Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Homemade bread

So how do you all think I could make homemade bread to make it be a whole food? My recipe that I currently use has only whole wheat flour, yeast, a little sugar (to activate the yeast), water, some oil ... um, I can't think of the other ingredients. I put olive oil instead of vegetable oil into the bowl for the risings.

Can you think of anything else? I did a few searches on Ezekiel bread recipes and came up with a few good ones, but I don't have most of the ingredients and I want to make bread tonight.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How about using honey instead of sugar? If you don't have any, pop over and I'll give you some of mine.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Since you only have to use like 1 teaspoon of sugar or less to activate the yeast in an entire loaf of bread, I wouldn't sweat it. Use the sugar.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #4  

YES! Come on down and bring me some!

Actually you know what? I used that Splenda brown sugar blend. I should have put some honey in the dough and just dissolved the yeast in the brown Splenda, but I didn't. I will next time, though.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:10 PM   #5  

I was a little surprised to see the Ezekiel bread recipes use beans in the dough. Whodathunkit? Not me!!

Tomorrow I'm going to Whole Foods to buy some different flours and experiment.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Add some ground flax seeds - just knead them in.

I've made some great breads by adding in a 7-grain mix or some uncooked rolled oats (mmm, oatmeal bread). Just add in 1/2-1 cup (depending on the size of your recipe) of your grain and knead it in. It'll make the loaf heartier and give it a fiber kick.

Bread rises just as well with honey instead of sugar, but it'll cause your crust to get a little browner. Delicious.

What about adding some chopped nuts to the bread? It'll add some calories, but really up the nutritional value.

I'm picturing a dense whole wheat loaf, sweetened up a bit with some honey, studded with toasted sunflower seeds, maybe with some added oats and flax for whole-grain taste.

Are you sold on any particular kind of bread you want to make? You can take your basic dough recipe, roll out into a circle, and make foccacia, and then you can top it with tomatoes, garlic, and caramelized onions. Mmmm.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #7  

Good grief! You have just given me a zillion ideas!! Thanks so much!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katpo
So how do you all think I could make homemade bread to make it be a whole food? My recipe that I currently use has only whole wheat flour, yeast, a little sugar (to activate the yeast), water, some oil ... um, I can't think of the other ingredients. I put olive oil instead of vegetable oil into the bowl for the risings.

Can you think of anything else? I did a few searches on Ezekiel bread recipes and came up with a few good ones, but I don't have most of the ingredients and I want to make bread tonight.
Even if you use white flour and sugar it is still better than that crap in the store! have you ever look at the labels on the store bought bread? So many additives.
You can use whole wheat flour in your home made bread if you dont want white..

I usually make a typical yeast bread; I wish i could post the links but they wont allow it. If you pm me you address I can e-mail you some links on bread making.
chocolate kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #9  

I used whole wheat flour, brown sugar Splenda blend, powdered dry milk, oil, salt, and water. You're so right about the additives -- that's why I wanted to make my own. It'll just be to toast in the oven and top with all-fruit preserves or my natural peanut butter. Usually the family won't eat anything but the first slice off of it right out of the oven, so I take one loaf to work and keep one loaf at home for myself.

I am interested in the link to some good recipes, so I'm PM'ing you now. Thanks for the offer!