Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Wk of Nov 27/06

Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving holiday. I had a good week off but my eating I'm sure will reflect something different even though I tried to be careful and got in my activity. I'm tired of the rollercoaster that I've been on the past 10 months.

In any case, I'm sitting here at work and haven't gotten too much done. I had a meeting that lasted almost 2 hours and I'm zapped. Had my BP checked at the health center and it was up (130/89) which is the highest it's been since before June! They want me to come back and have it checked again later this week.

Next week I head to Chicago--can't wait to do some shopping

So how are you all doing?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Hi, Melissa. I'm glad you enjoyed your time off. Meetings are tiring aren't they? Oh boy--shopping in Chicago--that should be great fun.

We had a nice Thanksgiving with some friends. Friday I was out shopping and it was fun--I'm done. Now on to baking and decorating. The play I'm in is going fairly well, but we just aren't drawing big audiences. DH and I got some golf in (9 holes). On Sunday, DH ran a marathon and then we visited my parents who are staying at a timeshare about 1 1/2 hours from here.

How is everyone else?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #3  

Gosh, where is everyone this week?

I actually stayed home last night and it was a good feeling. I fell asleep at 8:30 though. Hmmm

Tonight I have a town committee meeting. I'm on the civil service committee. I got a frantic call from an acquaintance at church who asked me to bake some cookies for a reception. I told her I would; that shouldn't be too hard. It will be a practice run for the annual Christmas baking.

I saw a photo of Ernest on lala's blog--he is such a cute dog.

Hello to Susan, Pam, austingal, Liz, and anyone else I may have forgotten.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #4  

I'm here - I posted to the other thread yesterday by mistake.

Am still struggling with the cold. Day 8 of antibiotics. Feels like I haven't run in months instead of just weeks. My weight is down (as I said in the other post) so it must be muscle loss. It will be good to finally get back to a regular exercise routine but I'm not going to push it because this cold is a monster. It might hit again if I'm not careful.

Lisa: I saw Murder in the Cathedral on Saturday nite. Do you know it? It's about the murder of Thomas Becket by Henry I (think it was I, maybe II). Anyway, an acquaintance was in it so I got a ticket. A tad heavier than my normal preference but I still enjoyed it. BTW - If you went to bed at 8:30 pm and slept through, then you needed it!

Melissa: I sense your frustration. Maybe you should just relax, keep doing what you're doing, and try not to obsess. You've given me that same advice in the past, and it's good advice.

Started to decorate last nite. Actually, all I did was unpack all of my nutcrackers. Given that it's a new house, it will take a bit of time to figure out how it all fits together. It's fun - seeing the possibilities.

You all have been so supportive of me this past year. I want you to know that I am feeling much better about the break-up, more accepting and able to see the benefits of moving on. There were many good things about the relationship, but there was also a serious downside. For a long time, I chose not to see the bad. It worked for a while but eventually, as you know, the truth bubbles to the top. I can honestly say that while I am still sad about the loss of the relationship, I no longer want it (if that makes sense). It's more the loss of a lifestyle, I think, and getting used to a new one.

I'm looking forward to happier times in 2007.

Susan
Old 11-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #5  

Susan, I've not seen Murder at the Cathedral, but the Thomas a Becket story is a sad one. The way I understand the story is that the King made an offhand remark about how he wished Thomas would just go away or something. Then some of his sycophants heard this and decided to kill him.

What a monster cold. I hope it's not showing up in Florida. There has been some flu here which is early.

You're welcome for the support. That's what we're here for. You've been through a lot. I understand your comment: I can honestly say that while I am still sad about the loss of the relationship, I no longer want it (if that makes sense).

You have a nutcracker collection? One of my friends does, also. How many do you have? I have only 3 of them, but I've always liked them.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:44 PM   #6  

Actually, I was thinking of joining a nutcracker support group. They are addicting. I don't know the exact number but it is in the 25 - 30 range. And that is after dividing up the collection and leaving Mark with the ones he had when I met him. He always said he was sorry he got me started... Especially when I came home with the one that's 3.5 ft tall.

Lately, I've become a little more selective. Not just any old cracker for this nut!!

Susan
Old 11-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #7  

Hi ladies,

Sorry it's been so long since I posted but this shoulder problem has been very difficult to deal with. I went to the doc today and we are going to try and treat with physical therapy and hopefully that will work. I really am trying to avoid surgery but I can't take the pain and lack of mobility much longer. Unfortunately all this is going on during the holiday season when everything is so hectic.

Melissa I'm sorry about the problems your having with your weight. I can totally relate my weight is now higher than it's ever been and I'm looking at trying to loose 10 lbs. I can't believe how things are so out of control. I'm sure at least part of the gain is due to the meds I'm taking for the shoulder. Argh...I hate the way my clothes fit right now.

Lisa that's nice of you to bake the cookies for the reception. I remember last year you gave me the recipe for making cookies....I think they were called forgotten cookies. My kids liked them. I'll be making them again this year.

