Old 11-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #1  
Where am I?

S/C/G: 300

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Unhappy Really lost at the moment

Hi everyone. I've done WW in the past (about 5 years ago) and it worked BRILLIANTLY! Since then, to make a long story short as possible, I developed some health issues, went through a horrendously emotionally and sexually abusive relationship... and have gained a TREMENDOUS amount of weight. I'm 290 lbs at the moment, and about 3 years ago my weight hovered around 128-135 lbs. I'm devastated by the severe and rapid decline of my health, and I have no support network and need to talk to someone--hoping someone here has gone through this.

I re-joined WW about 1.5 years ago, lost 11 lbs (mostly water) in the first month, then not a thing for 8 months following. I finally just gave up. Also should add.. I don't have a thyroid condition.

Over the past year my weight has gone up roughly 90 lbs, with 70 of that being in the last 6-8 months. No joke. I think it's due to a combination of things including, but not limited to, 3 heart arrhythmias (ablations for that was one year ago) that made me weak and fatigued, severe chronic pain no doctor can find the cause for, and more. And it just gets worse and worse.

I've recently been diagnosed with grade 1 NASH, but my GI doctor doesn't discuss anything with me and just says "Lose weight." Also diagnosed with Grade 2 Diastolic Dysfunction, and other issues with my heart have worsened, and I've developed issues with all the valves (have a long history of MVP since childhood, but now there's moderate regurgitation). I have mild, scattered scarring on lungs and a pulmonary nodule (12 mm) they're watching (I'm a non-smoker). And iron deficiency anemia, of which I've had two recent IV iron infusions. High cholesterol, high triglycerides, high BP... all pointing to Metabolic Syndrome.. though none of the doctors have even addressed that.

It's going to sound stupid, but I'm so ill, meaning I feel like I have the worst flu of my life (been the case for some time but is getting worse and worse) that I've not even begun to start the WW plan again---and I've been paying for it for several months now. I can't seem to get motivated, especially when standing up much of the time makes me feel weak, and I begin to sweat like I'm running uphill... when I'm just standing still.

I'm married, but my husband is totally indifferent to everything going on with me. NO support network at all due to living in a new city and not knowing anyone and not feeling well enough to go anywhere.

Last but not least.. I'm going through menopause, and I don't mean I 'think' I am based on symptoms, but confirmed with blood tests that shows my hormones in the BOTTOM range of "post menopausal." My testosterone level is 0.0...

I can't use HRT due to a TIA I had in 2013.

I don't even know where to begin now. I have complete exercise intolerance, though I've tried to walk, do crunches, squats (without weights) for years. In fact, I used to teach dance, was an avid gym-goer, and was thin. I know which came first, the chicken or the egg in this case... because I remember making the decision to stop going to the gym because I could no longer do anything there and would leave pale, exhausted in all the wrong ways, and with dark circles under my eyes. I would get home and take a 3 hr nap to try and recuperate.

My weight gain happened due to lifestyle changes that were forced upon me. I could no longer work out, teach dance, etc.. and the weight started coming on. In 2010 I began to try walking again, and this is when I did WW the first time. I lost 125 lbs without a hitch, without a plateau or stall. This is about the same time I got into that bad relationship, and I began to feel bad, exhaustion, emotionally just wracked by what was going on. My arrhythmias were getting worse as well, and no insurance meant no doctors. Eventually this lead to having the TIA.

Gosh... so much for a long story short, huh? :/ Sorry about that. I guess I'm just overwhelmed and have no one to talk to.

I guess the lack of a support network, a husband that often does things to undermine my efforts, not being able to work out, all the health issues... I don't know how to begin, what to do, what to think, and I don't know how to get past the depression that's setting in from all of this.

Just really lost beyond words.

Have any of you gone through this?... at all? Ever?

For anyone brave and patient enough to read through all of this... thank you.

E
Boo_and_Junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

BooandJunk So sorry to hear you are going through all this Have you considered talking to a counselor that specializes in counseling individuals through difficult medical issues? It sounds like you have a lot going on and someone to talk to who understands what you are going through and how to help might be super helpful. I am sorry I don't have more to offer you, but good luck
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #3  
Where am I?

Yes... I've actually pretty much decided to find a counselor. I'm just so doggone unmotivated I've made no move on that. I know depression is happening, but I'm on a blood thinner (because of the TIA I had in 2013 and the arrhythmias I had..which I received ablations for), so I couldn't take an antidepressant of any kind whatsoever.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #4  
Where am I?

PS... HaveDogWillDiet.. can you tell me how to subscribe to forums and threads? I've looked everywhere on how to do this and can't seem to find out how to do this.

Thanks for your reply, btw... much much appreciated.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_and_Junk View Post
PS... HaveDogWillDiet.. can you tell me how to subscribe to forums and threads? I've looked everywhere on how to do this and can't seem to find out how to do this.

Thanks for your reply, btw... much much appreciated.
If you click on "Thread Tools" and there should be an option to "subscribe" which you can use to subscribe to an individual thread. Then under "Quick Links" you can see click on "Subscribed Threads" to see them. To have a setting that every thread you post on you are auto-subscribed to, go to "Edit Options" on the left hand side and under "default thread subscription mode" you choose how you want to be notified or if you do at all. For example I have chosen "No email notification" which means I am autosubscribed but I don't get an email each time there is a new post. Choose whatever works for you. Hope that helps!
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_and_Junk View Post
Yes... I've actually pretty much decided to find a counselor. I'm just so doggone unmotivated I've made no move on that. I know depression is happening, but I'm on a blood thinner (because of the TIA I had in 2013 and the arrhythmias I had… which I received ablations for), so I couldn't take an antidepressant of any kind whatsoever.
I'm sorry so much is happening to you! It's hard when everything gets inter-tangled with each other... because where do you start untangling?

Maybe I can help a bit with the depression part. Depression is an insidious beast, it becomes a battle in your own mind... there are options outside of popping another prescription that can help. Please keep in mind I am not a doctor, and I don't understand all of the acronyms you have going on-so please filter and talk to your doctor accordingly.

If you find a counselor (I hope you do!) ask about alternative therapies. They are out there, they have been studied and found to be helpful. Talk therapy is incredibly helpful, it has basically been the main lynchpin to pull me out of my pit. Different counselors are different... so if the first one isn't working so well, try another. It's hard... but really, truly helps.

Light therapy has helped me a nice bit. I know SAD is mixed in with my d. I turn on my light box while reading my Bible in the morning. If you're not religious, find something positive to start your day with. (music?) If you are religious, get plugged into your higher power and your church; self-care of the soul is good for you. Meditation has positive affects - mindful meditation is a good place to start. Exercise of any kind is a natural boost - even a 10 minute walk has benefits... double bonus if it's during sunlight hours. The hardest part truly is getting started.

Personally I find that giving back to the world in some way lifts me. Whether it's purging a closet and donating, or buying a box of diapers for a shelter, or spending time volunteering somewhere, by giving what I have to others, I feel better and richer with what I have. Double bonus if I'm working alongside people. I don't know if there are any studies... frankly I don't care. This is what works for me.

Supplement-wise, I take a b-complex, a woman's multivitamin, and some fish oil. (Barlean's swirl flavors have no burps.) This is where you will need to use some discernment alongside your current health. B-vitamins are a known boost, I take a complex so I don't have to worry about how much of which. If you have questions, your dr's nurses should be able to answer about these fairly easily I would imagine.

The hard part is doing them on the days that you don't feel so great. Those are the days you need to take care of yourself the most... but you feel like it the least. But it becomes like brushing your teeth in a way - it becomes part of your routine and then it's less work.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote