Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #1  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Default Counting Down To 250 and Beyond .....June 21st

Welcome to all who venture here!

We are a group who have a lot to lose and come here for friendship and support in our journey to good healthy and lost pounds. Most of us are using the Weight Watchers program.

Feel free to jump right in and join us!
Old 06-21-2002, 11:48 AM   #2  

This has to be quick. I'm off to Kingston, Ont. for the weekend. I'm packing Turkey sandwiches and pickles for my lunches. Only one big dinner planned for tomorrow night and I know the menu so I think I'll be OK. Wish me luck! I'm taking my journal, like a good WW member. Hope I don't lose it!

Linda, I printed your wonderful post to keep for inspiration. Thank you!

Talk to you all no later than Mon. night after WI.

Everyone do your best to have a lovely, OP weekend!
Old 06-21-2002, 05:54 PM   #3  
Slimwithin

j-ann - thanks for starting the new thread. Hope everybody finds us ok.
terri here is a website with oodles of salsa recipes. I think if you want to can your salsa, you would just process them in a hot water bath similar to plain tomatoes. http://hotx.com/hotsalsa/
There are lots of websites with salsa recipes so you'd just have to do a search.

Today was my WI and I was disappointed that I stayed exactly the same as last week. I really had my heart set on getting my 10% but when I think about it, I did have a couple of "over the top" days this past week so I suppose I didn't really deserve to lose those last 2 pounds I need before I can set a new goal. Had a little chat with my leader but she couldn't tell me anything I didn't know already. I can't believe it's taken me over a YEAR to lose this first 30 pounds!! Bummer! Well, I guess the WW organization will be getting rich off of me.

Our temps will be in the mid-80s today so I am staying indoors. I had a lovely swim early this morning before my WW meeting. Very refreshing. The staff at the pool had opened the big sliding glass doors so we had fresh air coming in, and the view of the Coast Mountains through the big windows was really spectacular.

Well, that's all for now. Have a good weekend, Chicks.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:12 PM   #4  

Hi , My name is Kathy . I used to post in the " 200 in ----- " thread . I hadn't posted in awhile & everyone has gone , I guess . I started at W.W. on May 22 1998 at 344.7 pounds . I lost 80 pounds in a year , the following year I lost another 20 . Then my life was turned around . My son & his two kids (& their mom for awhile ) moved in for 8 months . The mom moved out after 4 months . They reconciled after 4 more months . They broke up . In June of last year the kids came to visit their dad & I for 2 weeks . Its a year later & now I have legal custody of the kids . Their dad lives nearby , but may as well be an uncle for all the parenting he does . So..... After the last 2 years of turmoil I have gained back 26 pounds aprox . I have continued going to my weekly meetings . And I now work for Weight Watchers as a member helper . This is a new unpaid position available . I get my meetings free & products 1/2 price . I don't weigh people or do money . I'm a gopher & I answer questions . I am such a stress eater . These kids both have ADHD . Now that I have legal custody , I have them on meds , which helps . They are both so sweet , but a handfull . Kati is 4 & Christopher is 6 .

One thing that is neat is that I used to be the only WW person in my Dept. , now there are 4 plus more joining . We recently had a breakfast potluck & alot of the food was WW friendly . They recently started a WW at work program where I work , but I prefer my saturday morning . Tomorrow is weigh-in for me & i don't really expect great things . last week I was very good & only lost .6 . I know that's better than gaining .

I love this time of the year , all the glorious fruit & flowers ! Nice to meet you all . Kathy
Old 06-23-2002, 05:44 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hello ladies!

Its a hot, hazy day in the midwest. I'm hiding inside and the dogs are loving being in the cool garage.

I had a great weekend with my sister. She brought her bike along too. I got there first and rode on the trail by myself for almost two hours. I love riding on the rail-to-trails - breezing through the country, smelling all the wonderful smells--wild roses, fresh hay, cow manure--heaven! Then I rode again with her in the evening. I was very proud of her for riding four miles as she's not into exercise or athletic things. We rode another four miles this morning. I was thrilled to get in 25 miles this weekend and I realize how much I miss my bike riding. It was a lot easier 40 pounds ago.

One of my old high school classmates emailed me about planning a 25 year class reunion next year. I hated high school because I was overweight and didn't fit into any group - I just hung around on the fringes of all the groups. But I'm thrilled to be involved and I told my DH that I want to go but I want to go in better shape than this.

Kathleen - Welcome to our group. I used to lurk in on the 200 Thread so I've seen your journey and challenges over the last year or so. Your grandkids need someone stable in their lives and its so great that you are there for them. Keep hanging in there and trying to keep the stress eating under control. You've done so well at what you've lost. We'll be here to listen and support as you need while you face the future challenges with your grandkids.

Linda - Thanks for the website info. I've never canned before but its something I want to conquer. I just need to research the recipes and get to experiementing! I've been threatening DH that I'm going to join the Y so I can do aqua aerobics or really learn to swim.

That reminds me. I conquered a huge fear of mine this weekend and that's going to a hotel swimming pool while other people were around. We played around in the pool for awhile and even stayed around when the girls softball team showed up in their bikinis. I wasn't thrilled about the coach/dad's hanging on the balcony right above the hot tub we were in because I was certain they could see down my suit. I just ignored them. But I got out in front of them and walked back to my chair like I was in a bikini myself! That is so intimidating for me.

Everyone else, hope you are having a good weekend and have a great start of the week. I better get to the laundry.

Take care.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:31 PM   #6  

Hi all ,
Thanks for the welcome Terri . I hate going to public pools , too . Congrats on your bravery . You are an inspiration with your bike , I can't imagine riding that many miles . I used to love riding bikes , but now the seats kill me .

I didn't know what to expect at weigh in as i've been terrible about journaling . Also last week I thought I should have a good loss & lost .6 . I was pleasently surprised , I lost 3.8 this week . Yeah .... . I hope everyone has a great week . Kathy
Old 06-23-2002, 07:27 PM   #7  
Slimwithin

Welcome, Kathy I think you should be very proud of yourself, not only for the marvelous weight loss you've had but also what you're doing for those children. It's a good thing that you are tackling that 26 lb gain NOW rather than waiting until it's 80 lb. We are here to help you when and where we can. We're all fighting the same battle here.

Wow, Determined , congratulations on the bike riding. I haven't ridden an actual bike in years, mainly because the last time I tried I was too fat to fit between the handlebars and the seat. I used to really enjoy it though and we have lots of back country roads around here where I could probably ride safely.
Also congratulations on facing your fears of public pool swimming. I am only 5'4-1/2" tall and 272 lb (mostly in my middle) and when I pour my barrel shape into a swim suit it is NOT a pretty sight. But I do it. I do it three times a week and I don't care if anybody thinks I look like a blimp. When I look around me I see all shapes and sizes. One fellow is so heavy that his swim suit won't stay above his big belly so he tucks it under and then it hangs off his backside so we have a good view of a "grand canyon" I don't think he cares and at least he's trying. Some women carry all their weight in their boobs, and others have small tops and huge hips. I've only met two women whose bodies I could say I envy and they both work hard at keeping that sleek look. They are working so hard that they have no time to notice me and I think most people are that way. They are too concerned about their own problems to find fault with others.
Today I've been weeding my garden. It's SO much easier for me this year compared to last summer when I was nearly 30 lb heavier. I tend to stay out in the sun too long, which I did today, but it's so great to be able to do it I just don't know when to quit.
Dinner tonight is Chicken Fajitas from one of those frozen kits. We've had it before and it isn't bad and the points aren't too high either. I really must get busy and precook some meals though. The first cool, rainy day we have I will get busy and make myself some meals I can just nuke on those days I'm too busy to cook.
Old 06-24-2002, 08:50 PM   #8  

Well, here I am, back from Canada and back OP. Like Linda, I stayed the same ths week. That's really ok because the dinner I thought I was getting on Saturday turned out to be a gourmet's delight!

WRNING: SKIP THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IF READING ABOUT FOOD MAKES YOU EAT!

They started with 3 lovely appetizers, bruchetta's topped woth asagio cheese and a red and yellow pepper compote (Yummm, only had one) a bite size pastry filled with churisso sausage ( 1 again) and a veg. spring roll in rice wrapper with a dipping sauce (passed on this one...doen't it figure?). Home made breads and HOME MADE butter. (I had a couple kinds of bread but just the tiniest taste of the butter.) Grilled pork chop with a apple-red pepper sauce, an herbed brown and wild rice combination (Finally, something "good for me") and herbed string beans and carrots. And yes i ate dessert. I picked the fruit tart thinking it would not be too bad , ha ha, ha! A 3" wide tart shell with just a really low rim (Thank God) filled with cremefresh and topped with ice cold strawberries, blue, red and black berries and kiwi with a spritz of raspberry sauce and a nice dollop of whipped cream on the side. Low cal/low-fat? I don't think so.
I'd figured I'd walked off at least 1/2 the calories/pts. during the day.

Kingston has changed a lot since my last trip there, years ago. There were as may people out and about at midnight as there were at noon! Lot's of street side cafe's etc.

KATHY: Welcome to the group. Glad you found us and CONGRAT's on that loss. There are now 5 or 6 folks in the small building where I work that have joined WW because of my success. Keeps me on the straight and narrow most of the time. You are dealing with so much but remembering to take care of yourself. GOOD FOR YOU!

TERRI: You Rode a BIKE? I am soo jealous. I just can't get comfy on one yet. Maybe by the Fall or even next Spring I'll be on one. It's one of my "future" goals! Glad you got to the pool. I know how tough it is but the pleasure makes it worth the stress doesn't it?? (Honey, you haven't seen big thighs til you've seen mine! But In my a.j. class there's a lady with even bigger legs and she's smaller on top than me. I guess we are all different and we have to learn to accept ourselves as we are.)

It was wickedly hot and muggy yesterday when I got home so I'm trying to play "catch-up" around the house tonight.
Old 06-24-2002, 09:03 PM   #9  

OOPS! Almost forgot ... Here's a P.S. to my last post:

YOO HOO, BUNNY,

Where are you?? HOW are you?? We all miss you. Please stop in amd visit. How's you daughter?

Your friend,
Old 06-25-2002, 12:09 AM   #10  
Still Hanging Around:)

Default Hi All:)

I am going to my first WW meeting on Wednesday. I'm starting to get a bit nervous... but I'm also really excited. I'm totally new to WW, so looking for lots of information, advice, support... You name it! LOL!! I'm surfing the threads tonight, just checking everything out!

Looking forward to chatting
Old 06-25-2002, 02:11 PM   #11  

I was hoping if I showed up to post today I'd make it in before y'all noticed I was missing. Drat!

Its been busy here - we're catching up on our business after several months of being in and out of town. The girls are back from their grandparents now and we're "deprogramming" them - they always return so accustomed to getting their way in all things. Yikes!

We haven't yet secured our insurance for the girls (though I got an email this morning telling me we'd been approved) so we haven't gotten further in finding out what the next step for Els' back is. She's taking it all with good humour - even knowing as she does that both surgery and bracing are likely.

I've finally stopped drifting up, weight wise, and begun the drift down again. I'm knitting instead of snacking while watching television most nights - and we're back to regularly walking three times a week as well.

Its wonderful to see so many new faces - and as wonderful to see so many familiar ones.

