Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

These recipes sound really good. But, what's up with the Chicken thighs? I am a chicken BREAST person. Do you think the length of time that it has to cook would dry out the breast, so that's why they use the thigh? I guess I could experiment.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #17  
EACH DAY A NEW BEGINNING!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

You might want to try out the "Fix-it-and -Forget-it" cook books, they are all for slow cookers. There are ones for about every diet need Diabetic, healthy, vegetable lovers, etc. I have the "Healthy" and the "Diabetic" ones. They are both wonderful!!! Haven't found a bad recipe yet, of course if they have lots of stuff we don't like we don't try it...But most are really easy and ordinary stuff in the recipes...Just a sugestion, you can get them at Wal-Mart or on Amazon.com whichever is easier for you...Oh and they all tell you all the stats on the recipe so you know exactly how much of everything you are getting.
tryingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I usually cook with chicken breasts too, but in the slow cooker they tend to get overdone and rubbery, so I use thighs for crockpot recipes only.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
I usually cook with chicken breasts too, but in the slow cooker they tend to get overdone and rubbery, so I use thighs for crockpot recipes only.
Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. Hmmm. I hate thighs.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #20  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I love my crockpot. I just bought the 3 in 1 from Hamilton Beach. Right now there is a soy chorizo lentil soup cooking. So far, the only thing I don't like about it is the start function. My other one gives me an option of 8 or 10 hours on low and 4 or 6 hours on high and it will automatically go off. Poor boobalah had to go by the house before his hand therapy appointment and hit the "low" button. Hmm. I wonder if I can put it on a timer.

I'm going to see if my library has that cookbook as well.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #21  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks for all these recipes. I'm going to try some of them. How do you figure out serving size? I know it says serves 4 - 6 etc. However, do you take a measuring cup and dip it out into individual containers to figure it out?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

For the one with chicken thighs, I'm going with thighs. I put 6 thighs in, so 6 servings. A thigh, some sauce, on rice. The sauce is just tomatoes/broccoli/onions/broth.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #23  
I wanna be a loser, too

I've got some ribs in the 6 qt size bowl today. I thick sliced some onion and put that on the bottom so the meat won't steam in its own juice. I put some of boobalah's BBQ rub on them last night and kept them in a baggie over night. Haven't decided what sides to have with it. I want a break from the normal potato salad and cole slaw. Maybe some sauteed greens and break down and have some garlic bread.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #24  

Hey guys - sorry I got super sick last week and didn't have to time to report back on what I made! So far, I have made the following:

Chicken cacciatore with broccoli - this was just okay. The chicken really was tender, but the sauce never thickened and was kind of brothlike. If I made it again, I might add a can of tomato paste. It did have a good taste and the broccoli was nice.

Caldo Vera - this turned out really good. Had a nice lemony taste. I added a little parmesan cheese and ate it with bread. Yummy. The potatoes were just okay, I might sub sweet potatoes next time. Or just use 1 potato and add another can of chickpeas.

Last edited by Glory87; 02-03-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #25  

Ohmygod, I made lamb with apricots today - it was AMAZING. The lamb was a tiny bit dry, but I had to work a little late so it was in the crockpot longer than I had planned. Absolutely delicious and on the definite "MUST MAKE AGAIN" list. I served it over quinoa with some green beans on the side.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #26  
I wanna be a loser, too

What is the recipe for the lamb? I'm not overly fond of red meat anymore but boobalah wants it. I think that lamb might be good since we are having a rainly weekend.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #27  

I'll type it out for you tonight

If you want to hit the store, the ingredients were (off the top of my head):

toasted cumin seeds, toasted coriander seeds (I just used powdered coriander), lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, lamb chunks, apricots, raisins, 1/2 cup chicken broth (maybe could have used a little more broth), chopped onion.

Last edited by Glory87; 02-06-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #28  

So sorry it took me so long to post this!

Moroccan Style Lamb with Raisins and Apricots
8 servings (I didn't get 8 servings out of mine, but I used less lamb than recommended)

Ingredients

1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds (I used powdered coriander)
1-2 tbs olive oil
2 lbs stewing lamb cut into 1" chunks (my package had 1.35 lbs and it worked out)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp minced ginger root (I used a little more)
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp salt (I omitted)
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
1 piece cinnamon stick (I left this out, since I didn't have any!)
1/2 cup chicken stock (I would probably double this next time)
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cop finely chopped cilantro (my bf is one of those people who taste cilantro like soap - so I left this out)

In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast cumin and coriander seeds, stirring, until frangrant and cumin seeds just begin go brown, about 3 minutes. Immediately transfer to a mortor or spice grinder and grind. Set aside.

In the same skillet heat 1 tbs oil over med high heat for 30 seconds. Add lamb, in batches, and cook (adding more oil if necessary - I didnt need to), until browned about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.

Reduce heat to medium, add onion to a pan and cook, stirring until softened. Add ginger, lemon zest, salt, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and reserved cumin and coriander and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add stock and bring to a boil. Transfer to stone cooker stoneware, stir well.

Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours, until lamb is tender. Add lemon juice an dhoney and stir well. Season to taste with salt, if using. Stir in apricots and raisins. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes, until fruit is warmed through. Garnish with cilantro, discard cinnamon stick.

Calories 246
Protein 20.7
carb 22.5
fat 8.2
sat 2.7
mon 4.1
poly 0.8
fiber 2.3
sodium 418
cholesterol 65

Excellent source of B12, zinc. Good source of phosoporus, magnesium and iron. Source of Vitamins A and B6.

There's also this little note about the benefits of apricots - apricots deepend the nutritional value of this recipe by adding fiber, vitamin A, potassium and iron. Apricots also include a wide variety of carotenoids, the consumption of which has been linked to various health benefits. Enjoying apricots in a stew has added health benefit since their beta carotene becomes more available to the body when they are cooked.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #29  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

wow those all look really good! i love my crock pot but don't use it that often. i even have a couple crock pot cookbooks! i think i need to go dust them off... hmm...
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote