Old 06-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #1  

Unhappy Just joined WW, a little desperate with some questions, advice and encouragement!

Hi! - A little long, but I would love if someone would kindly take the time to read

So, a little background - I recently turned 18, and have finally decided that I'm ready to lose weight for myself. Not to get a date, to make my mother feel better - I know I need too, and I think I'm finally ready!

I have been overweight my entire life, and obese (I really hate that word) for probably at least a quarter of it. So, I have no idea what it's really like to feel "free" and not have weight weighing me down - Doctors would probably be happier if I were to lose around 150 - 200 pounds, but at this point I would be static to get under 300 (Because I haven't remembered being under that weight for the longest time!) And then probably even be happy with being around 250.

I'm 5'6 (Closer to 5'7) at 350 pounds - And I've never said that publicly, to a best friend, or even my own mother. My body shape is an apple, so most of my weight goes towards my stomach - If I could flatten that some, well we would be in business! Lol

I've tried losing weight before, and even Weight Watchers for a short duration, and I would see a little improvement, but nothing more and it was VERY discouraging for me, and with being young, it really has been hard for me to get back on the horse.

I don't like exercising, and it wouldn't be nearly as bad if I didn't have plantar fasciitis, causing my feet to hurt really bad when walking for just 10 minutes. I own an elliptical and plan to use it a lot more, but this is only my first week of Weight Watchers and I'm still really pushing myself to go out and exercise.

The eating part of it has been really good so far. I have a higher PP value, and I'm not using all of my points, and I'm not hating it either! I'm actually waiting to eat until I'm hungry for once. No emotional, or bored eating - The only problem is I know you're suppose to eat small meals and snacks, I'm mostly just eating meals and snacking at night (But I figure I can work on it as I keep going on!)

I have so many questions and worries about the weight loss, though - and then I remember that I only just started again this week (Which also gets me a little discouraged). I see people who have lost weight, and they look great - but then I get the fear of loose skin and when am I ever going to get rid of this double chin (I can deal with chubby cheeks!).

I guess I'm just fishing for some encouragement and any advice from current or form Weight Watchers users. I've read some posts that people have actually lost a decent amount of weight without working-out on the program. I know it's important, and like I said, I plan to get there.

I know I'm young, and it's still going to take a long time to lose the weight... slow and steady wins the race - but I'm still a little... scared, I guess.

This is almost a last resort. The only thing I can think of is weightloss surgery, and that feels like the biggest failure to me - I let myself get this far, and now I can't even get the weight off.
Lluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/142/135

Height: 5'4"

Lluna - welcome!!! I don't do WW, so I don't have any specific info for you there, but I just wanted to welcome you to 3FC and congratulate you on taking a huge step towards reaching your goals! 3FC is an EXCELLENT resource for info and support, it's helped to keep me honest and motivated just by reading it every day.

I am a huge fan of exercise, but I completely agree with the idea that you can get started on your journey without incorporating it at the moment. I think that you will ultimately be happier with your end result the earlier you do incorporate it, but true weight loss is done in the kitchen, not in the gym. There's a belief that goes something like - good eating habits will make you look good in clothes, while good exercise habits will make you look good naked

I also think that taking on too much at the beginning can set yourself up for failure. So if all those changes feel overwhelming at the moment, just focus on your eating! And just focus on a few small goals there at a time. Don't try to be perfect, just try to do the best you can today to reach those baby steps. Little by little, add more

I'm really sleepy and this post may not make a lot of sense... But best of luck to you in getting started!!
KindaSortaAthlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Welcome Lluna!!

I do weight Watchers, and I find it to be very reasonable to work with =) The great thing about the points is that it is very flexible, and I find it's easy to keep track of it throughout the day. It's also more forgiving if you eat something not quite on plan...just calculate the points, and work around it the rest of the day.

Start small. The first change I made was to stop drinking soda and sugared beverages. I only drink water, or add a little unsweetened cranberry juice if I want flavor. After I conquered that, I incorporated taking my dogs for a walk 3 times a week. After that, I started working on the elliptical for 15 minutes, then a half hour, then 45 min, then an hour, etc.

You can definitely do it without exercise...it's all about calories in vs calories out. Your body needs to be using more calories than it's taking in to lose, and that's what the point system will help control for you. And another great thing is that the weight loss is slower and controlled, so while you may still have some excess skin, it will have more time to bounce back than if you were doing a crash diet for really fast weight loss. You're young, so there's a lot more elasticity. I don't know if it's proven to help or not, but I use a firming lotion all over my stomach, thighs and arms (the parts where I have the most fat and would end up with more skin), and it makes me feel better, even if it really does nothing more than moisturize lol!

Just keep in mind that the weight loss may not be so fast, and there may be times where it goes up instead of down (usually due to water retention). But you are worth it! Keep telling yourself that! YOU ARE WORTH IT! We all stumble from time to time, we are human, but always get right back on track and you will do great, I just know it!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/196.3/130

Height: 5'2

Welcome Lluna!!

I do weight Watchers, and I find it to be very reasonable to work with =) The great thing about the points is that it is very flexible, and I find it's easy to keep track of it throughout the day. It's also more forgiving if you eat something not quite on plan...just calculate the points, and work around it the rest of the day.

Start small. The first change I made was to stop drinking soda and sugared beverages. I only drink water, or add a little unsweetened cranberry juice if I want flavor. After I conquered that, I incorporated taking my dogs for a walk 3 times a week. After that, I started working on the elliptical for 15 minutes, then a half hour, then 45 min, then an hour, etc.

You can definitely do it without exercise...it's all about calories in vs calories out. Your body needs to be using more calories than it's taking in to lose, and that's what the point system will help control for you. And another great thing is that the weight loss is slower and controlled, so while you may still have some excess skin, it will have more time to bounce back than if you were doing a crash diet for really fast weight loss. You're young, so there's a lot more elasticity. I don't know if it's proven to help or not, but I use a firming lotion all over my stomach, thighs and arms (the parts where I have the most fat and would end up with more skin), and it makes me feel better, even if it really does nothing more than moisturize lol!

Just keep in mind that the weight loss may not be so fast, and there may be times where it goes up instead of down (usually due to water retention). But you are worth it! Keep telling yourself that! YOU ARE WORTH IT! We all stumble from time to time, we are human, but always get right back on track and you will do great, I just know it!!
Buffinlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

As Buffinlovin said start with small changes. If I were you I would get the eating situation down first then add in exercise. You can do it without exercise I did the first time around.
It is really important to eat all of your points. Follow the plan as written otherwise you aren't doing WW.Plan your meals around the good health guidelines. If you could post a typical menu you are eating maybe I can offer some tips.
About loose skin etc. You are very young so I don't see that as too much of an issue. Exercise will definitely firm things up as you lose weight.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #6  
They call me Nunu!

Height: 170 cms/ 5’7

Hi there!
I´m not doing WW but just wanted to say hi and wish you the best!
I would advise being more active, maybe exercise is not for you (although I think it´s important health wise) but being active can make a huge difference, walk a bit more around the house, if you´re going to the 4th floor take the elevator to the 3rd and then use the stairs for 1 floor, etc, little things add up!

Last edited by FiftyFive; 06-23-2013 at 11:36 AM.
FiftyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #7  
Level 5 Vegan

S/C/G: 289/171/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi there! I didn't worry about adding activity into my routine until I had a couple of months of WW under my belt. I took the first few months to really learn as much as I could and focus on making healthy choices. I think making changes one by one, instead of trying to change everything at once, was huge in making this a lifestyle change instead of a diet I quickly became frustrated with.

Best of luck!!!
PUPMOM5 is offline   Reply With Quote