Keep on keepin' on, ladies!
Old 06-25-2002, 10:48 PM   #12  

Sandi , welcome to Weight Watchers . It's kind of intimidating at first , but I get so much out of the meetings . I love the meetings . Just like Linda said about her swimming , There is every shape & size . Such commradery .
I loved water aerobics , I wish I could go now . Since I don't have to pay for W.W. I could afford it , but I don't have anyone to watch the munchkins . I feel so weightless in the pool . & the exercise is so invigorating .
See y'all soon . Kathy
Old 06-27-2002, 08:50 AM   #13  

Good Morning Ladies!!

I was invited by Linda to jump over to this thread. I know it's a good, friendly one because I remember Kathy's DS and grandkids living with her and I remember Linda and Bunny posting (when I was here about a year ago).

I'm not quite 250, but have been off and on WW and just dieting so often, that I've inched back up close to it. Heck, we'll call it 250 and I'll have a bigger loss! I'd like to lose 100+ pounds, but it won't go away just by wishing it away (I've tried that a lot lately. )

See, Bunny? You're not alone and I can relate. "I feel your pain."

sandi: That first week of WW is always an adventurous time. You're starting fresh, you're motivated. It's a great place to start to make YOU a top priority again. I hope you've found a class where really good things will happen for you.

j-ann: I've noticed, too, how people can be so different, yet so the same. I watch people at the mall sometimes just to see how different they are and their actions and expressions. I still am amazed at how two people can weigh the same and be shaped so opposite.

Linda: My family loooooves salsa (and I do occasionally). Thanks for the info. Yum, yum. * My hat goes off to anyone who will work out in the heat in their garden or flowers. Just be careful and don't overdo.

Kathy: WOW! Congrats on your fear of public swimsuit displays. I don't even own one. I'm still fearful of just trying one on and seeing myself in it.

I am having a b'day party for my mom's 78th on Sunday. I've been trying to get the house in tip-top shape. (Believe me, it IS exercise.) She has yet to find out that about 40 of our relatives will be arriving.

Just over the last couple days, I've started doing WW at home. Was a little upset with joining (again) about a month ago. My first week I only lost 2#, then I lost 1#, got sick and gained a 1.5 back, then lost 1/2#. That was it - for me and spending any more $$. Okay, so patience isn't one of my strong points. I've decided to do my best and weigh in at the doctor's office once a month. (That will keep me honest, but far enough from the scale to avoid an obsessing relationship with it.)

I hope you have a wonderful day.

annie
Old 06-27-2002, 09:13 PM   #14  

Welcome Annie , You seem to have a good sense of humour , which definately helps . A party of 40 , that's quite a bunch . Do you have a big house ? My house is so tiny that 10 people feels like a crowd . My family is having a family reunion in August & i'm hoping to take off some of what I regained , by then . We're having it at a park . On one hand that's great , I don't have to worry about my house . On the other hand both of the grandkids that live with me have ADHD & there's a lake at this park . So i'll probably get alot of exercise . There's a wonderful trail around the lake , too . I just worry about kids + water . EEK ! weigh-in is in 2 days & it's been one of those weeks .

Kathy
Old 06-28-2002, 07:49 AM   #15  

Ah, swimsuits. A topic near and dear to my (hidden behind the jiggling flesh) heart. I've always been a fan of swimsuits - but I rather hate the water ... I'm actually afraid of it really, and only learned how to swim as an adult. But swimsuits - wow! There are so few opportunities for fat chicks to dress scantily and yet not stand out -- excepting the swimsuit! I've always worn a bikini - or at least I have since finding that they do make them for fat chicks. Indeed, right now I'm swimsuit-less because I've undergrown my 22/24 and not yet shrinked enough for my 18-20. It works out okay though because we don't have a swimming pool handy and I've never been one to sunbathe.

You have to keep in mind though that I'm one of those strange women who dress almost exclusively in clothes that society would tell you are too short or too plunging for my body. I buy s skirt and hem it up by 4" or more. I don't buy shirts unless I can alter them to accent my body to its best advantage.

"Have hips, will show them off."

Closed Thread