfied and full longer.

I LOVE to mix it all up and put it in the freezer for a few hours! It's the ultimate treat! I confess that I like it so much that it rarely makes it to the freezer tho!

I also like the plain yogurt with a little Equal. Don't always have to have the fruit!

Yummy!

Mel M.
Trophy Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #22  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Default Plain Yogurt! REALLY!!!!

Plain Non Fat Yogurt is a very versatile and wonderful addition to recipes as well as blended with fruit, granola or wheat germ. I love it.

I make dressing, sauces and desserts with plain non-fat yogurt.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #23  
Mel

I like plain non-fat yogurt, but was curious about the Fage Greek yogurt after reading this thread. I bought some last night...and all I can say is ICK. Plus, it's twice the price of the regular stuff! I wonder if I can diguise it in pumpkin custard or something?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote