Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #1  

Smile New here

Hello, ladies My name is Debi and I am new here. I am starting WW tomorrow, Feb. 1. I am excited and very scared. I have never tried this before and I am very shy. But I am determined to get healthy. For myself this time. I have always tried for other people. My husband, even thoguht he says he loves me the way I am..don't they all say that..LOL. For my kids, I don't want them to have a fat mom. They already get teased and it makes me feel awful. I am joing a gym on Friday, payday. I have never done that either. But I am losing a battle here and I need to fight real hard to win. Last time I weighed myself was about two and a half years ago and I was 330 lbs. I know I weigh more now and I am really scared if I don't do something now, I won't be around to be a mom to my kids and that is the scariest thing to me. They are my life and I want more than anything to see them grow up. I need motivation and support. I have been reading here for a little while now and you are all such big inspirations to me. I really believe if I try my hardest this will work. I will post my weight and goals after I go to my first meeting. Wish me luck.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:16 AM   #2  

Debi,
Good luck on your weight loss!!!! These boards do have some real motivation. I hope you go to the meetings and have a good leader that really makes a difference. You need to do this for yourself. If I can help you out with support, recipes, ideas..etc. just send me a message.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Debi - if I may be so presumptuous -

a little advice: don't get discouraged at the gym. If the one you go to is full of body builders and hiphop girls, find one where you are a better fit. I tried a step aerobics class once where it was supposed to be a beginners' class, but the teensy girls in urban wear at the front of the room who were supposed to be teaching couldn't resist showing off and taking the music to ridiculously fast heights, and the class attracted all sorts of people who were definitely NOT beginners. In the meantime, ladies of a certain size would join, thinking this was something fun they could do and lose weight at the same time, and they were ignored and couldn't possibly do the fancy steps being demonstrated at the front of the class. I joined the Y recently and started a step aerobics class there. The instructor is about my own age, does not have a perfect body, and encourages and teaches us all along the way. I actually had fun in class. I hope the gym you have joined has supportive staff and that it works for you, but if it doesn't, as I said, don't get discouraged. I'm rooting for you here, I too want you to be with your kids as they grow up. Great big hugs to you!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #4  
Starbucks Addict!

Height: 5'4

I understand about wanting to keep your kids from being teased, but you have to do it for yourself. For a few years, I wanted to lose weight so my kids wouldnt get teased, but never lost weight, well I did, but gained it back. So now im doing it for myself! And im doing great so far! If you want someone to talk to, PM me and ill give you my email addy. Its hard, I know but you can do it! As for the gym, WTG!!! Thinfor2minutes is right, find one that you feel comfortable in. Ive tried going to a few gyms, that you basically have to work out and get fit somewhere else..THEN ..come back to that gym to basically show off!!

Ohh and p.s.. I have a Cody and Madison too!!!

Randee
Old 02-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #5  
Eat well, Live well

Debi, it sounds like you already have some pretty powerful motivation...your kids! The WW week one booklet has some good things to help you stay motivated, like "anchors". Hang a picture of your kids on your fridge door, and your pantry door! You can do it!
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #6  

Welcome and good luck to you, Debi!

I second the advice from Thin4FiveMinutes... mostly about the supportive staff. The gym I go to is extremely varied as far as weight and fitness levels are concerned... it's a lot less intimidating when there aren't only body builders and waifs around.

You'll have to post after your first meeting! I want to hear all about it... I really like Weight Watchers.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #7  

Thank you all so much for the support. It's just what I need. I am doing this for myself now. My kids are my biggest motivation. I will definately post after my first meeting..which I think they have one tonight. They only have an 800 number so there really isn't anyone I can ask. I will just go and see, I guess. Does anyone know what the initial cost is? Thank you all again for your wonderful words of encouragement.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome debi!

I believe the price varies from state to state so I'm not sure. Up here where I live it is about $40.00 to join but that includes your first meeting that night. I think it is less expensive in the U.S.

You are doing great by acknowledging your health needs and taking the steps to get started. WW is a great plan as it helps you learn to eat properly on a daily basis. It's more of a lifestyle change than a "diet" (in my opinion anyway ) WW helped me eat better and learn portion control.

Just a suggestion but it may help you if you can find family friendly recipes so that you can enjoy dinner with your family and not have to make separate meals. I find that this cuts down on some work and tempations for you and enables your family to eat well too and you all benefit. WW has some great cookbooks and there are a lot of recipes in this forum too.

Good luck with your weight loss journey
Old 02-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #9  

Hi Debi:

Best of luck on your weight loss journey. Here's the WW rules I try to reach:

1. Be prepared...if I come home hungry and I don't know what i'll be eating for dinner, it spells disaster. Or at least have some frozen dinners on hand.

2. Drink your water and be prepared to pee alot!

3. Exercise as you can. I'm just starting to do this now.

Another motivating factor is the eating habits you'll pass down to your kids. Now that I'm dieting and DH is dieting my kids are eating more fruit and yogurt instead of reaching for cookies all the time....although they still do that at times!

I wish you the best of luck and make sure you join a support group. Look around for a group with similar goals and then just leap in. I post my menu from the previous day in a group and it helps keep me honest.
Closed Thread