Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:41 AM   #1  
Just getting started

S/C/G: 235/223/140

Height: 5'7"

Default First weigh in. how depressing.

Okay, I'm trying to celebrate that fact that I had a loss. But...it's hard because here it was my first week and I tried so hard to stay on plan and I only lost 1.4 pounds. 1.4?? I was hoping for 3. Maybe it's because it's my TOM. Maybe I just didn't eat as well as I thought I had.

What is really depressing is the lady who joined the same time I did lost 7.8 pounds. Great. I mean, I am really happy for her, but dang. She obviously lost my weight, too!

Sigh...okay, no pity party for me today. I lost. I'm 1.4 pounds closer to my goal, which I wouldn't be if I hadn't joined WW last week.

Anybody else out there have a low first week?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

There could be many reasons:

1) sodium laden foods - cause water retention
2) TOM - average woma gains 4-7 pounds during TOM
3) exercise - if you start or change your activity you can retain water
4) if you already were hydrated when you started you won't lose the water weight that you may have in your body because there is none to lose
5) average weight loss OP is .5-2 pounds per week...you are well within tht range
6) how much do you really have to lose plays a factor also

The lady that lost nearly 8 had much water to lose
Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Aileen - My first week this time around was 4 3/4 - I was SHOCKED! I have started WW at least 4 or 5 times (meetings and true sign up - other times so many lost count) and I have NEVER lost that much the first week. It's usually more like your first weigh in. Now the next 2 weigh ins were 1/4 and 1/2 lb - talk about discouraging. But you know what I didn't let it get me down this time. I came into WW this time with a whole new mind set. This is not a race. I CANNOT compare myself to others. My body will do what it will do. Those weeks that I had 1/4 or 1/2 I could have tweaked the program a little better but I didn't. I just put it behind me and looked ahead. I know this is a lifestyle change.

I remember the last time I was in WW and I was actually sitting in a meeting crying because I had a gain and I felt so sorry for myself. The leader came up to me afterwards and said to write this down "If you compare, you will despair". I have kept that quote in my materials and right up front. It has become part of my mantra.

Hon - Losing weight is one of the hardest things I have EVER done in my life. Everything seems easy at this point. I work at it every day of the week. It's been much easier this time because of my mindset. If it takes me two years, it takes me two years. I did not get to this weight in a few short weeks. This is a lifetime of bad eating habits. So if it takes a bit, it'll take me a bit.

In the meantime, come here for some support. There are people at every stage of their Weight loss journey. Someone here will have something that helps. Believe me. Have faith. Enjoy the journey. Life is not about the end, it's about the journey. Hugs and now it's a new week. Learn from what you did last week and figure out how to fine tune it. No one is perfect at this journey.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #4  

My first week I loss 1 little pound. I followed the program exactly. I did not even use any flex points. I even exercised that week. I thought for sure as overweight as I was I would have had a huge loss. Including that water weight that everyone seems to lose their first week. Well not me, it was a sad 1 pound. But the next week I loss 4 pounds. The second week I used all of my flex points, barely exercised, and cut out all the high salt foods.

You had a great loss for having TOM. During my TOM I gain up to 7 lbs and that is really depressing for a weigh in.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 256.6/178.4/165

Height: 5'9"

Aileen, Don't get discouraged! Just remember you lost, that is what is important. Although 1.4 pounds may not seem like a lot right now, it is huge. I am proud of you and you should be proud of yourself.

Thank you for the words of encouragement on my post. Maybe we could be weight loss buddies and help each other thru this!!

regina
Old 11-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/174.6/140

Height: 5'8"

Don't get down on yourself. A loss of any amount is great especially if it's your TOM. Just keep at the plan and remind yourself next time will be better. Stay focused on the positives, your doing a good thing for YOU, as the weeks go by your clothes will fit differently, you'll have more energy than before, and your self-esteem will soar.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/177.5/135

Height: 5'6"

Ok girl, heres the deal. HOORAY!!!!!!!! You lost 1.4 lbs!!!!!!! that is awesome!!!! Please don't get discouraged, you probably didn't lose more because of TOM, but the fact is you lost, you are taking control, and you're here. Great job!

Joyce
Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #8  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I also only lost 1.4 my first week doing WW. I was a little discouraged because my SIL who I joined with lost 3.6. I had followed the plan exactly and thought that it was unfair that she lost more than I did. I love the quote that Rosegarden shared, "If you compare, you will despair." I really could have used that my first week. I stayed with the program and my weekly losses have fluctuated, but overall have averaged 1.8-2.2 a week. I just keep reminding myself that I didn't gain all this weight in a couple of months and I can't expect to loose it in a couple of months. Slow and steady wins the race! Congrats on your loss! Keep it up!!
Old 11-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #9  
Just getting started

Ladies, thank you so so much for all of your encouragement and support. I truly appreciate it more than you know. All of your words rang so true to me and now, several hours later, I have accepted that I lost what I lost and it doesn't matter how anyone else there did today. What matters is that I am now 1.4 pounds closer to my goal of being healthy, strong, and a heck of a lot lighter.

Thank you Thank you Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart!
Old 11-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 235/226/144

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hey girlie!

You should be WAY PROUD OF YOURSELF!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME? Don't believe me? Go and pick up 6 sticks of butter and see how much it weighs. Then look at all that fat and know that it's not on you anymore and will NEVER be there again!

I know it's hard not to be discouraged, but chin up! We're gonna do this!

Erika
Old 11-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/185.7/160

Height: 5'8

When I had my first WI & didn't lose as much as some others I went out & bought margaine...sticks of margarine & stacked it up on my kitchen counter. Do you realize you have lost almost 6 sticks of margarine. When I looked at what I lost sitting there on my counter, I realized what a great accomplishment that was!! A loss is a loss.....and every single one, reagrdless of how much, should be celebrated!!! You go girl!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #12  
Just getting started

Thanks so much! I am actually very encouraged by my loss now. I can't wait til next week!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 166.5/166.5/135

Height: 5'5"

Honey, TOM makes me gain 2 pounds every time! So when I'm losing an average of 2 pounds a week, on TOM weeks I don't loose ANYTHING.

Hang in there.. you are doing AWESOME!!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #14  
One Martini at a Time...

YAY Blue!~ 1.4 lost for your first week is TERRIFIC!
Don't compare yourself to anyone else - you never know what they did / didn't do in their week to lose thier weight.

TOM definately makes a difference, but I'm impressed that you LOST at your TOM. I usually gain 4-5 lbs (YUCKO).

Keep it up because it sounds like you are making wonderful positive changes.
I would be that next week, you'll have a nice loss as well, after TOM is over.

You go girl!

T minus 3 days 2.5 hrs til my WI, and it's my TOM so I'm not looking foward to it
Closed Thread