Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2001, 12:16 PM   #1  
Pink Thingy

can anyone out there explain to me why WW charge for missed weeks. I am just curious, but I am not trying to upset anyone or start WW3 or criticize the policy. I have never been charged for missed weeks (in my previous life), but I just want to understand the logic/reasoning for being charged when you don't attend and have not received any material.

Please don't anyone get upset, I just want to understand. Love and peace to everyone out there
Old 04-21-2001, 01:12 PM   #2  
It's a life long struggle

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Good Question

I would like to know why to. Do you think maybe that is a motivatator just to get your there? (Although I know that is probably not the "real" reason)

Personally I think it sucks that you have to pay if you are not there. Why??? I can totally understand paying for when you are there....but....

(Sorry if this offends anyone....but sheesh....)

Angie
Old 04-21-2001, 02:19 PM   #3  
Find a Way

I think WW does intend it to be a motivator. People who go every week tend to have more success than those who don't go because they know there might be a gain. Maybe you'll be more likely to go anyway if you know you will have to pay. It's when you have a bad week that you really need to get to a meeting.

However, you now have a choice and don't have to go every week. If you know you will miss meetings on a regular basis (for reasons other than guilt) then why not choose the liberty plan? I know it's a higher per/week charge, but you only pay it when you attend a meeting and you don't have to pay for those you've missed.
Old 04-21-2001, 04:11 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

Just a thought remember that some of the franchises do not offer the liberty plan. My region offers a yearly membership for $50 so that you don't have to pay for missed meetings.
Old 04-21-2001, 09:44 PM   #5  

Wow, $50 for a year is a great deal! We don't have that here. We don't have the Liberty plan either!The onle options I got were $12 /week or $99 for 10 weeks and no registration fee.
I think you're right WW Queen, you have to pay for missed meeting so you won't just blow it off if you think you gained. I know I missed a meeting because I had a tire blowout on the way. I totally expected to pay but when I told my leader what happened she told me not to worry about it! I know they let other people miss without paying sometimes,too.
Old 04-21-2001, 11:02 PM   #6  

Default Missed week 'coupons'

This morning was my very first meeting at WW, and I found it very informative. One of the things I discovered, quite by accident, I think, because someone just happened to mention it casually, is that if you attend meetings for 8 consecutive weeks, you will be given a little coupon to hold onto just in case you do have to miss a week. The leader said that one woman has 3 saved up, and will be using them for when she gets back from vacation, etc...

I attend in Canada, so maybe the rules aren't the same as in the US, but it's worth checking out at your next meeting. Maybe you're owed some of these coupons and don't even know it.

Christine
Old 04-21-2001, 11:27 PM   #7  

I agree that making you pay for every meeting might be a motivator, however if you have a valid reason for missing, well.... guess it is 6 of one/half dozen deal.

We do not have the liberty plan where I go, or I am just too new to know about it. I definitely like the idea of getting a coupon after attending 8 straight weeks. Let's face it, most of us aren't going to make absolutely every meeting, sick child, sick yourself, work, etc. That coupon would be neat.

For me, the challenge of an eating plan is being accountable. I lost 40 pounds on my own, then found it and about 15 more. I need the structure of knowing that I will be weighing in once a week. I also have not been one of WW greatest supporters, but in all things, you have to have some knowledge. I am really enjoying the challenge of staying in my points, have been hungry and have started learning about the free foods. Am drinking V8 right now!!

Elaine
Old 04-22-2001, 07:30 AM   #8  
foxy lifetimer

Hi All;
I can only speak for NY WW... I work for WW in NY... We give you passes that are in the big book that stay at the center for 3 missed meetings every 6 months...The reason we charge for missed meetings is, because we lowered our prices from around 3 years ago..We now charge $9.95 per meeting for the loyalty plan..When I was a member, I used to pay $13 per meeting..They didn't have the Loyalty or Liberty plan...Now you can do the Liberty plan for $13 and not pay for missed meetings..The only thing is, if you miss 4 consecutive meetings, your membership is terminated..Hope this can help you...
~~~JODI~~~~
Old 04-22-2001, 10:30 AM   #9  

I believe WW's policy has always been to charge for missed meetings. Way back when the meetings were only $2, that policy was in effect. Sometimes if people were away for a few weeks, they would re-join rather than pay for missed meetings. But the liberty plan does offer the passes for some missed meetings.
Old 04-22-2001, 01:01 PM   #10  

I think it's basic profits.
Admittedly, we're all going to miss a meeting now and then. Think of all the individuals across the country missing a meeting this very day. At $12 a head, WW is missing out on a ton of money. By charging for missed meetings, they have a chance to earn it back.
The policy does promote consistency among members and aids their weight loss but it also helps keep the company in the black by getting $12 per member every meeting, with the exception of re-joiners.
I think it's just fiscal protection measures.
There are over 30 WW centers in Western Washington, where I live. If one member is missing todays meeting at each of these centers, WW loses close to $400. Now imagine that on a National and International scale, especially since most centers have more than one meeting per day. WW could lose a million dollars in a week. If they charge for missed meetings, they lose nothing.
By letting members re-join at a lower fee than paying for two weeks, they do lose some money but offer an incentive to come back, which will earn the company more money in the long run than the member not returning at all due to the expense.
WW is a wonderful organization but they're still a business and have to turn a profit.
Old 04-22-2001, 06:30 PM   #11  
That darlin' Texas gal!

Howdy all,

I agree that WW is a for-profit business. Gee whiz, that's why they have all those fancy products and nasty 2 points bars. (I'd much rather have a cheaper 3 pt Luna bar)

But the weekly incentive is certainly a factor in keeping me accountable.

RE: Costs here in Central Texas -we pay $12 per meeting. And I can buy 12 weeks worth of tickets for about $10.50 per meeting.

Just my $.02
Old 04-25-2001, 08:45 AM   #12  
Pending Email Confirmation

Christine, we do have missed meeting vouchers in Ont. For each eight weeks you have paid, you get one. If you ask at your meeting, they can just count back through your book. They do come in handy.

Anne
Old 04-25-2001, 11:28 AM   #13  

As for WW losing money if someone doesn't come... I don't know about any other centers but our is always PACKED. Literally hundreds at every meeting. When you look at the box after box after box of pre-paid cards, at $10 or more a week, and see the line of people waiting to pay their $12.00 (after you park 3 blocks away), I can't see how a missed meeting or two would kill them. Our center makes a killing, I'm sure.

Although I don't mind paying for missed meetings.

Susan
Old 04-25-2001, 01:11 PM   #14  

WW does the same thing to lifetimers, in a way. If you don't attend one meeting a month, you have to pay, even if you are at or below goal.
Closed Thread