Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 09:03 AM   #1  

Angry

Saskie ~

My initial personal goal was 130. But, I plateaued at 134, and have never been able to get much lower than that (about a week at 132), so I realized that after a few months of struggling, that my body was happy and comfortable at 134. I am 5'7" tall. I usually walk 2 miles a day over my 1/2 hour lunch, 4 days a week, and then try to make it to the gym to work on the nautilus equipment 2-3 days a week. While at the gym I usually walk the track too, a little over 4 miles in an hour. I have been working out for more than a year, pretty consistantly though. When I started, it was a few nautilus exercises (when I say, nautilus, I mean the weight equipment that works your legs, arms etc.) mostly for my legs, and then walking at a comfortable pace for 30 minutes. I am almost at a power walk speed now.

I found you have to figure out what is best for you. On the days that I know I cannot fit working out in (hey, it happens to everyone, we are busy women!!) I try to stay at the lower end of my points by eating lots of veggies, ww bread, fruit, stir fry and such. The days I work out and walk, I can eat pretty good, and many times end up eating 26-28 pts in a day, I have found that when you consistantly work out, your body really needs fuel. When I would workout and still eat 18-20 pts a day, I would sometimes GAIN that week, my body would think it was in the starvation mode and retain what it had. So, it is important to eat enough especially the days that you are exercising.

Also I have found over the last year of maintenence, is that there are 3 keys to weight loss, at least for me:

1. tracking points - I am terrible at portion control, and I have found that as long as I track, I do better with the portions, I am not a bad eater (fast food and such) just tend to eat too much in one sitting. I have for the most part tracked for the last 2 years, and realize that I will have to the rest of my life.

2. Water!! - I have to drink 64 or more oz. of water in a day, and double that on the days that I work out, I have found on the weeks I slack on the water, but nothing else, I will either stay the same weight, or many times be up.

3. Walking - I think that the weight lifting has been great for me for toning, but walking is the key to losing weight, and I have lost weight everywhere because of it, my face, stomach, legs, butt, it is the perfect exercise for me. Plus, I walk with a friend, you don't realize you have just walked 4 miles when you are bookin' it with someone else.

Boy, can I write a book, or what! You may want to try to stay at the higher points within your range for a week, and see what your weight is, since you said that you only stay in your range 2-3 days and only gain .2 to .4 that week, it makes me think that you have a pretty good metabolism. So, if you stick in the middle to high for the week, I bet you lose. Worth a shot!!

Hope this helps, sorry about being so long winded!!
Old 03-13-2001, 10:52 AM   #2  

TonyaLyn,
Thank you so much for sharing your tips and story, its totally helpful to hear how things work for other people! I also journal every day, even when the points are going through the roof. Now that I have buckled down and decided to give the program another serious shot, staying on pts isn't hard.
I walked a lot (daily) for the first 5 months of the program, and lost over 50lbs. Since January I have started weight lifting and cardio at the gym, and walk much less. That is also when my pts started to vary, and the weight loss significantly slowed down. I think I will follow your example and get back to walking on a more regular basis, in addition to the gym. 134 is awesome, you must be so proud of yourself for reaching your personal goal and maintaining it. Thats great! What is your WW goal? Do you still attend meetings?
Thanks again!
~tara
Old 03-13-2001, 11:15 AM   #3  

Saskie ~

Thanks for the kind words! My WW goal was 140, and I still attend meetings, they help especially when my enthusiasm for the program would get down. I do faithfully weigh each week, whether I think I am up or down. I find that when I am up, and know it, seeing the number on the scale kicks my butt back into the losing mode and I have better willpower then.

Good luck, I know you can do it!!
Old 03-13-2001, 01:54 PM   #4  

TonyaLyn,
It is so great to hear all the things you have to say- so many of them are things that I have also been doing, but am just not sure if they are right or not. It helps to hear you confirm them!
Do you ever have days/weeks where you just get super hungry? You said that you sometimes don't have time to workout, and just adjust your food pts- does that work? During your maintenance, have you had much variation from week to week in your weight? Do you ever miss a week of weighing in, or is it constant?
I find that I look forward to the weigh in, even when I have had a not so great week!
Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2001, 02:14 PM   #5  

Many times I go a couple weeks without weighing in. For me it isn't a big deal. In the past year I have fluctuated about 4 pounds, weighing between 134-138, but usually stay at 134. If I don't drink my water in a week, I am almost sure to gain a pound or two, but if I hit my water hard the next week, I am back down to 134.

There are many days I am super hungry, and when I am, I eat what I crave, and try to make up for it for the rest of the day, or I chalk it up to lessons learned, and do better the next day. I really enjoy food, and have found for myself, if I workout 4 days a week (an hour or two at a time) then I can afford to "screw up" a couple days during the week, and still maintain that week. It works for me, not for everyone.

I really try to weigh in even on weeks I know I did terrible. Seeing the number on the scale (the gain) makes me recommit to getting the gain off, and tends to give me more willpower.

If you ever want to email me its: [email protected]. Sometimes you try everything and you are still stuck at a plateau, be patient, it will come off eventually!!

I just looked at your stats, you have done awesome!!!!!! Wow, so much weight gone!! Way to go!! Also, I think that when you lose weight, it takes your body a while to adjust, it is used to having that weight around, you may have to give the ol' bod' a chance to deal with it!!

Last edited by TonyaLyn; 03-13-2001 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2001, 03:16 PM   #6  

tonyalyn,
thanks again for all your advice! i can't think of any more qu for now, but i will for sure keep you in mind if i think of any! that is so great that you have stayed within a four lb range for so long. you are totally an inspiration to me!
my email is [email protected] if you ever need to chat!
well, its off to class....*yawn*
thanks again!
Closed Thread