Susan It sounds like you are in a good place. Divorce is one of the most difficult things you can experience in life. I certainly can understand your comment about the loss of the relationship. I've been there myself. I'm so glad you doing better.

Hi lala

Well ladies I must sign off for now but I will be back tomorrow. I missed "talking" to you guys!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #8  

Good evening!!!

The weather here has been unseasonably warm--today it was 65! Hard to believe it's the end of November. The weekend is looking quite a bit different--Friday the temps are supposed to drop from 66 down to 36 and there's snow in the forecast! I'm glad we got our Christmas lights up this past weekend!

Susan: I can totally understand your comments and I'm glad you've become more comfortable with your new lifestyle. It's definitely something that takes time and doesn't happen overnight. I'm glad you're in a good place! I have a smoker collection and every time I see one I end up adding another one to our already large collection. You're right, they're addicting. I also collect hand blown Christmas ornaments. Going to Chicago next week will be a challenge because the Christkindlmarket will have lots of both!

Lisa: The board has been awfully quiet--I wonder where Lala is at. My son's high school is putting on the show "Urinetown" and there's been a little bit of controversy over the title and it being done at a Catholic high school. The students who are participating, along with their director, said that people have to get past the title because it's really good. I'm bummed because they are holding the production Dec. 7-10 and that's when I'm in Chicago!

Pam: I'm sorry to hear that your shoulder is still giving you trouble. Hopefully the physical therapy and treatments will help so that you don't have to have surgery. It's hard because you never realize how many muscles are attached! My weight has been fluctuating 3-5# and it's been driving me crazy. This week I was down 3.4#. I'm just plugging along.

In 2 weeks there's going to be enhancements to the program so get to a meeting the week of December 10th to get the info

Not much else going on here--it's been a little stressful with all the eating out. We also had to have our 15 year old poodles put to sleep on Saturday. They were having so much trouble; the one couldn't see and her poor back legs kept going out on her and our black one couldn't hear and had a hard time going up and down the steps. It was so hard! I know I don't want another pet for a while.

We have our university Christmas party this Saturday and other than that nothing else this weekend (thank goodness!). Next week I have a really short one at work because I'm off Wednesday afternoon and then Thursday night DH and I head to Chicago and come back on Monday. I'm looking forward to Michigan Avenue and my usual haunts!

Hi to Austingal, Liz, Julie, Lala!! Hope you're all doing okay!
Old 11-30-2006, 01:39 PM   #9  

Hi ladies,

I can't believe the temperature outside is 65 and tomorrow should be close to the same. Unfortunately the cold weather is in the forecast for the weekend and next week and presumably until April.
Went to PT today and they really stretched my shoulder, it's quite painful right now, but hopefully it's a good pain and my shoulder is loosening up a little.
I think this weekend we may put up the tree and hopefully get a little more Christmas shopping done. I like to collect angel ornaments and I'm hoping to pick up a few more this weekend at a craft fair I'll be going to with Lauren.

Melissa You had to have both poodles euthanized at the same time? I can't imagine how difficult that must have been. I'm not sure I could deal with a new pet right away after going through that.
I can't wait to find out about the planned WW enhancements. I'm ready to get serious about getting my weight back under control. I also plan on joining the winter meltdown at work....helps keep me honest.
I almost went to see Urinetown on Broadway last February with a group of people from work. Some of my friends went and said it was excellent. The name however is a bit of a turnoff.

Hi to Susan, Lisa and Lala and everyone else. Hope you're all doing well. Talk to you soon.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #10  

Susan, a 3 1/2 foot tall Nutcracker. He must be something. Some of them are beautiful with their different outfits.

Pam, so sorry about your shoulder. I had no idea you were having such problems. I remember that you mentioned it in the past. Was it a specific accident that caused it? Yes, angel ornaments are pretty. I have several on my tree.

Melissa, I am so sorry about your dogs. How horrible to put both of them down at the same time. Congrats on the weight loss. Boy, you are truly on a roller coaster. I envy you your trip to Chicago. What a fun city and such great shopping. Think of me while you're shopping. The theater that I usually perform in did Urinetown last year. It is a strange play, but it has a good message. I can't believe that high schools are attempting it because it is a challenging show to put on.

Speaking of shopping, many of my GFs are going on a bus to the Sawgrass Mills mall in south Florida to shop. I cannot go because of the play that I'm in. Bummer! Oh well, I am done with my shopping, so it's probably best. I wrapped last night, so now on to baking.

The show I'm in, The Gifts of the Magi, is going fairly well, but we're not drawing an audience. There are several reasons: many, many holiday shows in this area and a lack of publicity. I told one of the other actors that I won't be doing shows for a while. It gets to you when you work so hard and then no one comes to see the show. Grrr.

It's very warm here, ladies, and we're having a lot of rain. This is our dry season, so it's different.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:06 AM   #11  

First of all, a big hug for Melissa. I cannot imagine how hard it was to put both doggies down at the same time. There must be a void in the house these past few days... Congrats on the loss, BTW.

Another hug - but not too hard cause I don't want to hurt you - to Pam. Being in constant pain must make it difficult to just function, let alone get into the spirit of things. Hope you find some relief soon.

Last, but certainly not least, my last hug is for Lisa. I can totally relate to the disappointment of small audiences after you've worked so hard. Too bad you'll miss the shopping trip, but as you say, it's probably for the best since you don't need anything.

I went shopping on a whim last nite after work and came home with a pair of pants (black, of course), a blouse and three sweaters. I think one of the sweaters is going back; I like it but probably won't get a lot of wear out of it and the days of collecting things to hang in my closet are over.

I love everything else though. One of the sweaters is that dark Christmas green with a V neck and beaded yarn that criss crosses the neck - almost like a self-necklace. It is very pretty. The blouse cost me $10 because it had a make-up smear on the collar. Made sure I could return it, then brought it home and washed it. At last check, the stain was gone. Yippee!! It's really cool - white with a band of black lace around the midriff.

I really have to stay away from the mall.

Susan
Old 12-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #12  

Good morning ladies!

Thanks for the hugs It was really hard to have both dogs euthanized at the same time but we knew that one would not survive without the other since they have been together since they were pups. It has been strange because I keep expecting to see them wandering around. The void hits at different times. I'm sure it will get better with time.

Has anyone hear heard of the book, "Mindless Eating--Why We Eat More Than We Think"? I bought it a couple of weeks ago and have gotten some really good tips. I've been incorporating the half plate rule this past week and it's been going good. The idea is to fill half your plate with veggies, one-quarter with protein, 1/4 with starch. If you're having chili for instance, think salad to go with it. I have to admit that by doing this I'm feeling more satisfied. I'm also becoming more aware of what I'm eating and why.

Another good tip he has is with buffets/eating out--pick 2 (appetizer, drink, dessert, roll) and if you're at a buffet only put 2 items on your plate at one time and that will eliminate going back and forth too many times. We have our big Christmas party this weekend and I'm going to use the half plate rule and pick 2.

There's a website that you can find out more info mindlesseating.org and there are links to magazine articles and even an excerpt from the book. The author is the director of the Cornell University Food and Brand Lab and they did some interesting experiments. Anyway, don't want to sound too much like an ad but I'm finding some good tips with getting through the holidays. He had an article on msnbc.com about suriving the 3 Diet Danger Months.

Pam: The weather here is still balmy, although it's been raining since last night. The temps are up to 61 and from what I've seen for our forecast the change should be arriving around dinnertime! It's looking like it's going to be quite blustery and cold the next few days. Hopefully we won't get hit as hard as the midwest! I hope your shoulder is feeling better!

Lisa: I'm just hoping the weather doesn't get in the way of my trip! I'm looking forward to shopping. I saw a blurb in our paper that people were picketing in front of Marshall Field's/Macy's to bring back the Marshall Field's name to the store. I don't know why they couldn't call it Marshall Field's especially since it is such a landmark in Chicago. I did see that they are still decorating the windows.

Susan: Sounds like you found some great clothes! I love it when I find something I feel good in. I haven't been shopping at our mall in a while--lately it seems that I run in and out pretty quickly. A lot of the colors that they have been featuring are colors I can't wear so that can be a good thing in terms of saving $$.

Stay warm & dry everyone!!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:49 PM   #13  

It is going to be 84 here today. That is too warm for this time of year. We have our A/C on again.

Melissa, I too have heard about the picketing. We had some upset here when Burdines was changed to Macy's. I must admit, though, that Macy's has much better sales and brands. It is true that Marshall Fields is an icon in The Windy City. Those are some good eating tips. Another one I like is to use a smaller plate. I serve DH his food on a dinner plate and I use a luncheon plate. It does help.

Susan, The buys sound good. I bought more fall/winter clothes recently because I realized last week when it was cold that I had mostly short-sleeved or sleeveless tops. I was too chilly for them. I also found some nice brown slacks (Jones New York) that were really long--probably why they were on the sale rack.

Tonight and tomorrow night I have my show. Tomorrow I'm picking up the tree (DH is working). I'm also invited to a pot luck in our little town. It sounds like fun. On Sunday I have the reception at our church and then a rehearsal for my singing group in the afternoon.

What is everyone else doing?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:32 PM   #14  

quick drive by before I head out the door for the weekend.

I'm going out to dinner with a couple who recently moved into my neighbourhood. They're actually friends from way back; we've been trying to get together but that cold meant I had to turn them down 3 times!!

Tomorrow morning I get my hair cut, then taking my friend's kids to a tree-lighting ceremony around the supper hour. I may go to a movie tomorrow nite; there are a few out now that I'd like to see, including Bobby, The Queen and The Nativity.

No plans yet for Sunday except that I need to get out and run. I will try 5 km and take it really easy since it's been three weeks.

Have a good one all. See you on Monday.

Susan
Closed Thread