Old 10-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #1  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Default weight gain patterns

I went up a little bit this week, which I sort of anticipated after having two big weeks in a row, but it was still disappointing because I earned (and ate) 30 AP and didn't touch any of my weeklies.

BUT

Then I was looking through my weight loss chart thing and realized that with a rare exception, every month I go up at some point. And the dates (going back to April) are are 4/11, 5/16, 6/13, 8/8 and 9/19, which means the 10th of October falls right in line with the pattern. I can't really find an exact relationship with my TOM cycle, except that three of the months the weight gain has been two weeks after my TOM week (today is three weeks after).

It's not an exact science, and while I know gains are a natural part of a weight loss journey, I feel way less frustrated realizing this happens every month and just about at this time, too.

Last edited by Tudor Rose; 10-10-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #2  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

I'm not on weight watchers but I'm going to jump in here. I noticed the same thing in my weight loss pattern as well. Mine usually goes up at the beginning of the month and then slowly goes back down within a week or so. It's really frustrating. The time I see a gain is not even TOM so I don't know why it's happening.

Last edited by Ryler832; 10-10-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Some people bloat during ovulation, which is midcycle between TOM. Most ppl bloat much more with TOM, but you may be the exception.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #4  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
Some people bloat during ovulation, which is midcycle between TOM. Most ppl bloat much more with TOM, but you may be the exception.
I think I might be, because I actually tend to lose at least 1 lb, sometimes more like 2, after TOM.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I usually gain a lot of weight before TOM (and lose it plus extra immediately after), but when I was paying attention to my ovulation (trying to conceive) I noticed a pound or two of bloating around then. It turns out that's pretty common, but most women won't notice because ovulation doesn't announce itself the way TOM does.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are essentially two causese of frustration

1. reality not meeting our expectations

2. social conditioning (we're frustrated because our cultural upbringing tells us we're supposed to be - we see most people getting frustrated in a specific situation, so we learn that frustration is the appropriate response to that situation).

With weight loss, both of those conditions are generally met. We're taught to react with frustration, even at situations that deserve celebration, not disappointment.

Mostly, I think because we don't really have a good grasp of reality. We assume that everyone else (or at least a very large number of people) are doing so much better than us.

"This time" has been different (by far the most weight I've lost, and the longest time I've stuck with weight loss, and have maintained a weight loss), and I think one of the reasons is my lack of frustration.

I've learned to save frustration for situations that truly deserve it (and I've found there really aren't all that many).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Sounds completely normal to me. I weigh daily and I "gain" (ehem, retain water) during TOM and ovulation. I tend to see all my loses after ovulation and before TOM so I tend to get a few whooshes and then TOM shows up and we start it all over again.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 259/227/175

Height: 5"10

My weight always shoots up the week before aunt flo comes to town, sometimes by as much as 5lbs :-( but to be fair it always disapears by day2/3. I think some women are more prone to it than others, at least you have noticed a (sort of) pattern, so that when it happens it wont get you down. :-)
chazma is offline   Reply With Quote